Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 06:52 AM

698 posts, read 234,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I was supposed to be at the American Physical Society convention in Denver this week (our company sells to that industry and has a booth). On Saturday night they sent out an email cancelling the show (with an estimated attendance of 10,000). I'm curious-what other conventions, meetings or sporting events have been cancelled due to fears of CV? I have found articles on some international ones, but nothing in the US.

The cost of this convention cancellation alone has to be several million dollars, given admission fees, airline tickets, motels and dining. The impact of others could be far larger.
I believe it was yesterday Trump said his political rallys were perfectly safe. It seems to me conventions would also be safe, if, of course, we can believe the POTUS,

Old 03-03-2020, 06:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Compared the Big Ag bail-out numbers (25 Billion or more) to what Trump wants to fight this thing (2.5 Billion) and one can get an idea of priorities.

He now wants to lower interest rates:
1. Savers and investors won't be able to make anything.....
2. People will be able to borrow money 1/2 of 1% cheaper to pay 10's of thousands for their couple days in the hospital.

MAGA
Trump seeks to goose the stock market.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, you just run around stating as fact, something that you don't know?
Uh, I provided links - do you want more - proving 100% that almost no tests are available.

By the end of the week some tests will be available. That's from the CDC.

I clearly stated the FACT that when one isn't tested, they don't test positive. That's the only fact that I stated.....

Just because I don't know where babies are being born in the USA today...doesn't mean it's not FACT that they are being born. See if you can get your mind around that.

Or, give us the real facts as per your view? Do you believe the cases in the USA are multiplying? Or contained and headed down?

Sometimes common sense is in order. No testing? Then no diagnosing!

Old 03-03-2020, 07:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Everyone PANIC now! Right NOW!

Old 03-03-2020, 07:15 AM

Notice how I am jumped on for stating the obvious that no testing=no positives....

BUT, in the last couple of hours:

1. Trump told thousands of people at his rally that such rally was exempt from the CV - you can't get it there!
2. Trump brought Big Pharma to the WH and asked them if the seasonal flu vaccine would work for CV

Folks, you can't make this stuff up! Dumb and dangerous (#2 is dumb to ask, #1 is dangerous to say).

Is it too much to expect a POTUS to know the very basics of reality?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Oh what a tangled web we weave...by the way, there is absolutely no way a CT confirms what type of virus/illness produced the pneumonia, it just confirms the pneumonia. I have heard the CT thing several times but am not sure where it came from. Anyway, a CT or a CXR merely confirms pneumonia, not where it came from.
And if I am not wrong, each CAT scan increasing your chance of getting cancer BIG TIME. It used to be 1 in 1,000 for each test....so give 1,000 people a scan, create one new cancer.

Oh, looked it up in Scientific American - yes, it's still about that:
"one extra case of cancer for every 400 to 2,000 routine chest CT exams."

" single CT scan subjects the human body to between 150 and 1,100 times the radiation of a conventional x-ray,"

The good news is that the Trump supporting for-profit Cancer Centers of America will have more profits.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:19 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
If we dont test. We cant possibly know. That is the point.
I understand that I only highlighted a portion of the quote, but did you read the entire quote?

A lot of what if in there"likely"

How does she know that it's moving to fast, that they cannot keep up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Does not have the Sarasota and Manatee cases there yet. Only one in Hillsborough (Tampa).

The cases down here have likely exposed many as health care workers from the Hospital are now being quarantined and the local military academy (someone works there and at the hospital) shut down and disinfected.

This is moving too fast for them to follow.....remember, if testing cannot be done then cases cannot be confirmed. I would say that map lags by at least a couple weeks due to testing alone. AND, if spread is exponential, that means a lot.

I hope I am wrong but don't see the errors in my statements...if you don't test people....well, then they don't have it!

If there was a one day test available no questions asked that chart would look a lot different. But when a top doc at a top hospital has to BEG for ONE TEST....well, I think you know the score then.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
I heard the stupid question, then I heard Fox defending the stupid flu vaccine question this morning. If we reelect this clown show we deserve what we get.
How can that be defended? As if China, the WHO, the CDC and every infectious disease expert in the country and world didn't think of that long ago - and then dismiss it. As if they didn't test most everything possible in China in the first couple of weeks?

There is really no excuse for either- telling people they can't get it in a crowd....c'mon. This is unprecedented.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:24 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
6 people dead (all senior citizens) from coronavirus out of 330 million here in USA. I'll take my chances thank you.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I understand that I only highlighted a portion of the quote, but did you read the entire quote?

A lot of what if in there"likely"

How does she know that it's moving to fast, that they cannot keep up?
Seems that some in this thread have problems understanding words like IF......

So I will make it simpler.
1. Of course the maps lag the reality.....proof of a few of those is within walking distance of where I sit right now.
2. If testing is not available or done, then new cases cannot be confirmed
3. What little testing there is/was has exposed new cases all over the USA.
4. If top doctors cannot get tests then they cannot diagnose - therefore the map lags
5. I hope I am wrong, but the above would seem like mostly basic logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies