Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 05:22 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
You need to read below what I was responding to. NVplumber was blaming that economy on Obama. The economy had crashed before the election. Obama had nothing to do with it. The blame was with Clinton and Bush.
Bush 1 and 2 were about the worst other than Obama was worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 05:30 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Obama is kind of like Ford. He did nothing really. He tried to do some things, but just couldn't get it done.

He didn't do anything for the economy. He just let that take care of itself as it would since it is cyclical. Presidents can mess up economies and can help or promote them. Bush destroyed our economies cycle with allowing banks to loan money with no equity, therefore he prolonged our downward adjustment and created a complete mess. Bush was horrible period! Trump is allowing growth and does okay that way. He is a lousy president in most cases and spends too much money. When the economy is this good, he needs to tighten up the belt and save money. He doesn't do that.

Obama did about nothing really. Not a good president. I voted for him twice however, so I felt the other candidate sucked worse. Hard to say.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I will even give you that he did ACA (even though HE didn't do any of the actual work on on it). And he was there when Osama was killed. But other than THAT, what did he actually do? Other than hobknob with Hollywood elites?
Oh, you know, just saved the country from going into a Depression style disaster

No biggie.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:56 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Supported military families and veterans. As a former military spouse, I can say that the Obamas and Bidens - particularly the wives - pushed for more professional mobility for military spouses. Under Obama, a number of states established special licensing provisions for professionals who were also military spouses, moving frequently. The Obamas also pushed for alternatives for vets to meet licensing requirements in their occupations. Check out the Military Credentialing and Licensing Task Force.

Old 02-28-2020, 06:39 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I will even give you that he did ACA (even though HE didn't do any of the actual work on on it). And he was there when Osama was killed. But other than THAT, what did he actually do? Other than hobknob with Hollywood elites?
Here are 50 things he did.
https://washingtonmonthly.com/magazi...nts-revisited/

Old 02-28-2020, 06:52 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,925,047 times
1. Launch the war on coal

2. Try to send many American jobs overseas with the TPP, tried to destroy many American jobs with the Paris accord

3. promote racial divisions and anti-police sentiment

4. put the interests of Third World countries before America, including when he increased the Ebola risk to us by not banning travel from West Africa, in order to help his people in Africa

5. promote socialized medicine

6. promote abortion

7. reward illegal immigrants

Old 02-28-2020, 07:26 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
He only rescued our economy from the Republican orchestrated disaster. And every step of the way, legions of right-wingers were screaming at him to implement austerity, while Obama wisely ignored their foolishness and went the direction of Keynesian.

Imagine what US would be like today if we had listened to the fools, er conservatives, and implement..... austerity (!!!!!!!). We'd be exactly where Europe is now with huge unemployment and repeated recession.

Rescued the economy? This "rescue" resulted in the slowest recovery since the great depression! Given his extensive background in economics I'd have to say that Obama, himself, had very little to do with it. Although that "Cash for Clunkers" was a big hit!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,084,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
I can't believe this thread. This isn't the way to talk about a former president. Where is the respect????
Sadly, this is what we've grown to expect from Trump supporters. Many of them are obnoxious and enjoy trolling people. Trump voters enjoy seeing people they disagree with agitated and upset.

Think about it -- how many kind, respectful Trump supporters have you met on the internet?

Old 02-29-2020, 07:41 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Clinton did not have a surplus and he did not balance the budget. Only someone with little knowledge of economics would spew that.

He borrowed money from Social Security. "Hey look I borrowed money from my mom to pay off my car loan, I'm debt free." Is that how it works in your world? "Debt shifting" is not "debt reduction".

The debt rose under Clinton yet you say it didn't?

In 1998, the first year of the "surplus", the debt rose from $5.413 trillion to $5.526 trillion, due to a deficit of $112.9 billion. Another deficit of $117 billion made it go to $5.643 trillion.

Nothing says surplus like deficit?????
Correct. Despite a better performance than some other recent presidents including Trump, Clinton still left office with way more debt than when he came into office. Translation: There was no balanced budget miracle.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:12 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Rescued the economy? This "rescue" resulted in the slowest recovery since the great depression! Given his extensive background in economics I'd have to say that Obama, himself, had very little to do with it. Although that "Cash for Clunkers" was a big hit!

The Great Recession is the toughest hit US took since the Great Depression! Duh! Thanks Republicans for crashing the economy.

Slow recovery? The fact that we had one at all was a miracle!! Just look at Europe and Japan, they are still waiting for theirs. The two nations (China and US) who smartly employed Keynesian economics recovered the fastest and the strongest. The countries who tried austerity (the Republicans' way), are all still waiting for the light at the end of the tunnel, after all these years.

Furthermore, the Republican fought his rescue plan every step of the way - like killing the Jobs Bill. How can a party be against... jobs?!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies