Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
every job I have ever had, supplied sick leave, and vacation leave

my current job give 13 days of sick leave, and 26 days of vacation..... plus jury duty leave, and bereavement leave

so what the heck are you talking about with "lack of sick leave"
Same here.

Having said this, I am fully aware 30% +/- ( 34 million) of all US employees do not receive such benefits.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:53 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
I had a years worth of sick leave to use when I left, it was great.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:57 AM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Yes, and Trump cutting CDC budget while eliminating staffers that control pandemics like Corona Virus a BIG mistake...Resulting economy downside may be the end for POTUS.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...-underprepared
Controls ...ya sure they do.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:11 AM

1,265 posts, read 445,089 times
Invest in Aflac if you are worried

Old 02-27-2020, 07:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
The US is the only first world country where paid sick leave is not mandated. In other words, if I am sick and have a cold or the begging stages of a flu, I am more than likely going to be going to work. Considering about half of Americans live paycheck to paycheck ( see https://www.fnbo.com/insights/2020/n...vey/index.html) I would imagine most people would do the same.

If I can't afford to take time off to keep up with my bills, I am probable not going to consider to possibility that me going to work my spread a disease I might be carrying.

However, if a pandemic like Coronavirus spreads and gets worse, wouldn't this be the last thing we want people to do? Which is to show up to work and spread the disease around.

Maybe its about time that we start think less short sighted and look at the long game and maybe start to consider creating a paid sick leave system. After all, Article 8 Section 1 of the constitution does talk about the government is responsible for the general welfare of the US, which I would argue the above scenario can be covered by this.

What are your thoughts?
Japan does not grant Sick Leave rights to employees.

Instead, employers are required to grant at least 10 paid vacation days and 20 days after 6.5 years of employment. Employees are expected to use vacation time when sick.

Foreign employers tend to grant better benefits than domestic employers.

Reportedly, 71% of women with school- aged children are employed in Japan. Less than 4% of births are out of wedlock. The prime minister has officially closed all schools to contain the spread of the virus.

Japan’s household savings rate is one of the highest in the world.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:47 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
The US is the only first world country where paid sick leave is not mandated. In other words, if I am sick and have a cold or the begging stages of a flu, I am more than likely going to be going to work. Considering about half of Americans live paycheck to paycheck ( see https://www.fnbo.com/insights/2020/n...vey/index.html) I would imagine most people would do the same.

If I can't afford to take time off to keep up with my bills, I am probable not going to consider to possibility that me going to work my spread a disease I might be carrying.

However, if a pandemic like Coronavirus spreads and gets worse, wouldn't this be the last thing we want people to do? Which is to show up to work and spread the disease around.

Maybe its about time that we start think less short sighted and look at the long game and maybe start to consider creating a paid sick leave system. After all, Article 8 Section 1 of the constitution does talk about the government is responsible for the general welfare of the US, which I would argue the above scenario can be covered by this.

What are your thoughts?
Even people with plenty of leave show up sick anyway. People have WORK to do and it doesn't get done sitting at home.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:00 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Permit View Post
Invest in Aflac if you are worried
I was going to say the same thing. I have Alflac and it's great when needed.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:04 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Same here.

Having said this, I am fully aware 30% +/- ( 34 million) of all US employees do not receive such benefits.
wouldn't that 30% be part-timers

Old 02-27-2020, 08:06 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Wear a mask going out in public, work from home if you can. Avoid public transport if you can. Wash your hands. Avoid sick people.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:38 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I am with the USPS where career workers get two weeks paid sick leave a year which they can bank as insurance, but then again loose if they retire without using the benefit. Just a couple of days ago in a postal news portal was yet another "attaboy" story about a postal worker who worked for decades without calling in and using sick leave. My own union branch president who went down to fight cancer at one point counsels using sick leave as an insurance policy and banking it.

In my experience there tends to be two types of workers in the service. Maybe 2/3rds of those who never use sick leave until limbs don't work and power through colds and flues. And then about a 1/3rd those who use two weeks every year by using a day here and a day there with managers attempting to issue discipline for "abusing" the sick leave benefit as they suspect it is being "misused" for unscheduled vacation days off.
I believe your 1/3, 2/3 break down is accurate in most workplaces. I never take days off. There are a fair amount of people like me who do this. That means that yes I come to work with colds and flus. If I were to call out every time I was sick I would miss one or two weeks of work a year. Nearly everyone gets sick two or more times a year so staying home while your infectious would mean missing a great deal of work. Some people get sick easy enough that it might amount to a month a year. I get 8 sick days a year and can bank them up so I could take all that time off but why should I? The job needs to be done still. Those who do call out everytime they sneeze don’t get punished for it but everyone looks down on them for it. Certain employees can be counted on to unreliable.

Imagine a world where 1/3 to half of the employees in an office, a school, a store, a hospital or a factory are absent because it is cold and flu time. Many businesses would cease to operate if this happened. Our economy is not built to function on that type of employee absenteeism. That is what would happen every year if everyone called out sick for colds and flus. The world still works because people “power through it”. Yes it helps spread germs when people go to work sick but what is the alternative? Should everything shut down in January and February because we don’t have enough healthy people to run a business? Not gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies