Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Thanks Obama - delay after delay after extension after extension -- kicking that can down the road.
Trump Administration announced early that there would be NO more extensions.

I love this stuff! ...... CRISIS, OUTRAGE, Panic in the Streets .... I didn't KNOW!!!

ACI-NA President and CEO Kevin Burke told NBC News that "this is a crisis waiting to happen."

"If the government doesn't make a definitive statement now that they're going to extend this, then we're going to have a real crisis on our hands come Oct. 1," he said.

Congress passed the Real ID law after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, to create a single, robust national standard for all states and territories.

The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedure standards for drivers' licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.

The law sets forth requirements for state drivers' licenses and ID cards to be accepted by the federal government for "official purposes", as defined by the Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security. The Secretary of Homeland Security has defined "official purposes" as boarding commercially operated airline flights, and entering federal buildings and nuclear power plants, although the law gives the Secretary unlimited authority to require a "federal identification" for any other purposes. New York State has now lost their Global Entry due to their policies.

I checked my calendar this morning - today's date is February 20, 2020.
CHAOS because a Law was passed 15 years ago and now the Government says -- NO more extensions.

I got my "real ID" years ago - this is not rocket science. Proof of citizenship, proof of identity, proof of residence. I also have a passport of course and that will serve as a Real ID. Non Citizens in Texas are up a creek as of October 1 for voting and entering any Federal Building. Not the case (for voting in some States), but it's a start.
Best check your history.

The Real ID bill got no traction and was eventually attached to an unrelated appropriations bill and was passed in 2005. Most states opposed, challenged, filed for extensions etc. by 2008, all 50 states applied for and were granted extensions.

The Tea Party Movement, which as you may recall, once had a lot of influence, opposed the law. Then came Libertarian factions, budget hawks and the ACLU in some states.

A few states, like Utah, created laws banning Real ID. Other states, ignored it. And then it came down to funding the states.

Several of the Republican candidates who competed for the Republican nomination in 2012 and 2016 were opposed to Real ID.

States, red, blue and purple have dragged their feet.

It would not surprise me to see another extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 07:41 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ever been to O'Hare? Or Hartsfield-Jackson (Atlanta)? The answer is... a lot.
I have never been on a flight that didn't include minorities and I fly a lot.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
And yet here in NY they give illegal aliens DL's.

What a system.
15 states, plus DC, do so.

Utah is one of these states.

These licenses don’t look the same as licenses for documented people.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:50 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Piper Cub’s always been on my shortlist should I be so lucky to get a pilot license.
Ya, I like things that can glide, as long as the nose is into the wind.
I will not get into a chopper.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:52 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The answer is NO.
Actually, it depends. Turns out my DL does meet Real ID standards.

https://kool1079.com/will-your-color...dentification/

Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
I thought that every state except Kentucky made the original deadline last year. Even Kentucky’s finally getting its act together. Got mine yesterday at the Transportation Cabinet Central Office in Frankfort. Centers in Lexington and Louisville open next month.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:57 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What state do you live in? Because in my state, you can use a passport to get the real ID.
I think a passport is one of the documents to prove citizenship. A birth certificate will also work. Also need your social security card and 2 docs showing address.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Illegal Aliens use Identity Theft to get DL's and other benefits. They steal Social Security numbers, and often cause problems for unsuspecting, innocent victims. They ruin credit, can falsely create debt for others, and do things illegally in the system with YOUR identity. It has to stop.
Most undocumented people are economically engaged by small businesses and households who have no interest in withholding or paying Payroll taxes. The powerful US Chamber of Commerce state and federal lobbies have long opposed eVerify.

The handful of states with so- called mandatory eVerify created loopholes by design to allow business as usual.

There is no difference between California, Texas and Florida as it relates to employment/ economic engagement of undocumented people.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Some of you need to go read the Real ID law of 2005. Federal ID, otherwise known as a passport, suffices to board planes and enter federal bldgs(cant imagine why anyone would want to), cross the border, take a cruise, travel the world etc. In many states to renew your dl can be done online with only your passport number. No big deal. No BC, no utility bills, no ss card, nomarriage license etc etc etc. required for a plain old dl. No Real ID license required. That real ID law was passed for people who do not have passports. Go get a passport. Easier.less hassle, etc etc.
That’s my story too. My international travel DNA provides more information than Real ID.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:15 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
October 1, 2020 is the deadline.

I wouldn't wait until I got to the airport to see what documentation I needed to fly -- lol.
I bet as we get closer to that date, if many places are still not close to being ready, they will just extend the date out again.

Thats what happened last time I went to get mine at the local DMV, they told me, they were nowhere close to being ready to issue REAL IDs and they just renewed my regular license for another 3 years, so I wont have to deal with it until 2023.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies