Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If society collapses, we won't be posting about it here.
Back to writing on the walls in gas station bathrooms...

Old 02-27-2020, 12:28 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
There is alot of violation of that principle on the show.
Because none of them are anarchists, and most are statists who are trying to recreate the state, just in their preferred image.

You are seeing a fictional hypothetical future, and equating it with the results of an experiment that has never actually taken place. Because The Walking Dead portrays the absence of a centralized state as barbaric feudalism does not mean that is the necessary outcome of the absence of a state. Also, the absence of a state in The Waking Dead comes with an additional deadly global pandemic, the total absence of all working civilization like agriculture, manufacturing, etc, and oh yeah, the death of 99% of the global population. Also, the assumption that at least half the remaining population are sociopaths. Need that last component also. Those additional factors are not some prerequisite set of conditions for the absence of state.

It is a common literary trope, that "no government = no anything except violence and mayhem" but it is just that, a trope.

Ask yourself this, in your daily life and the hundreds and thousands of interactions you engage in with other people, how often do you think to yourself that you would murder, rape, rob or otherwise harm this or that person, and the only reason you don't is because of the government's ever present threat to cage or kill you? Like, when you go to the store, you honestly think "man, I would so steal all this stuff and kill everyone in sight if only it weren't for that darn government stopping me..." I am willing to bet that such thinking never crosses your mind, because it doesn't cross most people's minds either.

Sure, in apocalyptic literature, everyone is Lord Humongous and his merry band of psychos, but when the government isn't looking, are you really an arch criminal just one bad day away from going Road Warrior? I doubt it.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:29 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Don't Bernie Bros already live there?

Old 02-27-2020, 01:54 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
No law, people organized in small groups, trading of goods, the most ruthless and violent people rule all on fear alone.
It is magnificent, but it is not Libertarianism.

We are not at all shocked that you obviously confused Liberterianism with Anarchism.

But, even Anarchism doesn't imply rule through fear.

When Brits colonized Africa in the 1890s, they found the villages in the Niger-Congo River Basin were organized as Anarcho-Communes.

There was no government. No organization. The men of the village took turns acting as a sort of "mayor" of the village for about 2 weeks (New Moon to Full Moon and Full Moon to New Moon).

The absence of government or any organization would be Anarchy, but Anarchy is not tantamount to Chaos.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:40 PM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The absence of government or any organization would be Anarchy, but Anarchy is not tantamount to Chaos.
Along with communism and democracy, anarchy might be the most misunderstood term in political science and/or philosophy.

Easy to understand why though, given that the State took over what was education and now more closely resembles indoctrination. Pretty sure it would behoove them to propagandize anti-state anything as evil, bad, horrible, deadly, etc.

Old 02-27-2020, 04:39 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Along with communism and democracy, anarchy might be the most misunderstood term in political science and/or philosophy.

Easy to understand why though, given that the State took over what was education and now more closely resembles indoctrination. Pretty sure it would behoove them to propagandize anti-state anything as evil, bad, horrible, deadly, etc.
These are the same folks who believe consent can be effectuated by sliding out of a birthing canal.

Statists b cray-cray, yo.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:34 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If society collapses, we won't be posting about it here.
Why would society collapse? If there were no government, would you suddenly become violent, stop bathing, start stealing?

Old 02-27-2020, 05:36 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
That’s actually a good description of what goes on in the show. Especially when group 1 shows up in later seasons.
Don’t wanna spoil anything. But they were safe from the start and didn’t experience life behind the walls. So they were weak. They were basically shielded from the apocalypse.
Sounds like a good show. I haven't seen it, it isn't available in the country I live in.

I based my premise upon how people behave in war zones where government has los all control.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:48 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why would society collapse? If there were no government, would you suddenly become violent, stop bathing, start stealing?
Ah be honest now. We have examples aplenty of what happens when the Government is either removed or people are left to their own means. First the looting, then the rioting then the strong prey upon the weak. Then it gets worse, much worse. Look at the paradise Somalia became.

People behave in a certain way because their is a structure in place that supports it. Remove that structure and you get chaos. Yes some might try to remain civilized. You for example might, but what happens if the county sheriff, always a harass, and his former super jock deputies decide to play king? They go door to door confiscating resources and guns. All for the good of the community of course.

The weak will do anything to be cared for so they will roll over and willingly comply. They will rat their neighbors out for hoarding, hoping for reward. WWII Germany is a good example, so was France, Austria, Finland and others.

There will be the doomsday peppers, who will say no. My land, my stuff, I am not sharing. They will try to fight. But they are out numbered and out gunned. Most will lose. Only those not discovered wins.

Then you have the towns that ban together, try to do it as a unified force. Human nature. Someone or someones in those towns will want to be king. They will sell out and screw over anyone to get to be the boss.

All of History is filled with examples.

This is the nature of man.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:13 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Because none of them are anarchists, and most are statists who are trying to recreate the state, just in their preferred image.

You are seeing a fictional hypothetical future, and equating it with the results of an experiment that has never actually taken place. Because The Walking Dead portrays the absence of a centralized state as barbaric feudalism does not mean that is the necessary outcome of the absence of a state. Also, the absence of a state in The Waking Dead comes with an additional deadly global pandemic, the total absence of all working civilization like agriculture, manufacturing, etc, and oh yeah, the death of 99% of the global population. Also, the assumption that at least half the remaining population are sociopaths. Need that last component also. Those additional factors are not some prerequisite set of conditions for the absence of state.

It is a common literary trope, that "no government = no anything except violence and mayhem" but it is just that, a trope.

Ask yourself this, in your daily life and the hundreds and thousands of interactions you engage in with other people, how often do you think to yourself that you would murder, rape, rob or otherwise harm this or that person, and the only reason you don't is because of the government's ever present threat to cage or kill you? Like, when you go to the store, you honestly think "man, I would so steal all this stuff and kill everyone in sight if only it weren't for that darn government stopping me..." I am willing to bet that such thinking never crosses your mind, because it doesn't cross most people's minds either.

Sure, in apocalyptic literature, everyone is Lord Humongous and his merry band of psychos, but when the government isn't looking, are you really an arch criminal just one bad day away from going Road Warrior? I doubt it.
Only if they try to take my sh*t. Even then I wouldn't rape them. Unless they looked like Aquaman then I might have to take a look at 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies