Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2020, 09:36 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Really? Do you think about the number of car deaths when you run to the store?

Well yeah, kind of.

That's why we have car insurance, and medical insurance. That's why we bought a safer truck now that we are on the mainland.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2020, 09:36 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Due to the nonstop media coverage of CV I thought it would be the first pandemic in modern times. I was vaguely aware of the swine flu but paid no attention at the time.

I did some googling on the swine flu, and found the swine flu was classifed as a pandemic in 2009, with huge numbers of infections worldwide as shown by the attached Wiki chart.

Obviously CV has symptoms/effects that are different and may be worse than swine flu but the swine flu puts the numbers of CV infections into perspective. No doubt CV will be a pandemic but the world survived the swine flu pandemic and should survive the CV pandemic despite the massive media frenzy that I have never seen before.

Attachment 218530
The keyword in your post is "flu".

Flu. You know, the thing we make vaccines for. Basically the same thing we have made them for...for decades.

Knowing that H1N1 is a basic flu variant is important. CV is not.

Hence the name "Novel" which means "a new story".

Old 03-07-2020, 09:38 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The media gets worse each year. Simple snowstorms are potential apocalypses now.
The media has been going on non-stop about TP and sanitizer which fueled the panic buying.

We are a nation of lemmings.
Just wait for hurricane season to start each storm will be the in biggest history

Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 AM

46,283 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well yeah, kind of.

That's why we have car insurance, and medical insurance. That's why we bought a safer truck now that we are on the mainland.

But when you go to get into your car every single time, do you think about the number of drunks that are on the road and the possibility that you maybe killed by one? What about people using their cells phones....

Sorry, I just cannot understand people thinking like that.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:41 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Honestly the fact that Trump & Co are trying so hard to downplay this is proof to me that it's a huge deal.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:47 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
But when you go to get into your car every single time, do you think about the number of drunks that are on the road and the possibility that you maybe killed by one? What about people using their cells phones....

Sorry, I just cannot understand people thinking like that.

Well, if there had been a rash of drunk driving incidents in my area, then I probably would.

We have insurance, we seat belts, we have cars that stop if they get to close to something. All of those things were done because accidents are pretty common.

We have done due diligence to prevent accidents, and protect ourselves.

CoVid? We have NOT done our due diligence, AND we have no precautions that can be implemented to protect us.

Besides things like social distancing and the like.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2020, 09:57 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
So this is why we're behind the curve. It's unconscionable to have leadership that believes in hunches rather than science and facts. Apologies if this has been posted previously. I haven't read all the posts.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...failure-123166

Old 03-07-2020, 09:59 AM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The media gets worse each year. Simple snowstorms are potential apocalypses now.
The media has been going on non-stop about TP and sanitizer which fueled the panic buying.

We are a nation of lemmings.
I like to think that many people in country prefer facts and science instead of ignoring them. Good on the media for getting this information out there.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,805,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Honestly the fact that Trump & Co are trying so hard to downplay this is proof to me that it's a huge deal.
Yeah that's the thing. I am usually the opposite of an alarmist, not a conspiracy theorist. But I don't trust this administration and the response so far has been pathetic. Why wasn't everyone on that cruise ship tested? Why didn't we take the test kits from the WHO? Why are we so far behind in distributing kits? Trump even came out and said he didn't want the cruise ship people to make the number of cases go up. It reminds me so much of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico and the lies about the death count there. And the head of the CDC praising trump for his decisive action? Meanwhile trump is back at his golf course today.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:01 AM

46,283 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I like to think that many people in country prefer facts and science instead of ignoring them. Good on the media for getting this information out there.

Sure, if that's what they provided and not along with their opinion associated with their hate for trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies