Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 10:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
LOL. Wrong. You must have an Obamacare policy, that's the structure they use. It's almost worthless insurance. Most employer provided health insurances reasonable premiums and deductibles, low co-pays, and a maximum out of pocket threshold.
No it doesn't. My employer provided insurance has a $6,000 deductible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 10:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
No, I don't. My insurance is through my employer, and it comes with a $2,000 annual deductible.

I'm well aware of how ACA Qualified Health Plans are set up, as I work in a NYSOH call center. Those plans are anything BUT affordable, and IMO the low income threshold for QHP is WAY too low, $24, 980 for a family of one in NYS. Minimum deductible for a Bronze plan is $4,300, and only one plan that is offered has that deductible. The next highest is $4,425. How the hell is that "affordable????"

Trust me, anyone posting here who has as many conversations as I have with people who are qualifying for insurance they cannot afford to pay anything for aside from the premium (if they get a tax credit that will lower their premium) will see how badly we need a change in how health insurance is dealt with in this country.
$2k? Consider yourself lucky, mine is $6k!

Old 02-23-2020, 10:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No it doesn't. My employer provided insurance has a $6,000 deductible
That's very high.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:51 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
Rationing in the NHS.

Quote:
Vital NHS operations and treatments are being increasingly rationed in England, leaving patients in pain, doctors say.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-40485724

Old 02-23-2020, 11:13 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
$2k? Consider yourself lucky, mine is $6k!
I wish I still had the insurance from my previous job, that deductible was only $600!

Old 02-23-2020, 11:53 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It is not free.

Uk statutory income tax rates are higher than the US while corporate tax rates are lower. I am not in a position to have any fact based opinion about the difference between gross and adjusted gross income in the UK.

The UK imposes a 20% VAT on top of local sales taxes.

The UK, like all developed countries, faces the unprecedented challenges of an aging population and how to pay for it.
Healthcare comes out of income tax.
Basic rate income tax in the UK for anyone earning up to £12,5000 is 0%.
In the USA it's 10% for anything up to $9,700.
Not only do poor people in the UK get exactly the same level of healthcare as those earning significantly more they don't have to pay for it at the point of use or in their taxes.
Or if your child gets seriously ill or is injured in the UK the very last thing any parent has to worry about is how they're going to pay for it.
Because they don't have to pay a penny.Not one penny.No matter how long the treatment lasts for.
Surely looking after the sick and elderly, especially those who can't afford it, should be the aim of any modern, civilized society ?

Old 02-24-2020, 12:12 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Which is basically the NHS system.
I find it hard to understand why people wouldn't want a health service that's free to everyone at the point of use, including free visits to doctors and virtually free drugs and treatment, prefering instead to cripple themselves financial with health insurance.
Beats me.
The system ain't perfect and at critical times like winter when people fall over a lot and there's flu about it can seem like everything is breaking down.
But trust me having to wait for a few hours in an non-emergency is find when it's free.
You have money and want to see someone instantly ? Fine,take out health insurance.
You'll get a nicer bed in a nicer hospital much quicker but the actual care and treatment you'll receive is exactly the same.
Often performed by doctors who work in both sectors ( if you earn money in the private sector as say a surgeon you're obliged to perform a certain number of NHS hours as well.They did,after all,train you in the first place. )
My employer pays 100% of my premiums.

Why do I want to refuse that benefit, allow my employer, a greedy international corporation with no loyalty to anyone or anything except the allmighty dollar, to keep the money it currently shells out every month for my health insurance?

Why do I want the burden of paying for my health insurance to be passed on to the tax payers (hint: there will never be a tax increase on the wealthy) when the net result is a windfall for corporations?

Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Healthcare comes out of income tax.
Basic rate income tax in the UK for anyone earning up to £12,5000 is 0%.
In the USA it's 10% for anything up to $9,700.
Not only do poor people in the UK get exactly the same level of healthcare as those earning significantly more they don't have to pay for it at the point of use or in their taxes.
Or if your child gets seriously ill or is injured in the UK the very last thing any parent has to worry about is how they're going to pay for it.
Because they don't have to pay a penny.Not one penny.No matter how long the treatment lasts for.
Surely looking after the sick and elderly, especially those who can't afford it, should be the aim of any modern, civilized society ?

The parents of terminally ill Charlie Gard broke down in tears as they listened to medical evidence relating to his rare genetic condition and what his doctors say is a “vanishingly small” chance of his survival. But an American doctor who has agreed to attempt a pioneering treatment for his mitochondrial disorder, said that it was “reasonable” to attempt to save his life and if he were in a hospital in the USA his parents would have the option.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...treatment-nhs/

Wednesday's ruling rejected new arguments intended to overturn a decision by the High Court on Tuesday that prevented the terminally ill toddler from leaving Britain for medical treatment, said Roger Kiska, a lawyer with Christian Legal Center and part of the legal team representing Alfie's parents.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/healt...-bn/index.html

“Thresholds for treatment are often too high, which means that young people who need urgent help simply can’t get it. We hear time and again on our helpline from desperate parents whose children are self-harming or too anxious to go to school, and who just don’t know where to turn,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-unwell-enough

Old 02-24-2020, 01:46 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The parents of terminally ill Charlie Gard broke down in tears as they listened to medical evidence relating to his rare genetic condition and what his doctors say is a “vanishingly small” chance of his survival. But an American doctor who has agreed to attempt a pioneering treatment for his mitochondrial disorder, said that it was “reasonable” to attempt to save his life and if he were in a hospital in the USA his parents would have the option.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...treatment-nhs/

Wednesday's ruling rejected new arguments intended to overturn a decision by the High Court on Tuesday that prevented the terminally ill toddler from leaving Britain for medical treatment, said Roger Kiska, a lawyer with Christian Legal Center and part of the legal team representing Alfie's parents.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/healt...-bn/index.html
That is not the realm of the NHS it is the Courts and Judicial System which is based on international law in relation to what is best for the child, the European Convetion on Human Rights and other International Human Rights. Expert ,medical tstimony is also heard from both UK and International experts and secomd opinons and reviews from other countries are sought before any decidion is made. There is also numerous appeals available to the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights which the UK must adhere to, and which is a seperate organisation to the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momeonkey
“Thresholds for treatment are often too high, which means that young people who need urgent help simply can’t get it. We hear time and again on our helpline from desperate parents whose children are self-harming or too anxious to go to school, and who just don’t know where to turn,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-unwell-enough
I really don't know how any one dare to deride the UK Mental Health System when compaed to the one in the US.

Whilst no system is perfect the UK system is a fairly decent system by international standards.

In terms of the article, a rise in teen mental health demand especially in young girls means that only the most significant conditions are prioritised in terms of services such as inpatient, the rest are dealt with by social workers and community psychiatric nurses who form community support mental health teams, which are head by Psychiatrists. Education Welfare Social Workers, Teachers and Parents also play important roles.

Easting Disorders are a priblem among young girls as are issues such as self harm, however many psychiatric conditions can now be dealt with in a community setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHS Long Term Plan

This morning, the NHS Long Term Plan was published, which lays out the NHS plans and priorities for the next decade.

The plan follows the announcement in June 2018 that there would be an extra £20 billion investment into the NHS.

The NHS Long Term Plan has committed to:
  • An extra £2.3billion for mental health services per year by 2023-24, with a commitment to a proportional growth in funding for children’s mental health
  • An ambition to support an additional 345,000 more children and young people with their mental health through CAMHS, community mental health services, as well as support in schools and colleges by 2022/23.
  • An expanding age appropriate crisis care for children and young people, including a 24/7 telephone hotline for anyone experiencing a mental health crisis.
  • Creating a comprehensive mental and physical health model for 0-25 year olds to avoid difficult transition into adult services at 18 years old
  • New services for children with complex needs which are not being met, including children who have been subject to sexual assault
NHS Long Term Plan

PM launches new mission to put prevention at the top of the mental health agenda

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-24-2020 at 02:12 AM..

Old 02-24-2020, 04:50 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
My employer pays 100% of my premiums.

Why do I want to refuse that benefit, allow my employer, a greedy international corporation with no loyalty to anyone or anything except the allmighty dollar, to keep the money it currently shells out every month for my health insurance?

Why do I want the burden of paying for my health insurance to be passed on to the tax payers (hint: there will never be a tax increase on the wealthy) when the net result is a windfall for corporations?

Me,me,me.
The ugly side of capitalism where the consumer has no thought for those less well off than themselves.
I have lived in both the US and UK.
I know which I'd prefer to live in if I was poor,sick or elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies