Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2020, 09:38 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
You guys are so funny...

There is only one right way to consider a candidate: is he an American first? If yes, then who care if he is /jew/black/blue/purple/whatever. But, if instead of that he proudly says "I'm /jew/black/blue/purple/whatever", and only after that he says "I'm American" - that's a bad candidate. It's very simple.

Also, in my view, being of any kind religious person is a negative trait of the candidate. Unfortunately, in this country this is inevitable, but then candidate should be asked prior to any other questions:

if he is catholic: "Are you ready to nuke Vatican if USA will need that?"
if he is jew: "Are you ready to nuke Israel if USA will need that?"
if he is muslim: "Are you ready to nuke Mecca if USA will need that?"

And only if answer is "yes", candidate is really putting USA first, and only then should be allowed to run.
Everything else is just a kids play.
I would rather have a candidate who would never nuke anybody.

Maybe you can come up with a less destructive test?

Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Evangelical Christians candidates are dangerous because they insist on mixing church and state.
That 'can' be true,but that was long the argument about Catholics taking orders from the Pope,and is still the argument about muslims.

'Evangelical Christian' is a pretty broad category.Jimmy Carter is one and he certainly didn't move the country toward theocracy.For some evangelicals religion is the center focus of their lives.....for many others its a 'get out of hell free card' they keep in their mind while closing down the bar on Friday and Saturday nights while dragging themselves through the church door on Sunday.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:59 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
It should be no surprise that people are less likely to vote for a Jewish person to be POTUS. The Jews afterall are a small minority in this country.

As much as a jewish person likely to vote jewish, you must expect everyone else to be no different.

Perhaps people should not focus so much on race/religion, and only on the issues. But I say is okay to be biased at time. We are talking POTUS. No one owes anyone/group the benefit of the doubt simply because is nice and polite. This is the one decision with which we can let out our prejudice just a little.

A candidate can say a lot of nice things, but we all know how often politicians lie to get votes. Look at Trump and his promise to get us out of war.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
America in terms of faith has always been and still is historically protestant and folks still forget that. Even though the largest religious denomination is Catholic which I'm part of due to years of Irish, South European, Mexican and Latin American immigration. America is still largely a Protestant nation. Other faiths and ideologies have been trying to break into American political scene with some success. NYS is very Jewish so it is common to see a Jewish Govenor, Senator and even Jewish Mayors in NYC, but in other parts of America the Jewish faith is very alien to many due to no contact with such people. 60 years ago, America elected its first non Protestant President and that was JFK. 50 years later America elected a black President, however his faith was Protestant.

Is America ready for a Jewish President? I dont know. 60 years ago America was not ready for Catholic President of non Wasp stock, and a decade ago was not ready for a black President. America sitll carried on. I'm voting for Bernie and he is Jewish. I dont care about his faith, I care more about what he does and his effectiveness. Already we have 3 Jews that sit on the Supreme Court along with 5 Catholics and 1 Wasp. We just have to hold people accountable and not worry about identiy. However America has a long history of fearing different people who some alien to them even though tehy are American.
NYS is not really that Jewish. They are still minority in entirety of NYS.

Funny thing is, the places Jewish are prominent in politics are also places that have high wealth disparity, lots of immigrants, and welfare recipients. Those kinds of voters are the easily bought kind. Obviously there are exceptions like Texas.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:19 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Here's an interesting study from Gallop. While liberals keep insisting that so many people didn't vote for Obama because they didn't want a black president, this poll shows that a higher percentage of Americans would not vote for a Jew as president.

Lots of other interesting data, as well:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ver-70-really/
People are more likely to vote for a Jew than an Evangelical Christian.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That's not true. Liberals are always talking about racism, racism, racism as being such a humongous problem while tolerating - and downplaying - the existence of antisemitism (especially on college campuses). In fact, any mention of antisemitism on the Democrat side is squashed by accusing the Jews complaining about it as "weaponizing antisemitism."
Can you tell me what your examples of downplaying anti-semitism on college campuses be? Or an example of the fact of Dems accusing Jews of weaponizing anti-semitism?

It seems like anti-BDS movement is able to get its resolutions through govt processes like knife through hot butter. Likely most Dems are in support of Anti-BDS.

A lot of Universities are also anti-BDS. How much more anti anti-semitic do you want our Unis to become? ?

Old 02-24-2020, 11:40 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You also post a lot in threads about black people.
And trys to post the most defamatory stuff about blacks too.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:01 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
You also post a lot in threads about black people.
I post on a wide variety of topics. You are just angry that I won't go along with the Democrats' attempt to downplay antisemitism on their side - and more angry that I am disclosing that antisemitism is a bigger factor than racism, at least as indicated by the poll.

Sorry, I won't play by the leftist rules, which require that Jews pretend that antisemitism is more of a problem on the right - or worse, pretend it doesn't exist much at all and focus all our concern on racism and Islamophobia. A Jew is much more likely to be the victim of a hate crime than either a black or a Muslim, and it is scary indeed what has happened to The New Leftist Democrat Party.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And trys to post the most defamatory stuff about blacks too.
Again, not true. Never said anything defamatory. (The fact that you think it is again shows how quick leftists are to defend anything perceived, even inaccurately, as racist, while downplaying the horrible things said and done to Jews.) Where's all your condemnation for all the horrible anti-white and anti-Semitic crap posted all over the place? Nope. As a liberal, you are very tolerant of that - and focusing your criticism on the Jew who won't pretend that bigotry is on the right.

Are you THAT inflamed that I posted something that shows people are more bigoted against Jews than they are against blacks? Is it robbing your campaign of the false narrative that racism is the major concern, and that concern about antisemitism is a "fake" thing?

All I did was post a poll that showed twice as many people (more than twice, in fact) wouldn't vote for a Jew as wouldn't vote for a black. And look at the venom that came out my way. How DARE a Jew reveal that antisemitism is more of a problem than racism, and that it exists among Democrats too.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It should be no surprise that people are less likely to vote for a Jewish person to be POTUS. The Jews afterall are a small minority in this country.

As much as a jewish person likely to vote jewish, you must expect everyone else to be no different.

Perhaps people should not focus so much on race/religion, and only on the issues. But I say is okay to be biased at time. We are talking POTUS. No one owes anyone/group the benefit of the doubt simply because is nice and polite. This is the one decision with which we can let out our prejudice just a little.

A candidate can say a lot of nice things, but we all know how often politicians lie to get votes. Look at Trump and his promise to get us out of war.
Who says a Jewish person is likely to vote Jewish? You think Jews pick a president because he shares their religion? Hardly. I wouldn't vote for the Jews running if you paid me. In fact, a "Jew" (by birth only) like Bernie would do more harm than good for Jewish people (and the country at large). With friends like him, who needs enemies?

And you say it's OK to be biased? Just be a little anti-Semitic, in other words? I guess you're one of the 7% who would be reluctant to vote for a Jew. Just curious.....are you Republican or Democrat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies