Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 02:15 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
How do wealthy people benefit from roads, schools military and law enforcement more than the average person? Please explain.
I'll bite on some of these:

Roads.. They are using roads more with industry (semi trucks that mess up way more roads and drive all over the country) than Joe schmo who's driving their smaller car or Susie B Q who lives in Chicago and uses Public Transportation.

Military: This depends on the business but military pays tons of bills and makes money for many rich people with defense projects and contracts (See Boeing and Haliburton). Also lets say a rich person owns 250 properties and many acres of land.. They are having their properties and land being defended more by military (and law enforcement) than Joe who works at Burger King and rent an apartment with his GF

Schools.. Rich people use their power and money to set their children up easier or pay for private school. They benefit getting more perks and options in life later than the poorer kid who goes to the dysfunctional inner or rural public school. This is more subjective and this is an argument I only made for the sake of argument here for schools. I do believe we are better off having a well rounded and great educational system for a healthy society though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I bet if you eliminated welfare in its entirety, the budget would balance overnight. Get the deadbeats off the dole.
That you believe that is laughable

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
We also pay for our public schools via school tax. It is paid town by town directly to the school system. You do not have a choice to go to any school besides the town/village you pay school taxes for (or rent). Tax rates are different in each town and you can see the quality of education differs as well. The more per pupil spent the better the school. Every child is paid for by school tax. No freebies. That's when the quality of education gets pulled down. Our teachers get paid very generously as well. If you have no children you get a reduction in your school tax but you still must pay some as part of real estate tax.
Most school districts in the US tax property owners, regardless if owners had or have children in public schools. There are a few exceptions that exempt those 65 and older if they do not have school- aged children in their household.

There are about 14,000 school districts in the US. Not all Of them pay well, even in their local micro economies.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:17 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I don’t need charity, but our society needs a new floor because the current one has too many cracks...
it aint the floor that has cracks

Old 02-25-2020, 02:21 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
I'll bite on some of these:

Roads.. They are using roads more with industry (semi trucks that mess up way more roads and drive all over the country) than Joe schmo who's driving their smaller car or Susie B Q who lives in Chicago and uses Public Transportation.

Military: This depends on the business but military pays tons of bills and makes money for many rich people with defense projects and contracts (See Boeing and Haliburton). Also lets say a rich person owns 250 properties and many acres of land.. They are having their properties and land being defended more by military (and law enforcement) than Joe who works at Burger King and rent an apartment with his GF

Schools.. Rich people use their power and money to set their children up easier or pay for private school. They benefit getting more perks and options in life later than the poorer kid who goes to the dysfunctional inner or rural public school. This is more subjective and this is an argument I only made for the sake of argument here for schools. I do believe we are better off having a well rounded and great educational system for a healthy society though
Stop blaming the school systems. Have you seen what property taxes are around the country? Throwing money at the problem isn't working, not even close. Do you have kids in public school? I do. ITS 100% THE PARENTS that is the problem. 100%. hhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeeeeeee number of deadbeat parents. I see it every time I'm at school.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I'm not exactly sure because I don't have school age children.

But when my brother enrolled his son to Irvine Unified School District (which is one of the top school districts in southern California), they asked for a bunch of documents to prove that he is a residence there
There are several districts in NJ that perform house/ bed checks because of scams associated with out of district students.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:23 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Stop blaming the school systems. Have you seen what property taxes are around the country? Throwing money at the problem isn't working, not even close. Do you have kids in public school? I do. ITS 100% THE PARENTS that is the problem. 100%. hhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeeeeeee number of deadbeat parents. I see it every time I'm at school.
I'm not blaming the school systems you went on a rant not related to what I was saying.. I was talking about how rich people benefit more from those things I typed on.. I also typed (if you read thoroughly and did not) That I was only making the argument on the schools and really didn't believe it. But believe we need solid educational systems for a society and country..

Maybe you should learn to read and not be so emotional

Old 02-25-2020, 02:27 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
No school of choice there ? We have it here in MI, kids from Detroit get to attend school in several of the area suburbs...including Grosse Pointe a very wealthy city.
Where I live (suburb of NYC but not in the city itself) your public school is determined solely by your residence address. There is zero opportunity to attend a public school elsewhere. If someone doesn't want their child in "their" public school, they have to send them to private school (on their own dime, and still pay their alloted share of public school taxes, no "break") or home-school (and still pay full school taxes.)

We also have some of the highest school taxes in the nation. Between 60% and 70% of our total property tax bill is just for school taxes, and the majority of average middle class neighborhood houses pay $10,000 or more per year in property taxes.

Seniors who have no school age children in their household get approximately a 12% to 15% reduction of their school taxes, unless they are low-income in which case the reduction is larger but never more than about 45% off. But even in the lower-taxed areas you are still talking about at least $5000 a year in just school taxes. No senior breaks for any of the other property-based taxes, of course.

Last edited by BBCjunkie; 02-25-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I bet if you eliminated welfare in its entirety, the budget would balance overnight. Get the deadbeats off the dole.
Depends on the definition of welfare.

Might this include the nearly $4 billion to Israel each year? Those funds are used to buy military equipment from US producers.

Might it include the tons of unrelated pork packed into nearly every bill that gets passed by Congress?

Old 02-25-2020, 02:42 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
Do you have kids in public school? I do. ITS 100% THE PARENTS that is the problem. 100%. hhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuugggggggeeeeeeeeeeee number of deadbeat parents. I see it every time I'm at school.

What are "deadbeat parents" in terms of a public school? I am confused. Deadbeat means someone who has not paid money that they owe someone.

The school gets its funding from property taxes within its community. If the owner of the property doesn't pay their property taxes, eventually a tax lien gets put onto the property and if not paid by X date, the property gets sold at a tax lien sale and the school district and the town and the county get their past due money that way.

The parents don't pay your public schools directly out of their own pocket. How do you know, from just looking at a particular parent, whether or not they are paying their property tax bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies