Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 12:38 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,149 times

Advertisements

Some sample immediate consequences of a Bernie presidency:

All the emphasis on immigration law enforcement comes to a complete stop, and the gears are thrown into reverse. Caravans start flowing again, with more volume than ever before.

Radicals are placed into federal agencies and courts, just like the current, well documented movement by leftists to install radicals into county DA offices.

Tariffs are removed and one-sided trade against the U.S. is allowed to continue unabated again.

Executive orders on gun control are renewed with a vengeance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 12:44 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
But Obama was not beating his chest about it?
In the way that Trump does, no, not really. Deflection surely is fashionable this time of year, though.

Quote:
What skills do these people have that allow them to get another job aside from the one they are in?
I'm talking about getting a second job that is along the lines of what they already have. Say you bag groceries at Safeway, but you only get two shifts a week. Then you're trying to keep that while you try to get on for two or three shifts at Kroger, but Kroger doesn't want to hire you because you've restricted your availability because you already work a part-time job somewhere else.

Also, they won't hire you if they know you work for a competitor. Everybody competes with everyone in that part of the economy.

Quote:
DO you not realize that not everyone can be the CEO?
I'm surprised you didn't follow this up with "LeArN tO cOdE"

Old 02-23-2020, 01:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Whatever you call it, the Deep State, the Administrative State, the Bureaucracy, it functions autonomously now. Presidents can pull and tug at the periphery, but the reality is there can be no sudden or dramatic changes in policy.

Thomas Jefferson and Mao Zedong had something in common. Both believed that governments needed to be overhauled by revolution every other generation to clear out the dead wood and corruption. Until the American people realize (per the Declaration of Independence): “it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security”, nothing will change.
I agree completely, Ive been saying this for years now...it doesnt matter which party has power at any given time, 'govt' itself remains in power and nothing major will ever change.

The people do have the right/ duty to remove a govt from power under certain conditions, but majority of people are not willing to take that step, it would look too much like domestic terrorism on the news, and I believe today, a majority of the people would actually side with govt!!

Old 02-23-2020, 02:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree completely, Ive been saying this for years now...it doesnt matter which party has power at any given time, 'govt' itself remains in power and nothing major will ever change.

The people do have the right/ duty to remove a govt from power under certain conditions, but majority of people are not willing to take that step, it would look too much like domestic terrorism on the news, and I believe today, a majority of the people would actually side with govt!!
The Founding Fathers devised a form of government that was intended to limit the power of the president, so that the Republic doesn't descend into some sort of kleptocracy just because the wrong guy won an election.

This is the primary difference between developed Western democracies and non-developed, non-Western non-democracies like a Myanmar or Uganda. Anyone who seriously tries to undo these balances, shall we say, have extremely poor intentions.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:21 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That's pretty much par for the course now.

Bush 291

Obama 276

Trump 140

Give the Orange God four more years and he'll be in the same ballpark as the two other megalomaniacs.
Most of those Trump orders were to rescind the ones from the hapless community agitator.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:38 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
The Bern will EO a bunch of gun laws that will be ignored just like with Clinton. It will also increase the volume being bought by millions. So, from 400 million to 500 million in a short amount of time.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:21 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Preface: I don't believe in most of the current or former candidates ability to improve my life , just looking to see and prepare if necessary for the incoming changes.

I don't like Trump for a couple of reasons policy wise as he screwed us with the SALT on the Tax cuts. At our combined income it's hard to know how much more we are paying because we are ultimately able to owe zero through pass through S-corp losses but barely by the skin of our teeth. But not sure how long we can keep that up.

Now if Bernie wants to win he is not going to be able to raise taxes. In my personal observation those "upper working class" with professional jobs in high COL cities like NYC, LA, CHI, cannot tolerate any more tax increases. I've already had to cut back discretionary spending and co-workers have mentioned this as well with the latest W-4 default withholding that is seeking to course correct on insufficient withholding from last year.

The economy is already going to contract because of CORONAVIRUS and now add in the higher withholding (who knows if it's more accurate than not but this year I can't risk owing due to the higher incoming audit rates) and US consumer spending will be decreasing soon.

Credit Card debt levels are back high again and auto loan delinquency is on the rise. People at all ends of the spectrum are over-leveraged and this time around there's less home equity to draw from for all but a small % who hasn't seen the profits from that increased equity eaten up by NY/CA state taxes.

I just got shares awarded as part of an incentive and upon selling 50% was automatically withheld for taxes. Taxes, taxes, taxes. Then the other problem is debt. How many companies are reliant on this consumer debt cycle and how many will die in the next recession due to both the knock on effects of defaults and consumers reducing consumption of non essential spend.

In turn how does this affect my job and that if many others. Most US jobs are tied to US consumption. If growth targets are slashed essentially to zero why do they need to pay me or keep me around? Yes in the long term it's unwise and short sighted but many employers have already demonstrated they prefer the logic of downsizing to demonstrate efficiency and lose all that organizational knowledge only to have to rehire 2-3 years later re-train and essentially start all over again usually with people more Junior that don't know their head from their a**

How will Bernie deal if he is dealt these cards?

He can't raise taxes because inflation is not up. If he does it could actually cause a DEFLATIONARY CYCLE.

He can't increase the national debt but only so much. Politically it will be shot down in Congress.

He can't increase public benefits without additional revenue to pay for it.

Trump will be able to continue galavanting and wheeling and dealing capitalizing on a weakened Chinese regime with his "Big Stick" politics. His theatrics can distract the public another 4 years while quality of life diminishes rapidly.

But what can Bernie do with his platform? What can any politician do these days other than kick the can down the road until that road suddenly becomes a cliff? This is bigger than Bernie (or Trump). But his name is the only realistic opposition left standing.
I studied policy analysis for public health with a focus on healthcare reform. The graduate students had to take into account various factors such as fee-for-service, capitation, primary care shortage, political climate, etc. We also had to compare the US healthcare system with foreign countries like Italy, Canada, Sweden, UK, Germany, Singapore, Japan, etc. In summary, it seems like Medicare-for-all is going to face too much political resistance - and not just from Republicans. There are disagreements on that within the Democratic Party. So, it would likely have to get major modifications if it has any chance of passing. One major stakeholder being overlooked would be providers and their payments. They normally rely on private insurance payers to get their salaries. The cost of losing that and relying on smaller Medicaid or Medicare payments for capitation would likely have a dramatic impact on political resistance. Hospitals could shut down nationwide. Meanwhile, there is also a primary care shortage - most medical students try to get into the classic "higher-paying" and "less-working-hours" specialties of EROAD. Primary care is usually avoided by medical students even though they are the most cost efficient in healthcare. This means nurse practitioners and physician assistants would have to be given far more autonomy nationwide. But the MDs often put a lot of resistance against that too. The whole healthcare system is headed into a political hurricane if Bernie wins. I don't know how he could realistically implement his policies.

To be fair, the cost of not doing healthcare reform would actually be more expensive. But those numbers are often ignored. From a policy perspective, it looks like Bernie's plan somewhat resembles France's healthcare system which has been ranked very highly by WHO. However, it was duly noted by our professors that the countries that implemented systems like that usually did not have a two-party system at odds with each other. Hence, here it seems rather unrealistic. I don't know how Bernie would actually implement it.
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...fit-status-quo

Old 02-25-2020, 08:33 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,566 times
Probably not much, he may win, but senators and house members probably won't support his medicare for all plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies