Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 10:20 AM

31,342 posts, read 14,111,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yeah. I get that Huff went through a tough divorce, but it's sad that his resentment comes out with a lot of antagonism towards women in general, and in sports, in particular.

Schilling could and should have long ago been in the Hall of Fame, but his public persona was and is off-putting.

Ty Cobb is in the Hall Of Fame and he killed someone.
OJ Simpson is in the football HOF, and he killed two people.
Both belong in because of their play. It's not the HOF of nice guys, it's the HOF of the best to play the sport.

Being a jerk shouldn't exclude anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 10:25 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,286,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Ty Cobb is in the Hall Of Fame and he killed someone.
OJ Simpson is in the football HOF, and he killed two people.
Both belong in because of their play. It's not the HOF of nice guys, it's the HOF of the best to play the sport.

Well HOF is also a popularity contest too - because they're voted on by people, and they're human too, especially in baseball. People will consider also their legacy and public persona.

Ty Cobb was voted on in a very different era
OJ was voted in before all his legal troubles. He's now pretty much persona non grata.
Pete Rose - well you know his problems.

Jim Rice was known for his rather brusque manner towards the press - and his coach and manager for much of his career, Don Zimmer, constantly advised him to adapt a more friendlier face to the press (namely baseball writers) because they vote on you for the Hall of Fame. So it was a looong time before Rice got in.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:30 AM

19,531 posts, read 9,064,520 times
I just read Post #13 in this thread that gave some examples, and while I agree that they are very outspoken and some people would find them offensive, they were not enough for him to be disinvited, in my opinion. Unless it turns out that he posted some kind of death threats or said something that would seriously cause one of his former teammates to feel endangered, in my opinion, this IS bull excrement!

The Giants are in the wrong to try to punish someone just for having a political opinion or for saying something that does not go along with a majority opinion -- or even for being "insensitive". These are all (supposedly) big male adults -- and yet they are giving the impression of being a bunch of whiny crybabies. (As if San Francisco doesn't have a reputation of being full of those, as it is!)

Old 02-24-2020, 10:35 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,286,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What exactly did he say?

Unless he posted some kind of death threats or said something that would seriously cause one of his former teammates to feel endangered, in my opinion, this IS bull excrement!

The Giants are in the wrong to try to punish someone just for having a political opinion or for saying something that does not go along with a majority opinion.
It isn't just about his teammates. It's also about people who work in the front office and the coaching staff.

It's also the public and fanbase. He went on a radio show locally and just was a pretty unpleasant guest.

The Giants recently hired a woman as a full time coach - and he's made some pretty nasty comments about her. That's not a smart way to keep yourself in the good graces of an organization. And even though he's not an employee, as a former player, he's still a representative of the team in a way.

Again, it's not really about political views. That's just a strawman argument to hide the fact of his public comments that the organization found unacceptable. If you were a Google employee and you made very public comments that blasted the company and its management in recent history, do you really think you're going to get a nice invitation from the company to a public event?

Old 02-24-2020, 10:35 AM

46,819 posts, read 25,743,836 times
Quote:
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Unless it turns out that he posted some kind of death threats or said something that would seriously cause one of his former teammates to feel endangered...
And again, wow.

Is there still any sort of daylight under the bar, or is that as low as it goes?

Old 02-24-2020, 10:39 AM

31,342 posts, read 14,111,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Wow.

And again, wow.

Is there still any sort of daylight under the bar, or is that as low as it goes?
Again - Ty Cobb killed a man and is in the HOF. Do you want to throw him out?

Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM

26,543 posts, read 14,351,783 times
Quote:
Nope, it's on the Giants for not respecting free speech.

huff exercised his freedom of speech
the giants exercised their freedom of speech
you exercised your freedom of speech
i've exercised my freedom of speech

nobody in this scenario had their first amendment rights violated.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:41 AM

2,400 posts, read 748,612 times
What’s really funny? Watch liberal Seattle try to agree on a team name for their expansion NHL franchise. That will be entertaining.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:42 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,264,150 times
Quote:
Schilling's "actions"....

You mean having a conservative viewpoint.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Was not about his political viewpoints so much as to some things he put on social media disparaging certain groups of people. Schilling had other issues that go back to his playing days that would keep him from being hired as a coach having nothing to do with politics. Huff was well liked by his team-mates, Schilling not so much.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 AM

46,819 posts, read 25,743,836 times
Quote:
Again - Ty Cobb killed a man and is in the HOF. Do you want to throw him out?
I am not sure I even possess the vocabulary to describe just how little I care. No idea who he is, no idea what sport we're talking about, no desire to find out.

I do care about people being able to pick who they choose to associate with. I am, in fact, fine with the idea of excluding jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies