Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2020, 08:10 PM

17,331 posts, read 14,601,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Umm, you said, "Because it's not calculated by confirmed cases like that COVID-19 number is."

The numbers being used for COVID-19 are not case fatality rates. They just tell us what is happening with diagnosed cases. That should really not be compared with flu case fatality estimates, though people keep doing it.
Umm, I know all this.

You can quit trying to explain something to me that I fully understand.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,661,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Literally, I know ... it was exactly my entire point.
No, I think your point is to obfuscate that this thread and most others are about the CV pandemic and the effectively of our leaders and health care system in dealing with it.

Keep saying "flu" and then, if that doesn't work, tell us how many people die from guns and motor vehicle deaths so we feel better about the CV.

Then tell us that the Deepwater Horizon Spill was like pissing in the ocean, etc. etc.

I don't buy it. Talking about the flu is irrelevant. Talking about strokes, obesity and hearth disease and cancer deaths is also. Talking about how many more people die from Flu than were killed (our military) in Iraq is irrelevant.

Deaths are additive and deaths which can be mitigated is what we call "keeping us safe". That was the job, for example, of the team that Trump and Bolton disbanded.

Arguing the fine points of morality math is for people to do a couple years in the future when all is said and done.

Since up to 20% of the people hit with this need Oxygen for weeks and 5% need to be on respirators, how about you do some counting of the number of hospital beds in the USA with access to both of those....and then what is going to happen after they are full?

To save some time I'd say most beds are already full before this thing hit. So what are we going to do if 100,000 patients need to go into hospital?

Won't the mortality end up MUCH worse if those 20% of patients can't get hospitalized? Think, man, think.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,172,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
So it's not her district. She needs to diversify and see what horrible damage Democrats have done to ruin the entire state of California. She needs to slip off her $700 Gucci pumps and put on some sneakers and grab the city bus, to go to downtown LA and spend the day sitting on the urine soaked ground, with the folks who's sleeping area is the size of her bathtub in her luxury home.
Does your congressman hang out with the unwashed dregs of YOUR district, of which there is no shortage? You don’t live in Beverly Hills yourself.

You talk crap about California, but you couldn’t afford to rent a closet in LA or The Bay. You’re too poor.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:17 PM

17,331 posts, read 14,601,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No, I think your point is to obfuscate that this thread and most others are about the CV pandemic and the effectively of our leaders and health care system in dealing with it.

Keep saying "flu" and then, if that doesn't work, tell us how many people die from guns and motor vehicle deaths so we feel better about the CV.

Then tell us that the Deepwater Horizon Spill was like pissing in the ocean, etc. etc.

I don't buy it. Talking about the flu is irrelevant. Talking about strokes, obesity and hearth disease and cancer deaths is also. Talking about how many more people die from Flu than were killed (our military) in Iraq is irrelevant.

Deaths are additive and deaths which can be mitigated is what we call "keeping us safe". That was the job, for example, of the team that Trump and Bolton disbanded.

Arguing the fine points of morality math is for people to do a couple years in the future when all is said and done.

Since up to 20% of the people hit with this need Oxygen for weeks and 5% need to be on respirators, how about you do some counting of the number of hospital beds in the USA with access to both of those....and then what is going to happen after they are full?

To save some time I'd say most beds are already full before this thing hit. So what are we going to do if 100,000 patients need to go into hospital?

Won't the mortality end up MUCH worse if those 20% of patients can't get hospitalized? Think, man, think.
Calm down.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing up the flu, strokes, obesity, cancer, smoking, HIV, guns, auto accidents ... blah blah blah.

I'm also not the one bringing up Deepwater Horizon, John Bolton and our military.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:19 PM

57,201 posts, read 26,160,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
They believe Trump is the cure. What else does one need to know?

P.T. Barnum knew all about these folks.
They will believe pretty much anything.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:25 PM

39,838 posts, read 26,474,115 times
Default Putting things in perspective-H1N1, 2009

The H1N1 virus hit the US in April of 2009. Before it was over, 59 million Americans had been infected and 12,000 had died. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_f..._United_States

Now-a few questions come to mine concerning Obama's response-and equally importantly-the media's reaction. I don't recall a huge issue or panic concerning a disease that infected roughly 1 in 6 Americans-and left 12,000 dead.

The first case was diagnosed in April-and traced to Mexico. Now-did Obama effectively seal the border and prevent further cases from entering the country?

He didn't declare a "national emergency" until October-a full 6 months after it was identified. Did he get attacked by the media for such a slow, irresponsible response?

Timeline of events: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-timeline.html

It seems like someone was asleep at the controls when this pandemic occurred....

Old 03-02-2020, 08:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,661,151 times
Deflection is interesting. Perhaps you could use your energy to help figure out where we are going to get 10's of thousands of extra hospital beds with respirators?

Stop with the decades ago stuff. Stop.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,841,019 times
Coronavirus is like the flu that never was... I know liberals keep wishing it would get bigger... It's season is about to end... A dollar short and a day late for liberals... Sad..

Old 03-02-2020, 08:34 PM

33,520 posts, read 37,113,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Here's the full quote. But you know that. You're being intentionally misleading
Pence was either ignorant or wrong...

Quote:
Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Smoking also increases risk for tuberculosis, certain eye diseases, and problems of the immune system, including rheumatoid arthritis.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_in...ects/index.htm

Old 03-02-2020, 08:35 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,510,694 times
The difference between the two is that H1N1 was first discovered here in the US, even though it seems to have originated in Mexico via travelers to there. Can't seal the border off from yourself. In Mexico it seemed like just another flu.

With the coronavirus, its presence was first found in China before it got to the US. So that would give policymakers time to seal off the border before many cases came here.

Also, Mexico directly borders the US. Between China and the US is an ocean. It's easier to restrict travel over an ocean than a land border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.