Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 12:12 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If you REALLY want to geek out, here: https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19

It's all of the data collected by Johns Hopkins.
That's not really what she is talking about.

Well, I don't THINK so.

This is much more comprehensive https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...008/edit#gid=0
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2020, 12:16 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
coronavirus has spread to the biggest metropolitan area in the United States.

Los Angeles has declared a state of emergency.

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/st...78295211618304

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Ok but for the normal Joe they don't care about analyzing any of this.
I'm sure scientists are gathering this info from all over, not just the US.
A numerator doesn't help without a denominator. I understand the implications of certain data, and like I said I'm no expert with some courses decades ago not counting for much.

More persuasive than Trump's reassurances is this: There is a reason why Amazon cancelled its participation at a worldwide conference in Barcelona (that was later cancelled) at least a couple of weeks ago. Amazon both can do the math and given its inroads into China grasped the implications of widespread there. Amazon was ahead the curve.

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's not really what she is talking about.

Well, I don't THINK so.

This is much more comprehensive https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...008/edit#gid=0
Um, did you even look at the link I posted?

Old 03-04-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Um, did you even look at the link I posted?
No. lol

I saw the link and thought it was to the Johns Hopkins dashboard.

That's good data.

In Congress they were grilling the Homeland Security guy, and asking we had modeled the outbreak and if he new what cases scenarios said.... he didn't know the answer.

I would curious to see the mid-range model (not best case, not worst case).

Old 03-04-2020, 12:23 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The virus has the potential to severely limit the availability of medical care and disrupt supply chains.

Contrast the US approach to that the UK. There, the government appears to leak possible scenarios and public health responses to media outlets. That has the impact of not overwhelming the public but at the same time providing some assurance there are ongoing plans being put into place. That the government 'gets it.'

Here ... the opposite. Why? Since this is a political forum, no problem with saying this approach is typical for DJT. This he cannot control via twitter - so he instead uses other methods to shape the world as he wants it to be.
Here in Florida there is zero question. The Medical care system is #49 in the country in access. Rick Scott was Gov. for two terms and he is best known for health care fraud. Now he is Senator. We have a current Gov. who teaches his infant love for DJT.

Here it really doesn't matter. The main goals of the economy are:
1. Part people with their money
2. Develop every swamp into housing or such
3. Don't spend money on the real things...like Schools, Mass Transit...or public health. Just use PR instead.

Example - one hospital here has one CV patient. They have shut down ALL surgeries. We only have maybe 3 Hospitals and only one with even a mediocre rating...for many 100's of thousands of people and tourists.

It doesn't take a spreadsheet to figure out that if one patient slows the system, 100 will virtually paralyze it and 1,000 will be a complete nightmare. Yet given the age and traveling habits, etc - this seems a real possibility.

I., for one, have zero expectation that the system here will hold up to anything that stresses it. There effectively is no system except giant digital billboards trying to attract you to Joes hospital instead of Sams.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
coronavirus has spread to the biggest metropolitan area in the United States.

Los Angeles has declared a state of emergency.

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/st...78295211618304

No one should get too concerned about a "State of Emergency" being declared. It is an administrative move that gives more options should an actual emergency happen.

For example, in Hawaii, if a hurricane was projected to come close, a State of Emergency was declared. You do NOT want to have to something like that after-the-fact if it can be helped.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Be thankful for small things like the reasonable House coming up with 8 Billion to start the fight - more than triple what DJT wanted to spend.....and even that took a push.

I'm sure he will sign it once the House and Senate vote on it. They certainly know better than he in this case and although he might want to waylay some for the Wall, I'm sure protections will be built in.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Would these be the same people that have 10,000 rolls of TP, 5000 N95 masks and all the gallons of water from Walmart stocked up in their living room ?
For sure. Gotta say, I don't get the bottled water thing. Here in hurricane country, having bottled water on hand makes sense but for a possible quarantine due to virus? Do they think the water is getting turned off? People are strange.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:36 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
11 corona deaths in the United States. First death in California confirmed moments ago....

https://twitter.com/Rosemary913/stat...87577911062531
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies