Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:42 AM

88,997 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Using slavery as economic employment? Lol

Black Democrats in DC are amongst the most racists group of people on earth.

Always blaming old white folks for their unfortunate situation, yet their top candidates are just that.
And they're totally on board with that. Things that make you go... Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 09:43 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OMG. I'm speechless again. (And that doesn't happen very often.)
I guess it's too hard to understand that during slavery all blacks worked. They "worked" for room and board but were deprived of wages.

Under Trump, the implication is that more blacks are working than ever but they are underpaid or working in lower level undesirable jobs.

Whether that implication is true or not is the real issue here.

The thread title is not an accurate representation of what Clyburn said or even inferred.

But not surprising from this OP... who generates his posts from northern Idaho.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:45 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I guess it's too hard to understand that during slavery all blacks worked. They "worked" for room and board but were deprived of wages.

Under Trump, the implication is that more blacks are working than ever but they are underpaid or working in lower level undesirable jobs.

Whether that implication is true or not is the real issue here.

The thread title is not an accurate representation of what Clyburn said or even inferred.

But not surprising from this OP... who generates his posts from northern Idaho.
Oh, the irony. Are you saying that people who live in northern Idaho are inferior? Sounds like you’re casting dispersions on an entire group of people.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM

88,997 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
So a black Democrat leader is suggesting that blacks might be better off without a job? That’s a terrible message to send. Any lawful job is better than being unemployed and supported by taxpayers.
Representative Clyburn is suggesting that Blacks were better off under slavery as they were fully "employed." Unbelievable, but he actually said it.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:51 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Representative Clyburn is suggesting that Blacks were better off under slavery as they were fully "employed." Unbelievable, but he actually said it.
I know. I was driving when I heard him say it. I was so stunned that I almost crashed into the car in front of me.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:52 AM

25,568 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Blacks were better off under Slavery
He's not the first to say it.
Read, "When I was a Slave". During the depression, FDR sent journalists out to take down the stories of all the ex slaves who were still alive. Their stories are in this book and are kept in The National Archives.

Many, many times the old ex slaves would say they had it better back when they were slaves.
BUT!.....
The stories were being told in the 1930's. That was a long time ago. No one in his right mind would say that today.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:32 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,966 times
Quote:
I know. I was driving when I heard him say it. I was so stunned that I almost crashed into the car in front of me.
Are you always this dense?

How is this statement "
“I’m saying that the African-American unemployment is not the lowest it’s ever been unless you count slavery. We were fully employed during slavery. So it all depends how you measure this up,” said Clyburn."

condoning slavery?

Old 02-21-2020, 10:40 AM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Stupid political hyperbole, for certain.

Walking that back in 5, 4, 3, ...

Old 02-21-2020, 10:45 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Only in the demented world of the Democrats would they challenge 50 year low unemployment numbers as something questionable.

No matter how you slice it, low unemployment, in this day and age ....is a good thing...If this were they 1800's then Clyburn would have a point...but he doesn't. He doesn't make a LICK of sense and he knows it, and his party of circus clowns and other brainwashed black folks are stuck defending the indefensible. The fact that he is even allowed to talk this CRAP with a serious look on his face is part of the problem.

Blacks (in addition to the rest of America) have more employment opportunities, more opportunities for upward mobility, higher incomes, and many (myself included) have investment and saving programs that continue to RISE and contribute to our over all wealth under the Trump Administration.

I would like for Clyburn and other blacks to please explain how HIGHER unemployment rates, how a higher influx of illegal immigrants into the lower skilled job market, and how paying HIGHER taxes benefit blacks as opposed to the reverse under what Trump has accomplished.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:01 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What don't people get?

I'm not a liberal but I "got" from Clyburn's statement that everyone being employed is not better off than those who are not employed. Some people who are employed, like slaves, are forced to work and have no liberties.

You all don't "get" the fact that UE rates do not mean someone in "better off" in their lives as it depends on the work/employment conditions, how much money is being made, and other socio-political factors.

IMO you all are being very simplistic, which is one of the reasons why those of us black people who know how to think about things don't find your ideology attractive. You are very apt to be "dense" yourselves and not even listen to what someone is saying.
What is bad about the currently low UE rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies