Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 11:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
[/i]

Yeah, that's the first I've heard that claim as well.
Maybe that poster was speaking of the 2 cases that died last week in the nursing home that were not confirmed to be coronavirus until yesterday.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:35 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I believe Johns Hopkins is more acurate for the US - Johns Hopkins has 138 infected in the US and World Meters has 137.
Johns Hopkins is continuously updated throughout the day.
World meters is not continuous; they update at specific time periods
CDC website is once per day with yesterday's numbers.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:38 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We only have 120 cases because we are not looking for it. We have done what 500 tests! They have gone back and tested people who died several weeks ago and found the cause of death was corona. See no evil is the motto of the Trump admin on this. It is all a Democratic hoax, of course.
Yes, but testing or not, the fact that "only" 138 cases from this virus have been reported is at least somewhat encouraging, I think. Now what would really "tell the tale", I think is if the death count by month from ALL sources (cancer, flu, whatever) is published next year in 2021, and it shows a huge spike starting in March 2020 compared to the same months for previous years, now that would be telling, I think. (But, of course, that would be after the fact.)

P.S. to Southbel, Post #2240 below: Yes, you are correct, and I edited that and the number. Thanks!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-04-2020 at 11:49 AM..

Old 03-04-2020, 11:39 AM

17,420 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Any idea whether the US will again start reporting the results of that testing? The key isn't that we're behind but that the data has been pulled. Personally, I don't think the CV is yet widespread in the United States nor statistically a threat to the individual. Many others here differ, thinking it widespread and mild.

Don't we have a right to best data - so we can each make the decisions we think best for our families? That is key information.
Reporting? I would assume since it's a public health concern, most likely immediately like I assume they've been doing thus far.

By the end of the week, more than a million tests will be able to be performed. But labs can only handle 15,000 per day.

And since the CDC just lifted the restrictions on being tested - all you need is a doctor's okay - I'm sure there's going to be a big bottleneck of people getting testing initially. Because every damn Chicken Little with the sniffles will be lining up to be tested - thus putting an immense strain on the very system that should be helping sick people.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, but testing or not, the fact that only 120 deaths from this virus have been reported is at least somewhat encouraging, I think. Now what would really "tell the tale", I think is if the death count by month from ALL sources (cancer, flu, whatever) is published next year in 2021, and it shows a huge spike starting in March 2020 compared to the same months for previous years, now that would be telling, I think. (But, of course, that would be after the fact.)
I think you mean 120 cases, not deaths. 9 deaths.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:40 AM

43,101 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Any idea whether the US will again start reporting the results of that testing? The key isn't that we're behind but that the data has been pulled. Personally, I don't think the CV is yet widespread in the United States nor statistically a threat to the individual. Many others here differ, thinking it widespread and mild.

Don't we have a right to best data - so we can each make the decisions we think best for our families? That is key information.
Total tested is NOT "key information".

Confirmed is though.

They could test 1 million people. That's no help to you is it ?
But the one that tested positive and appears on the CDC website is important.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Reporting? I would assume since it's a public health concern, most likely immediately like I assume they've been doing thus far.

By the end of the week, more than a million tests will be able to be performed. But labs can only handle 15,000 per day.

And since the CDC just lifted the restrictions on being tested - all you need is a doctor's okay - I'm sure there's going to be a big bottleneck of people getting testing initially. Because every damn Chicken Little with the sniffles will be lining up to be tested - thus putting an immense strain on the very system that should be helping sick people.
Oh yes, cue the hypochondriacs rushing out to get their tests.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
On corona? I have seen no evidence of that. Of course, there's also John Hopkins map which uses WHO, CDC, ECDC, NHS, and DXY as sources. https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Their numbers match up to world meter on Coronavirus with one or two case.
Just checked it out, and both the above map and the worldometers site now match almost exactly for the U.S. (Above says 138, worldometers say 137).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

However, re: the above link, the serious/critical number has not changed at all, and is still at 8! Any ideas why that would be?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:47 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I continue to be impressed with the way CDC and the various government agencies have handled this. Their job is to take actions necessary to prevent the spread of infectious disease, educate the public both in what actions to take to protect themselves, and to inform them of progress the disease is making.
And who in the world could possibly say they haven't done that?

Old 03-04-2020, 11:51 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wait.. what?

do we test for it, or don't we?

We do, but probably not nearly enough. There was a lot of criticism about the lack of testing, so now we get no numbers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies