Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 01:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yep, FL Governor announced labs in 3 cities are now doing their own testing rather than waiting for CDC.

They expect to be able to get results back in 24-48 hours vs 5 days from CDC.

I assume the same is happening in other states.
I'm concerned for Florida given 22 Million residents and peak tourist season where literally millions from all over the country and globe are coming and going minute by minute.

They have declared an emergency which I read - it says "we declare an emergency and the health officer can decide when to terminate it".

I hope some actual actions and guidelines can be put in place. This is a very tough issue due to the general lack of symptoms. Almost a perfect storm in that sense.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:52 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I'm concerned for Florida given 22 Million residents and peak tourist season where literally millions from all over the country and globe are coming and going minute by minute.

They have declared an emergency which I read - it says "we declare an emergency and the health officer can decide when to terminate it".

I hope some actual actions and guidelines can be put in place. This is a very tough issue due to the general lack of symptoms. Almost a perfect storm in that sense.
They also have lots of elderly people.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:52 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Dr. Matt McCarthy, a staff physician at New York-Presbyterian:

“I’m here to tell you, right now, at one of the busiest hospitals in the country, I don’t have [a rapid diagnostic test] at my finger tips.” “I still have to make my case, plead to test people. This is not good. We know that there are 88 cases in the United States. There are going to be hundreds by middle of week. There’s going to be thousands by next week. And this is a testing issue.”

“In New York State, the person who tested positive is only the 32nd test we’ve done in this state,” he said. “That is a national scandal. [...] They’re testing 10,000 a day in some countries and we can’t get this off the ground,” McCarthy said. “I’m a practitioner on the firing line, and I don’t have the tools to properly care for patients today.” (Video, CNBC

If we don't up our game, we are in for some rough times IMO.
Or as Bush put it, "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job".

Old 03-02-2020, 01:59 PM

698 posts, read 234,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I'm not putting so much faith in these tests....

The CDC said they wanted their own test...because they wanted one specific to this coronavirus

....not sure what that means...but it sounds like the WHO test wasn't specific to this one

Then the CDC rushed their new test out too fast....only to find it was not registering the test to see if it was still working accurately

...back to the drawing board
That is Trump talk for not wanting people to know how many cases there are in the US, Might make him look bad.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

Declaring an emergency allows them to activate resources they need to respond to whatever is happening.

I have lived in FL for almost 10 years and have been very impressed with the response to weather emergencies.

I am optimistic that the response to this will be fairly robust. I think all states are going to have a bit of a learning curve...….some more than others.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:02 PM

The number of cases on the “outside China” graph on the Hopkins map is rising very fast.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:18 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Rand Paul gave a very optimistic outlook. I was expecting the worst from him.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
You have to have some idea of how many cases there really are. We dont know how many cases there are, we just know how many died.
We know how many cases there are based on confirmed tests. Not all flu cases get confirmed by a test. You’ll never know the exact number of any diseases. We use the numbers we have.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:28 PM

43,093 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
We know how many cases there are based on confirmed tests. Not all flu cases get confirmed by a test. You’ll never know the exact number of any diseases. We use the numbers we have.
The mortality rate will fluctuate.

Do you think all those old, sick people in the nursing home that have it is indicative of the rest of the US ?
No and that group will skew the mortality rate for the US

China's mortality rate is fluctuating.

The difference between this and flu estimates is that the flu has a history...a basis for making estimates.
Coronavirus has no basis...this is the first instance

Old 03-02-2020, 02:30 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Right. A lot of people are like me - I have never gone to the doctor with the flu, although I am sure I must have had it sometime in the last 75 years.
Reliable reports quote people who have CV and are hardly sick at all.

Also it has been clearly shown that CV is not an airborne virus. That means a lot. It means you must have fluid contact with someone who has it. That's actually a lot easier than it sounds, since the virus can live in a droplet for a few days under the right conditions. But the virus does not drift around in the air, like smallpox, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies