Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 12:37 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Be thankful for small things like the reasonable House coming up with 8 Billion to start the fight - more than triple what DJT wanted to spend.....and even that took a push.

I'm sure he will sign it once the House and Senate vote on it. They certainly know better than he in this case and although he might want to waylay some for the Wall, I'm sure protections will be built in.
How does the House know how much is needed? You're praising them for something in which they have no data to support (nor do you).

Old 03-04-2020, 12:45 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
How does the House know how much is needed? You're praising them for something in which they have no data to support (nor do you).
Well, apparently the lawmakers know more than you do anyway, because they have just approved an $8 billion deal to get the coronavirus thing going. I'm thinking a Congress full of hundreds of people probably has a better handle on things than a CD poster.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:46 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, apparently the lawmakers know more than you do anyway, because they have just approved an $8 billion deal to get the coronavirus thing going. I'm thinking a Congress full of hundreds of people probably has a better handle on things than a CD poster.
And it is around 4X what the Administration thought they needed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2020, 12:47 PM

17,412 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No. lol

I saw the link and thought it was to the Johns Hopkins dashboard.

That's good data.

In Congress they were grilling the Homeland Security guy, and asking we had modeled the outbreak and if he new what cases scenarios said.... he didn't know the answer.

I would curious to see the mid-range model (not best case, not worst case).
Did you participate in the threads from late Jan/early Feb that got locked here on POC?

This was something that was in them ... it held true for a few weeks, even surpassed, then took a very big nosedive in accuracy:

https://imgur.com/a/cVGYrCk#hihkhjD

Old 03-04-2020, 12:47 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
We dont know how many cases there are. That is a problem when you are not sure of the incubation period. We should have been testing as soon as we were aware. Instead Trump meets with pharmaceutical companies to find a CURE. I don't care who you are. That should concern you.
That's binary thinking. This isn't a binary problem. There will be numerous balances that need be maintained, like what China now faces as it attempts to restart its economy.

That said, I believe China offered all sorts of economic incentives to manufacturers to experiment with treatments and possible vaccines. Here's what WE have:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...cy-bill-119729
The biggest issue, according to several people familiar with negotiations, involves a Democratic attempt to control the costs of vaccines and other treatments that are developed in response to the outbreak. Other issues include details of hospital reimbursement for uninsured patients and whether to pay for a provision to help expand telemedicine, which would cost roughly $500 million.

Sure I think Trump not well suited to deal with this, but we have a broken political system. Its timing right before a Presidential election is atrocious. The public isn't ready to process too much negativity which, for a Democratic candidate, is a lose-lose. He/she would turn off voters but then leave themselves open to charges of using the CV as a political tool.

The CCP authoritarian as it is didn't have to deal with this crap.

Old 03-04-2020, 12:48 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
That's cute. Do you really believe that and have full confidence that Congress did the necessary IGEs to determine the needed funds for this issue? Do you think they surveyed FEMA, CDC, HHS, and other relevant agencies to determine this dollar amount? Or do you think they threw a number out there based on half-assed guesstimations (psst - most likely scenario)?

Old 03-04-2020, 12:50 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Okay, so now the U.S. toll is now at 11 out of 137 or 138 reported cases, which is a much higher than the 2.0 to 3.4% fatality rates that have been quoted. Any guesses why?

Is it possible that this is because only the most serious coronavirus cases have been identified as such?

And, btw, the number of serious/critical cases in the U.S. is STILL being shown as 8!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I am seriously beginning to doubt ALL of their numbers!

Last edited by katharsis; 03-04-2020 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-04-2020, 12:51 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Did you participate in the threads from late Jan/early Feb that got locked here on POC?

This was something that was in them ... it held true for a few weeks, even surpassed, then took a very big nosedive in accuracy:

https://imgur.com/a/cVGYrCk#hihkhjD
I had seen that. Whose model is that? And everyt ime they do models like this they have a couple versions (worst case/best case).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2020, 12:52 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus News/Updates  MERGED-06932bcf-bf8e-4973-81a8-ab27603456b7.jpeg  

Old 03-04-2020, 12:52 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
That's cute. Do you really believe that and have full confidence that Congress did the necessary IGEs to determine the needed funds for this issue? Do you think they surveyed FEMA, CDC, HHS, and other relevant agencies to determine this dollar amount? Or do you think they threw a number out there based on half-assed guesstimations (psst - most likely scenario)?
No one has a clue how this will play out in the United States. Thank God for Congress. We need no bureaucratic paperwork now. What this nation will do is throw out money and then more money then more after that. It's out only trump card (pun intended). If this is a medical version of WW2, we will buy it to death. That's what this country is good at - it's our comparative advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies