Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 12:14 PM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
A movie about a grifting family that cons its way into a grand house where it has no moral or logical right to be . . . what could he possibly dislike about that?
They could switch out the grifting family and replaced them with Bernie supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 01:09 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I had the same thought as above re a Venn diagram, with the only difference being one of my sets was "Fans of the movie Parasite" rather than "People who watch foreign movies".
One of the fiascoes of modern times, is that "people who watch foreign movies" have been vilified by both sides, as being undesirables and effete show-horses. The modern "right" regards the foreign movie-watchers as elitist traitors, or possibly "snowflakes". The modern "left" regards the same as... elitist exploiters, who built their elevated lives on a foundation of "privilege".

So I propose a counter-crusade: we need a Presidential candidate who duly appeals to the foreign-movie buffs... to the people who do bother to read subtitles, and in fact, who might even be fluent in more than one language.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:20 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I don't care that President Trump is picking on a movie. It bothers me a lot and I really hate when he makes fun of people or gives childish nicknames to political opponents. That's the kind of thing that makes me dislike him. But a movie, meh. Everyone has opinion like that. It's not a big deal. He doesn't like foreign films. A lot of people don't. For me, they are hit and miss. My personal gauge is if I actually forget that I am reading subtitles, then the movie is good. I haven't seen Parasite yet, but I want to.

I kind of see his point in a way. Most movies seem to suck anymore. So many canned story lines, bad acting, etc. But hell no, no remakes of Gone With the Wind. I so sick of remakes (that's part of the problem too). Hollywood needs to get its act together and put out some good films. Not rehash every 1970 or 1980s TV show or each Marvel and DC comic ever written. It's getting stale. I think the last good American movie I've seen was over a year and a half ago. BlackkKlansman. Before that, Dunkirk. Those good ones just seem too few and far between anymore.
Haul this man off to the gallows at once!

No True American dislikes Dear Leader, just as no True American watches a movie in a furrin language.

But seriously - the issue isn't whether or not Trump liked the movie or saw the movie or has any opinions at all about movies.

It's weird for the sitting president of the United States to launch into a public tirade about a movie. We generally expect presidents to be preoccupied with higher thoughts and not sound so much like a Reddit comment.

But that's just it - Trump is incapable of higher thoughts. He doesn't care. He wants to stand in front of a crowd and be cheered and ramble on like grandpa, checked out of the nursing home for Thanksgiving.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
His ignorance is profound. The only profound thing about him.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:40 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,543,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I bet nobody on this thread can read the teleprompter as effectively as President Trump.
Does he though? I know he goes off script a lot, so...

Old 02-21-2020, 04:12 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,023 times
This is totally in character. I’m sure his base loves this. They don’t have the mental bandwidth to watch the film. The “foreign bad” will speak to them. And no one else. Par for the course.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:19 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
They don’t have the mental bandwidth to watch the film.
It was that challenging for you?

Old 02-21-2020, 04:21 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
I am genuinely surprised he didn't cite D. W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation to his list of films he'd like to see more of...

Old 02-21-2020, 04:25 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I am genuinely surprised he didn't cite D. W. Griffith's Birth of a Nation to his list of films he'd like to see more of...
Except Blacks know he's purposefully done more for everybody than they've seen in decades.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:30 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Except Blacks know he's purposefully done more for everybody than they've seen in decades.
A further exception would be that it's not really a "black" film other than they are the one's getting chased around and hung by Klansmen...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies