Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 05:11 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,400,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
How many Trump devotees believe Trumps reluctance to test for CV was Obama's fault? Just wondering.
What proof do you have that Trump is reluctant to test for CV?

Clearly the bureaucratic BS that has been in place for decades is behind whatever resulted in the delay in testing. Who knows which president that belongs to. Probably most of them.

The people at CDC and FDA are not new to this.

Unfortunately we no longer have a Congress that is capable of investigating the issue without politicizing it so we will probably never know.

Perhaps if the Democrats hadn't had the country embroiled in a hoax of an impeachment during January we would already know this or have been ahead of this situation. Thank God Trump was not asleep at the wheel.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you think it’s a smart move for the president to be saying that, he should be telling them to stay home unless absolutely necessary. They shut down schools and public events in some countries, he doesn’t seem to take this seriously.
Yeah if they interview him about what people should do he should say that.

It was a short interview. They were talking about whether or not the mortality rate was correct not preparing a thesis for a PhD.

When someone asks you a specific question do you spew every possible related idea you can think of in response to that question?

Get real. Context is important.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:15 PM

39,017 posts, read 51,026,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Apparently Lindsey didn't listen to the scientist at WHO or Dr. Anthony Fauci who basically said the same thing that Trump is saying lol.

No worries not everyone can be up to date on everything. Be careful who you listen to.
Fauci today was "sharpie facts". I thought he was above being browbeaten by Trump and his henchmen but I overestimated the man. He is a professional who should rely on data, not speculation intended to blow smoke up Trump's arse. There is no data that can tell us what the US death rate might be because the Trump admin has completely dropped the ball on testing.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If one is under 30 that is OK, but for the millions of us over 60 Trump is playing politics with our lives.
Ha...…..lots of people over 60 are living off the market and have a vested interest in seeing it stable.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My 12 yr old grand has better vocabulary and speaking skills - wow! So in the end, what did he really say?
Check with your grand. I bet she can decipher it for you.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:24 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,376,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
As pointed out earlier they are two different figures. 10-20% of those who were infected with Spanish Flu (H1N1) died, which amounted to 2-3% of the population. Corona kills 3.4% of those infected. Of course if it gets out of control, then 3.4% will amount to millions.

Surprisingly Mike Pence just mandated private insurance companies carry the cost of testing for it, which will give them a legit reason to hike insurance premiums for everyone
Those on the right love paying higher insurance premiums so it all works out.

Quote:
100 million sick, and 4 million dead Americans is not a big deal......
Im confused myself, but this seems to be the conservative take on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
China has/had around 80,000 infected. There population is what, 1.3 billion? That works out to .006% of the population infected, with far fewer dead (their death toll is what, 2500 or so?). Just 11 years ago we had 59 million infected with H1N1 and 12,000 deaths, out of a population 1/4 the size of China. This is something to be concerned about-but put it in perspective. It's far less of an issue (at the moment at least) than things we've been through in the recent past. But of course in 2009, no one was trying to politicize the pandemic.
I think the number of dead being reported in china, should be taken with a grain of salt. You might want to multiple that 2500 by a factor of 10 if you want to get to the real number. Let's not be naive here.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:27 PM

25,607 posts, read 56,335,104 times
Default Back to the disease itself....

I think the Chinese have a much better understanding of this disease, which is why they have taken brutal measures to stop its spread - welding buildings shut, destroying household pets. They are ruthless. Yes, pets can become infected and transmit to humans (reported in link below). Yes, one can be considered recovered, discharged from hospital, and die a few days later as disease reasserts itself with a vengeance.

Quote:
Coronavirus: ‘recovered’ patient dies as China reports discharged cases falling ill again

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...-139-new-cases
He isn't the only one. Chinese have now set up after-care facilities, where after hospital discharge patient goes to yet another facility to wait it out in the event of a recurrence. Because it happens.

In US, multi-generational families very susceptible to a bad outcome for older members - kids bring home virus, grandma/grandpa die. Seriously. The death rate is very high among seniors with health issues. The virus attacks the lungs with a vengeance (and the nervous system). It was obvious when the cases were announced in WA nursing home all of those afflicted would die. They did. And now others in that home are infected. They will die, too.

So, peeps, warn your older family members with health issues - this is not a joke. In areas where confirmed cases are reported, avoid crowds, stop eating in restaurants, wash hands frequently, stay away from sick people, and stop visiting your friends in nursing homes.

Problem in US - people won't stay put.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Fauci today was "sharpie facts". I thought he was above being browbeaten by Trump and his henchmen but I overestimated the man. He is a professional who should rely on data, not speculation intended to blow smoke up Trump's arse. There is no data that can tell us what the US death rate might be because the Trump admin has completely dropped the ball on testing.
It is way to early imo to know what the death rate is.

That is a long way down the road when researchers start looking at how many people have antibodies in their blood to this disease.

In fact, I really don't care or believe what anyone says the death rate is at this point.

The relevant point is that we all already have the information we need to prepare ourselves for the impact of this virus.

I get it that speculating on the death rate is a fun thing for some, but it simply doesn't matter to me.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:30 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,376,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I think the Chinese have a much better understanding of this disease, which is why they have taken brutal measures to stop its spread - welding buildings shut, destroying household pets. They are ruthless. Yes, pets can become infected and transmit to humans (reported in link below). Yes, one can be considered recovered, discharged from hospital, and die a few days later as disease reasserts itself with a vengeance.

He isn't the only one. Chinese have now set up after-care facilities, where after hospital discharge patient goes to yet another facility to wait it out in the event of a recurrence. Because it happens.

In US, multi-generational families very susceptible to a bad outcome for older members - kids bring home virus, grandma/grandpa die. Seriously. The death rate is very high among seniors with health issues. The virus attacks the lungs with a vengeance (and the nervous system). It was obvious when the cases were announced in WA nursing home all of those afflicted would die. They did. And now others in that home are infected. They will die, too.

So, peeps, warn your older family members with health issues - this is not a joke. In areas where confirmed cases are reported, avoid crowds, stop eating in restaurants, wash hands frequently, stay away from sick people, and stop visiting your friends in nursing homes.

Problem in US - people won't stay put.
Don't worry, Trump is on this. Hopefully someone on foxnews will come up with a solution, so Trump can then implement it.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:32 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,115,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
Don't worry, Trump is on this. Hopefully someone on foxnews will come up with a solution, so Trump can then implement it.

I see the rabid liberals have made this the new point of attack in their hopes to get Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies