Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:58 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

I remember being a senior in high school in 1986 and reading an article on "baby bust gen X". We've known for quite some time that there were going to be problems as the boomers aged out of the workforce. For anyone interested I found this article saying that the lack of workforce to replace them will actually hurt the economy. We need to streamline as much as we can.

Quote:
The U.S. economy is facing the crisis of an aging workforce that has the potential to harm the economy as more people begin to exit the workforce than enter it. By 2030, it’s predicted that 20% of U.S. residents will be aged 65 and older, compared to only 13% in 2010 and 9.8% in 1970. [1] The U.S. fertility rate is also at a historic low, sitting at 62.0 births per 1000 women aged 15 to 44. [2] This combination leads to a slowdown in the replacement rate, and makes it difficult for the U.S. to sustain or increase its economic growth. Additionally, an aging population can have other drags on the economy, especially the costs associated with neurodegenerative disorders and other diseases associated with aging.

https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.e...king-workforce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 07:59 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You're misinformed.
No, you’re misinformed.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:05 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Free market has no business in healthcare.
government has no business in health care.. other than to keep its promise to the military..which the government has broken time and time again

Old 02-23-2020, 08:05 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Because there are hundreds of private companies competing against each other?

Why do we have more than one bank when we can just have one and lay everyone else off? Why do we have more than one car company? Why do we have more than one computer chip maker?
I'm not a fan of Medicare for All, but the notion that it is government health care is entirely false. Medicare is simply a clearing house for payments to private providers of health care. In many cases, private insurance is still involved in payments through Medicare Advantage. Medical billing would be simplified, I suppose, resulting in some job losses, but there would be more demand for medical providers (a massive one) as millions who are uninsured, underinsured, and too broke to pay deductibles, come into the system for delayed services. Yeah, it is not the same skillset so the clerks may get caught in a bind, but we can probably reposition them in a strong economy.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:06 AM

698 posts, read 234,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
government has no business in health care.. other than to keep its promise to the military..which the government has broken time and time again
Yea I know. Gooberment bad.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I remember being a senior in high school in 1986 and reading an article on "baby bust gen X". We've known for quite some time that there were going to be problems as the boomers aged out of the workforce. For anyone interested I found this article saying that the lack of workforce to replace them will actually hurt the economy. We need to streamline as much as we can.

https://publicpolicy.wharton.upenn.e...king-workforce
uhm..gen y (millennials) is bigger than the boomers...there is no "lack of workforce"

today (in the usa) 9800/day seniors turning 65.... and 13500/day turning 18.....there is plenty of replacements for the boomers

Old 02-23-2020, 08:09 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm not a fan of Medicare for All, but the notion that it is government health care is entirely false. Medicare is simply a clearing house for payments to private providers of health care. In many cases, private insurance is still involved in payments through Medicare Advantage. Medical billing would be simplified, I suppose, resulting in some job losses, but there would be more demand for medical providers (a massive one) as millions who are uninsured, underinsured, and too broke to pay deductibles, come into the system for delayed services. Yeah, it is not the same skillset so the clerks may get caught in a bind, but we can probably reposition them in a strong economy.
Good summary. And thoughtful discussion.

I'm amazed at the people who come on this forum bashing something they have never researched and therefore don't know anything about.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:09 AM

698 posts, read 234,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm..gen y (millennials) is bigger than the boomers...there is no "lack of workforce"

today (in the usa) 9800/day seniors turning 65.... and 13500/day turning 18.....there is plenty of replacements for the boomers
Thank goodness, now if I could just get one of them to mow my lawn.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:14 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Medicare for All’s jobs problem

Bernie Sander's prances around this country talking about how Healthcare is unfair in the US. He exclaims that a single payer government monopoly will solve the problems and lower costs. Fact is that those "costs" are people and since it's a monopoly, 1.8 MILLION people will have jobs that are no longer needed. Who chooses who gets laid off? Who chooses were the new jobs are? They all go to DC?

I'll say it again, "Jeff Bezos paid off all his Medicare/SS obligation at 2 seconds past midnight. The rest of you stiffs are paying it off all year. Can you figure what's wrong with this picture? Hint: make Jeffy pay off his obligation on Feb 1 instead. Put bluntly: raise the cap on SS/Medicare from $137,000 to $200,000 and you'll have the money to pay for universal Medicare.

Man, this problem is so simple to solve even a dummy like me could think of a sensible solution.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:19 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Medicare for All’s jobs problem

Bernie Sander's prances around this country talking about how Healthcare is unfair in the US. He exclaims that a single payer government monopoly will solve the problems and lower costs. Fact is that those "costs" are people and since it's a monopoly, 1.8 MILLION people will have jobs that are no longer needed. Who chooses who gets laid off? Who chooses were the new jobs are? They all go to DC?
So to be clear, your position is that if progress means certain jobs will be eliminated, we must simply choose not to progress, and remain in last century forever instead? What happened to all the buggy whip manufacturers? Do you weep for them every time you start your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies