Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,015,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If that can be proven, no. But they should not be in a classroom in which they are continuously disruptive. They need a learning environment that better matches their needs.

I already said no, but they cannot be allowed to continue to assault others. Put them in an environment in which their problem behavior can be more closely supervised and corrected.

It makes no sense to continue to allow them to assault others without consequence. Period. Others are NOT their captive punching bags no matter what issues they have.
Then mandate the maximum students in a classroom at around 15. And be willing to pay for it.

Gf classroom of small kids is 25. She used to teach 15. At 15 she was educating. At 25 she’s babysitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2020, 12:27 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So you are okay with criminalizing disabled children or those who have endured lead poisoning toxicity?

Most kids who act in this way have some underlying health or behavioral issues.

This girl has sleep apnea, which is rare for a child to endure. I'll share I have sleep apnea and prior to being treated, I was a wreck during the day because I was literally waking up 20-30 times an hour while I slept.

Lack of sleep causes children to be agitated and aggressive. Her issues were known and as a result, she should not have been criminalized.

I have a nephew who is autistic who used to bite people. He bit until he was about 8 years old. He went to a specialized school for autistic students but is mainstreamed today as a teenager. Do you think that autistic kids should be treated in the same way as you outline in the above?

Do you think that kids with high levels of lead in their body, meaning they are literally being brain damaged, should be criminalized and their parents punished, which in turn may cause them to lose their jobs/livelihood, should follow this mode of your thinking?

Kids acting out is not a clear cut situation and any sort of outrageous, continuous behavior from young kids especially is usually tied to some sort of medical issue. It makes no sense to give them a record nor does it make sense to require parents to do some sort of punishment which will likely make them lose their jobs and then folks like you will complain about the welfare being used to support that child.
Criminalize, no, but the other children should not be left in danger of being harmed, either.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:17 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
So your solution is to criminalize medical conditions.
Assault and battery are the crime, not having a medical condition. Plenty of kids/people have medical conditions and don't assault and batter others.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-27-2020 at 01:26 AM..

Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:

As noted, this girl has sleep apnea so has an underlying medical condition that impacts her behavior. The school knows about it and yet you all are okay with her getting traumatized and arrested.

Also the idea that she doesn't have a homelife where she is cared for even though she is being cared for by her grandmother, of all people. We don't know about what happened to her parents. They could be dead for all we know and yet there is this drive of you all to put a child with known medical issues in jail and castigate her caregiver who was not even given the opportunity to come pick her up.
I don’t think anyone should go to jail but.....

How do you know she wasn’t given the opportunity to pick her up OR did not have a history of telling the school she wouldn’t or couldn’t pick the child up? Calling the police on a child is a measure of the last resort for schools, it is not the first response. The school, because of privacy laws, can not make comments or issue corrections to a parent or guardians’ comments. I guarantee you this has been an ongoing problem, we are not in September or October, this has most likely been an event six months in the making.

And why are you okay with 20+ other six year olds being traumatized by this child, probably on a daily basis? I have seen kindergarten and 1st grade students get physically sick at school or had parents beg/demand to move their traumatized child because they are terrified by a classmate’s behavior. I often wonder how the advocates for this total mainstreaming, you can’t do anything but remove the other 25 kids from the area, trend would feel if their child had been one of the 25 other kids impacted.

Yes, I do feel for the afflicted child, but what about the other kids? Don’t they deserve a safe, appropriate education?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-27-2020 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Changed “she” to “anyone” for clarity

Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 AM

409 posts, read 872,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don’t think she should go to jail but.....

How do you know she wasn’t given the opportunity to pick her up OR did not have a history of telling the school she wouldn’t or couldn’t pick the child up? Calling the police on a child is a measure of the last resort for schools, it is not the first response. The school, because of privacy laws, can not make comments or issue corrections to a parent or guardians’ comments. I guarantee you this has been an ongoing problem, we are not in September or October, this has most likely been an event six months in the making.

And why are you okay with 20+ other six year olds being traumatized by this child, probably on a daily basis? I have seen kindergarten and 1st grade students get physically sick at school or had parents beg/demand to move their traumatized child because they are terrified by a classmate’s behavior. I often wonder how the advocates for this total mainstreaming, you can’t do anything but remove the other 25 kids from the area, trend would feel if their child had been one of the 25 other kids impacted.

Yes, I do feel for the afflicted child, but what about the other kids? Don’t they deserve a safe, appropriate education?
Exactly. The way some people minds work, if you are not actively causing problems or having issues, then your safety, well-being, piece of mind takes a back seat to those who are causing problems. Aside from removing them from the school altogether, I don't know what the answer is for those kids who attack others for whatever reason. But the solution can't be at the expense of the kids and teachers who just want to learn and teach. I know its an unpopular concept with some people, but they have rights and are just as important too.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Exactly. The way some people minds work, if you are not actively causing problems or having issues, then your safety, well-being, piece of mind takes a back seat to those who are causing problems. Aside from removing them from the school altogether, I don't know what the answer is for those kids who attack others for whatever reason. But the solution can't be at the expense of the kids and teachers who just want to learn and teach. I know its an unpopular concept with some people, but they have rights and are just as important too.
Actually, they don't. The only students who actually have any specific legal educational rights are those with diagnosed disabilities (learning, developmental, behavioral, etc.). IDEA. Students who have no such diagnosed disabilities have no specific legal educational rights.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:50 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:

As noted, this girl has sleep apnea so has an underlying medical condition that impacts her behavior. The school knows about it and yet you all are okay with her getting traumatized and arrested.

Also the idea that she doesn't have a homelife where she is cared for even though she is being cared for by her grandmother, of all people. We don't know about what happened to her parents. They could be dead for all we know and yet there is this drive of you all to put a child with known medical issues in jail and castigate her caregiver who was not even given the opportunity to come pick her up.
That is BS- sleep apnea does not cause someone to behave violently and disrespectfully. Give me a break.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:55 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times
6 year old was taught a good lesson. She learned the feeling of getting arrested and getting handcuffed. Hopefully that will result in her behaving for the rest of her life unless she wants to experience getting arrested again.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is BS- sleep apnea does not cause someone to behave violently and disrespectfully. Give me a break.
Kids who don't get a nap on time throw tantrums and kick. Sleep apnea causes you to always be sleep deprived.

You all are weird thinking it is okay for a 6 year old, basically a kindergarten baby, being jailed for doing normal things that kids do when they are tired.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don’t think anyone should go to jail but.....

How do you know she was called. She said she was not. I read about this story when it first occurred. Grandmother said that she was not called to pick up the child. The police were called then she was called about the police.

I'm not okay with other kids getting traumatized. The child could have been sent out of the room. I noted my mother has a kid in her class who is aggressive. She sends him to the principal's office if he is so he is not around the other kids.

I also am not an advocate for total mainstreaming; however, I also am not an advocate of arresting 6 year old babies for throwing tantrums because they are sleep deprived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies