Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A bunch of stock market plunge has to do with the price war on oil.
I am not so sure.

Certainly oil companies that supply oil against the SA will hurt...however...shouldn't most companies benefit from cheaper oil?

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
11 deaths? There have been more people shot and killed in the various ghetto's than that, over the same time frame. Yeah - I will go out on a limb and say that the media has an agenda here. And we know what that agenda is.
Actually, it's the White House that has an agenda--stall testing as long as possible to keep the numbers low, so low-information voters like you will believe there's nothing to see here. And it works--with the low-information voters, anyway. As you have just proved.

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We are going to Maryland in a few days.

My daughter who we are visiting suggested we consider reconsidering due to the virus (Mayland has 3 cases confirmed last I knew). We told her we do not see rural Maryland as any more dangerous than Michigan.

We are waiting to see what happens for our plans to spend a day in D.C. My father is going with us and he is almost 90 and has COPD, so he is a prime candidate for Corona virus mortality. Ultimately it is his call. I am not going to tell him he cannot visit the Capitol if he really wants to. His brain is still working reasonably well and i am not about to substitute my judgement for his. Maybe we will just drive through D.C. and observe the buildings and monuments from the car. Or, if it is not crowded, we may go in to places and just ask him not to touch anything and stay 10 feet away from anyone else there.

I may use the virus as an excuse to discourage my family from wanting to eat out all the time. However that is really just because I do not want to pay for it than any perceived risk on my part.

It is really weird how even corona virus is becoming politicized. The left seems to want to over play the risk and the right seems to want to underplay it while each side is trying to use it to attack the other. WTF is wrong with our country?

Old 03-09-2020, 09:30 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A bunch of stock market plunge has to do with the price war on oil.
That's true. But going a little deeper, the demand for oil products is falling because of the various restrictions in place.
Just to show an example, Nitrogen Dioxide has dropped sharply over parts of China where the economic slowdown is greatest.
Quote:
.....There is evidence that the change is at least partly related to the economic slowdown following the outbreak of coronavirus.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ets-over-china

I found it interesting that as the door to Pandora's Box was opened, the door to a cleaner environment was too.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:33 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
This whole thing is a blatent political attack.
Lets scare the crap out of everbody and crash the economy so we can win in November.
Scumbags.
You may want to get your information from a more reliable source.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:34 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Actually, it's the White House that has an agenda--stall testing as long as possible to keep the numbers low, so low-information voters like you will believe there's nothing to see here. And it works--with the low-information voters, anyway. As you have just proved.
Someone rain on your apocalypse?

Old 03-09-2020, 09:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Why does everyone have to be so mean? Does it make you feel better about yourself to call people "low information"? Bully, much? You do understand that both sides of the aisle manipulate voters and both sides have voters that are able to be manipulated, right? Can it be that both sides have an agenda? Maybe you are being manipulated too by believing the hysteria. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Those who demean others usually do so in order to boost their own confidence and to downplay their own insecurities and faults.
I think both sides have handled this very poorly.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,680 times
I just got back from a lengthy stay in Australia, where I was when the virus began spreading. Last weekend I went skiing in the Pyrenees, which was a really nice weekend! I had never been to the Pyrenees before, but they are equally as impressive as the Alps, and the architecture is very reminiscent of mountain towns in France, Germany, and Switzerland. Next weekend I'm headed down to Sevilla to meet some friends and warm up a little bit.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:36 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
There are no official numbers available but estimates of tests are 1000-1500. That's it! South Korea probably does that in a few hours. Any numbers we have on spread are meaningless.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:37 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I just got a great deal on a cruise to Italy!
Jokes aside, I'm planning a trip to Italy with my wife in the fall (October). Hopefully all is well by then, but just in case, we are really considering some robust trip insurance. Hope to purchase in the next two weeks.

Obviously, I have to consider all that is going on, but also find balance to live our lives. Cancel for any reason trip insurance never seemed like a good idea, until now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies