Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 12:08 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Feel I didn't have a choice? I was a child. I literally had no power to do anything about it. The adults had all of the power. These women could have walked away and kept going back. Why would a rape victim write her rapist love letters? They weren't forced to do that.

Yes, he had the power to blackball someone. That's why you be the first person to tell what happened. That one model he groped wore a wire and proved he had grabbed her breast. She isn't blackballed. She did the right thing. Groping someone isn't the same as holding someone down and forcing sex on them. They didn't press charges for what he did to her, and it was an open and shut case.

My case would have been obvious open and shut case. My rapist worked for the government and the government covered up what he did. No one at the time doubted that he was raping me. I was scolded for complaining about it.
I'm sorry for what happened to you, but that does not excuse what you are doing. You are blaming Weinstein's victims, because you perceive they had more power than you had. But from their perspective, they didn't have choices. Everything they had worked to attain was at risk, and they did what they had to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 12:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think Weinstein is scum and glad he's in jail. However, did he forcibly rape these women, or did he coerce them into "consensual" sex by promising them a part in a movie, advance their career which possibly could make them wealthy? I'm not saying that isn't very, very wrong, but is it actually rape? Yes, using his position of power to coerce women to have sex is WRONG.
That isn't much different from offering money for sex. It isn't rape unless you say no and it's forced on you anyway or if it's forced on you when you cannot consent like if you're asleep or unconscious.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
That isn't much different from offering money for sex. It isn't rape unless you say no and it's forced on you anyway or if it's forced on you when you cannot consent like if you're asleep or unconscious.
If a man breaks into a woman's house and threatens to kill her child sleeping in the next room unless she has sex with him...and she does what he tells her to do, according to you that's not rape. I'm sorry, but coercion means that consent is not freely given, and that makes it rape.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:29 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If a man breaks into a woman's house and threatens to kill her child sleeping in the next room unless she has sex with him...and she does what he tells her to do, according to you that's not rape. I'm sorry, but coercion means that consent is not freely given, and that makes it rape.
If Weinstein says he will spread false rumors to ruin her career unless she sleeps with him - that is not rape. Maybe sexual harassment, but not rape.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:42 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been paying a little bit of attention to this trial, and I wanted him to be guilty - mainly because it would be a warning to the rest of the sickos in Hollyweird, but also because he's so disgusting, and you know he took enjoyment of that "casting couch" (as it has looooooooooooooooong been known) - but, unfortunately, with what I've seen so far, it doesn't appear that anyone went there unwillingly.

That they may regret things now doesn't mean you throw someone in prison for it.

If someone legit assaults someone, throw the entire book at them, and let them rot forever in prison. But regret? Despite Weinstein being the most vile looking creature I've seen in some time, not even he should go to prison because of someone elses regret. That's not what our prison system is for.

As for this conviction, he'll somehow buy his way out of this. I don't see him being locked up for years for it. At least not in this case.

What I do want to see is Rose McGowan on the stand in the next one. She better do it. That's where we can see just how sick this pig is...because if she does, then I believe he'll go down forever.
In this climate there's no way he avoids at least 3 years in prison. Minimum is 5 for his convictions and he might get 2 years off for good behavior. He's also going to probably get convicted in LA now too.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
If Weinstein says he will spread false rumors to ruin her career unless she sleeps with him - that is not rape. Maybe sexual harassment, but not rape.
If he threatens to ruin her career unless she has sexual relations with him, that's coercion. He's taken away her ability to freely consent. Different states define rape differently, but the fact that he had the power to ruin their careers, he threatened to use that power, means that he removed their ability to freely consent. And that is not any different than assaulting a woman who is drugged or drunk or unconscious. If a woman cannot freely consent, but a man has sex with her anyway, that's rape. In may not be rape in the first degree, but it is rape.

Women have to be able to freely and willingly give consent for the sex to be consensual.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:52 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
He could blackball actresses. Miramax was a dominating production company in the industry, and he could tell other producers how difficult an actress was, how unreliable, how unmarketable. These women didn't go to him and offer him sexual favors. Or did you not read any of their stories?
Mirimax was a just a small studio. Universal, Columbia, Warner Brothers, and Disney were all bigger.

Quote:
Coercion removes free consent. You cannot freely consent under duress.
That's not the law. Coercion happens all the time in relationships and making it rape is going to to multiply rape cases by 100. Example - when a man is in a relationship and living with a woman and she is not letting him have sex as often as he wants. So he tells her that. But she has a low paying job and can't afford a place of her own. Is he trying to coerce her into sex and rape her? If she consents to have sex with him to please him is he raping her? What if the sexes are reversed? I don't think we need the government policing our intimate relationships. If women don't like their men then just leave. STOP with a phony rape accusations. Grow up. Stop being initialized.

Last edited by mascoma; 02-26-2020 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Mirimax was a just a small studio. Universal, Columbia, Warner Brothers, and Disney were all bigger.

That's not the law. Coercion happens all the time in relationships and making it rape is going to to multiply rape cases by 100. Example - when a man is in a relationship and living with a woman and she is not letting him have sex as often as he wants. So he tells her that. But she has a low paying job and can't afford a place of her own. Is he trying to coerce her into sex and rape her? If she consents to have sex with him to please him is he raping her? What if the sexes are reversed? I don't think we need the government policing our intimate relationships. If women don't like their men then just leave. STOP with a phony rape accusations. Grow up. Stop being initialized.
Complaining that you would like to have sex more often isn't coercion. Maybe you need to grow up.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:42 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
There are millions of people who swear they saw a Virgin of the statue of Mary bleed too.
Exactly why if you ever came into millions of dollars, keep that the biggest secret of your life. Once that secret is out, there'd be people all over the place coming out saying you did "stuff" to them years ago. Juries will side with them too.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:05 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,116,821 times
Quote:
If he threatens to ruin her career unless she has sexual relations with him, that's coercion. He's taken away her ability to freely consent. Different states define rape differently, but the fact that he had the power to ruin their careers, he threatened to use that power, means that he removed their ability to freely consent. And that is not any different than assaulting a woman who is drugged or drunk or unconscious. If a woman cannot freely consent, but a man has sex with her anyway, that's rape. In may not be rape in the first degree, but it is rape.

Women have to be able to freely and willingly give consent for the sex to be consensual.
I'm sorry that's not rape in my book, and violates Weinstein's human and constitutional rights if that's a law somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies