Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2021, 08:42 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
How in the heck can you do that with the smoking?
Uppers

Old 10-24-2021, 02:13 AM

6,829 posts, read 2,117,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
How in the heck can you do that with the smoking?
There is a lot of propaganda around smoking, where it’s demonized to be way worse than it actually is.

Look, it’s not a healthy habit. But until it causes some respiratory disease, contrary to belief, it does not affect cardio output.

In my 20s I quit for a prolonged period of time to see if I’d see improvement in my fitness. It did not. My VO2 max levels stayed the same.

So until it causes some disease it’a not interfering. In my 30s I climbed Gasherbrum 1. I did it without oxygen. Only the team lead and sherpas did it without oxygen. The peak is over 26,000ft. I brought with me on that trip many boxes of cigarettes since the entire thing lasts 1-2 months. The team lead was shocked suggested that smoking could accelerate altitude sickness. I told him I’d be fine and was. The sherpas kept bumming my cigarettes and they were the fittest of us all up there.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:48 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Coronavirus Cases: World

Looks like worldwide cases and deaths have stopped dropping and are now trending up. Will this ever end? Cooler weather and people being inside more the reason?

The UK is trending way up.
I found out yesterday two people in a service business I patronize died of covid in U.S. About two months ago I was in their shop and the only one wearing a mask, none of the workers were masked and the two deceased workers were unvaccinated. Why not wear a mask, especially if you're unvaccinated, to protect yourself (and others)? Now I view everyone as a walking bio-weapon to stay away from.

Old 10-24-2021, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I found out yesterday two people in a service business I patronize died of covid in U.S. About two months ago I was in their shop and was the only one wearing a mask, none of the workers were masked and the two deceased workers were unvaccinated. Why not wear a mask, especially if you're unvaccinated, to protect yourself (and others)? Now I view everyone as a walking bio-weapon to stay away from.
It’s sad what happened to them but they’d have caught it sooner or later. Let’s say masks reduce your odds by X %. Then N is the amount of times you are exposed to the virus. X^N = 0 for large N. Masks only work if you limit your exposure and are holding out for something, either for these vaccines or for the virus to disappear.

On the subject of << pass sanitare >> I’m in Paris this weekend and only Moulin Rouge asked me for it. All the packed restaurants, a hotel bar, and even discotheque didn’t. Rules have relaxed.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
It’s sad what happened to them but they’d have caught it sooner or later. Let’s say masks reduce your odds by X %. Then N is the amount of times you are exposed to the virus. X^N = 0 for large N. Masks only work if you limit your exposure and are holding out for something, either for these vaccines or for the virus to disappear.

On the subject of << pass sanitare >> I’m in Paris this weekend and only Moulin Rouge asked me for it. All the packed restaurants, a hotel bar, and even discotheque didn’t. Rules have relaxed.
Thursday I have to take my 92 year old mom to her cardiologist, she hasn't been out of the house (except in my car) since the pandemic started, but the doc insists on seeing her (she needs the meds he prescribes to live). I'm going to put the N95 on her, gloves, sunglasses, hat, and bring a big scarf to throw over her head in the elevator (she can't walk up the stairs). I might even bring disinfectant to spray in the elevator before she gets in. I know two of their patients were hospitalized for covid a few months ago, but they are ok now. My mom is unvaccinated, I am too scared to give her the jab, she doesn't go out anyway. It's a shame good quality medical help for seniors at home doesn't exist where I live.

Anyway, how much is a drink in Paris these days? I was there in 1998, the disco charged $10.00 for a glass of wine. The best champagne I ever tasted was at a Montmartre restaurant. I really liked Paris and London much better than Rome.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Thursday I have to take my 92 year old mom to her cardiologist, she hasn't been out of the house (except in my car) since the pandemic started, but the doc insists on seeing her (she needs the meds he prescribes to live). I'm going to put the N95 on her, gloves, sunglasses, hat, and bring a big scarf to throw over her head in the elevator (she can't walk up the stairs). I might even bring disinfectant to spray in the elevator before she gets in. I know two of their patients were hospitalized for covid a few months ago, but they are ok now. My mom is unvaccinated, I am too scared to give her the jab, she doesn't go out anyway. It's a shame good quality medical help for seniors at home doesn't exist where I live.

Anyway, how much is a drink in Paris these days? I was there in 1998, the disco charged $10.00 for a glass of wine. The best champagne I ever tasted was at a Montmartre restaurant. I really liked Paris and London much better than Rome.
For your mom it makes sense. She’s probably limiting her exposure so N is small. For a server, not so much.

You can get a nice/average glass of wine/champagne for 7-10 euros. Which is around 9-13 USD. Of course prices vary where and what quality you want. I’d say average is 10euros.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
For your mom it makes sense. She’s probably limiting her exposure so N is small. For a server, not so much.

You can get a nice/average glass of wine/champagne for 7-10 euros. Which is around 9-13 USD. Of course prices vary where and what quality you want. I’d say average is 10euros.
The funniest thing that happened to me in Paris was I asked someone in front of the Louvre where the train was in French (bad French) and he says to me in a worse NY accent than I have, "the subway is down there lady!", it was hysterical.

Old 10-24-2021, 07:36 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
There is a lot of propaganda around smoking, where it’s demonized to be way worse than it actually is.

Look, it’s not a healthy habit. But until it causes some respiratory disease, contrary to belief, it does not affect cardio output.

In my 20s I quit for a prolonged period of time to see if I’d see improvement in my fitness. It did not. My VO2 max levels stayed the same.

So until it causes some disease it’a not interfering. In my 30s I climbed Gasherbrum 1. I did it without oxygen. Only the team lead and sherpas did it without oxygen. The peak is over 26,000ft. I brought with me on that trip many boxes of cigarettes since the entire thing lasts 1-2 months. The team lead was shocked suggested that smoking could accelerate altitude sickness. I told him I’d be fine and was. The sherpas kept bumming my cigarettes and they were the fittest of us all up there.
Madness. I've cared for 4 lung cancers in non-smoking patients in 40 years of practice. I couldn't count how many in smokers. I've cared for innumerable COPD patients, and I don't think one non-smoker.
Not that many actually get cancer, but they about all do get COPD over time. Significant respiratory disability the last 10 years or so of life is a very big deal here and everywhere.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:02 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Madness. I've cared for 4 lung cancers in non-smoking patients in 40 years of practice. I couldn't count how many in smokers. I've cared for innumerable COPD patients, and I don't think one non-smoker.
Not that many actually get cancer, but they about all do get COPD over time. Significant respiratory disability the last 10 years or so of life is a very big deal here and everywhere.
One thing about smoking is, no matter what's wrong with you, that's deemed to be the culprit.
When my husband developed COPD, he hadn't smoked in a little over 30 years but...the blame? Previous history of smoking, of course.
Almost everybody of "an age" smoked at one point so any incidence of lung problems can be...no...will be...attributed to it.
My grandfather never any lung issues, nor did his daughter. He died at 93, she in her 70's.
I'm almost 80 and never quit so the bolded statement is not necessarily so.
In fact, a great majority of people in my age bracket smoked ...some never quit or didn't do so until quite
along in years and still have no problem.
In my husbands case, his mother, too, had advanced COPD and I already mentioned part of my family.
Genes, once again, may have as much to do with some things more than habits.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:09 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One thing about smoking is, no matter what's wrong with you, that's deemed to be the culprit.
When my husband developed COPD, he hadn't smoked in a little over 30 years but...the blame? Previous history of smoking, of course.
My grandfather never any lung issues, nor did his daughter. He died at 93, she in her 70's.
I'm almost 80 and never quit so the bolded statement is not necessarily so.
In fact, a great majority of people in my age bracket smoked ...some never quit or didn't do so until quite
along in years and still have no problem.
In my husbands case, his mother, too, had advanced COPD and I already mentioned part of my family.
Genes, once again, may have as much to do with some things more than habits.
Of course there are exceptions. But COPD is not common in non-smokers. And very common in smokers. These finding are present almost all over the world. Genetics has little to do with preventing smoking related lung damage. One can certainly live a long life, and if not too active live without significant disability despite smoking. But the odds are against you all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies