Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 06:33 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
While many get away with minor symptoms, it claims 3.4% death rate, which is the same as the H1N1 in 1918 which killed 50-100 million.

If the spread can be controlled, then it wont be a big deal. Lot of corporations has frozen business travel for employees, and telling others to work from home if there is any doubt, etc, so we are far more educated than in 1918. We also don't have tens of millions of soldiers returning home from war as was the case in 1918. The worst case scenario is the 1957 influenza which killed 1-2 million. That could happen if it hits places like Africa with full force.
You forgot to mention that medical science has progressed a bit in the last 102 years.

Viruses were not actually fully discovered until 1926 and their existence was still debated until the 1940s when they finally had a microscope that could view them. No way this is going to be a H1N1 event.

And that death rate won't hold because the United States won't try to hide it for 2 months like the Communist government did in China, and it got completely out of control in a city bigger than NYC.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Pro-Trumpers used to defend the dude in these kind of situations by claiming he's just "trolling" the liberal media. For some reason, I don't see that as often lately.
They swoon when their "beloved" crosses his arms across his chest and says "can't you have it in 3 months? Honestly that sounds better than 1 1/2 years".

Old 03-04-2020, 06:34 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
lol at believing Orangemanbad propaganda from the Bezos Post.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:35 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
He's an idiot who doesn't understand how vaccinations work, even after explained to him a half dozen times...is it his "low intelligence", attention span of a flea, short term memory loss, dementia - or all of the above?!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...mments-wrapper
We didn't elect a biologist.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:35 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Which strain is in Iran?
Washington State?
One would think a more aggressive one simply because China has been locked down now and infections are coming from the earlier travelers. Not that I know anything about it, but I have suspected for a while that something was going on with respect to the virulence of corona. China all of a sudden went from strong linear if not weak exponential growth to a nearly flat growth and now to a decline. Only 80K people ended up infected out of a billion or so. Yes, you can credit their lockdown, but it was very porous in the beginning and the virus should have seeded well beyond Hubei. In the US we see cases, but even here, scientists suspect it has been circulating for weeks and we have but a relative handful of cases. While I am not going to take the ostrich pose of the Trumpers, I am ever so slightly optimistic that I and my family will survive this virus and that our bungling administration will not matter all that much in the outcome.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:38 AM

7,927 posts, read 3,469,281 times
There is a point somewhere in between "there's nothing to see here" and "full panic mode" where reasonable people would normally reside. But reasonable people are few and far between in an election season, especially one as hotly contested as this one.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:39 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One would think a more aggressive one simply because China has been locked down now and infections are coming from the earlier travelers. Not that I know anything about it, but I have suspected for a while that something was going on with respect to the virulence of corona. China all of a sudden went from strong linear if not weak exponential growth to a nearly flat growth and now to a decline. Only 80K people ended up infected out of a billion or so. Yes, you can credit their lockdown, but it was very porous in the beginning and the virus should have seeded well beyond Hubei. In the US we see cases, but even here, scientists suspect it has been circulating for weeks and we have but a relative handful of cases. While I am not going to take the ostrich pose of the Trumpers, I am ever so slightly optimistic that I and my family will survive this virus and that our bungling administration will not matter all that much.
80k/1.3 billion works out to .006% of the population of China. Now...what percent of the US population has had the flu this winter?

Old 03-04-2020, 06:44 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Facts vs alternate facts. This is the problem, it seems to me Americans are getting more dependable information from other countries and the WHO than our own. Other countries are testing 10,000 people per day, becuase they want to know, the US does maybe 500, Trump seems to be keeping secrets or simply does not want to know.
Yes, such as you bold to the underlined....your alternate facts, because of your hate for trump.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:46 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Tell that to Italy:

Righto. It's no biggee.

God help you if you are male, older, a cancer patient, immune-compromised, or a smoker.

And best of luck if you're a health care worker or first responder. Half the first responders to Life Care Health Facility in WA are now showing symptoms of the virus.

Italian docs and health care workers also sick.

Just sayin'.
It seems to be something that you'd take the same precautions against as you would any flu during flu season. Those whose health/immune system is compromised are going to be more affected by any flu/cold etc than your average person who is in relatively good health. It's always been this way.

That said, I feel badly for all who have succumbed to any of these flus and complications from their illnesses. It sucks.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
One would think a more aggressive one simply because China has been locked down now and infections are coming from the earlier travelers. Not that I know anything about it, but I have suspected for a while that something was going on with respect to the virulence of corona. China all of a sudden went from strong linear if not weak exponential growth to a nearly flat growth and now to a decline. Only 80K people ended up infected out of a billion or so. Yes, you can credit their lockdown, but it was very porous in the beginning and the virus should have seeded well beyond Hubei. In the US we see cases, but even here, scientists suspect it has been circulating for weeks and we have but a relative handful of cases. While I am not going to take the ostrich pose of the Trumpers, I am ever so slightly optimistic that I and my family will survive this virus and that our bungling administration will not matter all that much in the outcome.
Whatever strain the fact is that it isn't as easily spread as some suspect...so China's aggressive measures surely did have a lot of effect.

I wouldn't yet count on weak strains to save us (especially those of us older than 55) - but avoidance may do the job.

Even in the very worse case most of us will survive this...so that in itself is not too exciting. The biggest question is whether 1,000, 10,000, 100,000 Americans will die from it or complications...along with other questions such as whether or not it will come back in the Fall.

We can also guess that a lot of deaths and suffering will result that will not be counted. For example, one local hospital here just shut down surgery 100% because they have ONE CV Patient. These are all corporate owned facilities so my guess is they can do as they please. However, such things likely result in problems...now or down the line.

Of course, this stuff won't be counted by many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies