Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 01:48 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times

Advertisements

The governor of North Carolina has declared a state of emergency.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/governo...virus-covid-19

Old 03-10-2020, 01:51 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Haven't been on CD in months, meanwhile a lot has happened, especially that nasty virus

They said on the news today that in China they discovered the virus can remain alive and airborne for about half an hour and during that time it can be blown very far by draft/wind. So, you are not even safe when walking alone without any people near you.
They mentioned an example where the driver of a car got infected by the driver of the car in front of him, who sneezed and the draft pulled the droplets out of the open window and into the next car

Old 03-10-2020, 01:52 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The governor of North Carolina has declared a state of emergency.

https://governor.nc.gov/news/governo...virus-covid-19
And it begins....

Old 03-10-2020, 01:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
What I am wondering for instance: suppose an employee at the supermarket is infected and the virus gets onto produce. Will steaming/cooking the vegetable kill the virus?

Old 03-10-2020, 01:54 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And it begins....
A lot of states have declared a state of emergency. Remember though, this is an administrative action in anticipation of an event, that expands your options with things like federal aid.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2020, 01:59 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,307,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
One of the reasons they are doing better is mass testing. They have drive-through testing there, I think. That's a great idea.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:59 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
This is literally 4 miles from my house Things are crazy here... I had a small meeting scheduled for Thursday that consisted of 8 people... as of right now, 1 is sick at home waiting to be tested and another is a confirmed positive... This thing is everywhere in Westchester County, I am sure of it.. which means it is more widely spread in NYC. Just need the tests.
Stay safe, with best wishes. It's not as crazy here yet but my DD's (and her BF's) colleges just shut down. That will (finally) capture the attention of some who remain oblivious. We don't have the official numbers but that means little. Good to see officials are taking this seriously.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
While that is horrible, other strains of the flu kill far more people every year. WAKE UP FOLKS! The media is sensationalizing CV-19 for headlines! I think they are probably politicizing this a bit too, to hurt Trump. There is very little any president can do about this. If anything, congress could pass laws mandating sick time for employees.

Here is a link to an article that talks about regular flu deaths in the 2019/2020 winter. As of February, 16,000 people had died of other flu strains this winter alone! Where was all the hype and hysteria? Sadly, CV-19 will take out more people, that is what the flu and other viruses do. If one positive is coming out of all of this, it is that people may finally start to realize how serious viruses are and start practicing proper hygiene. As soon as summer is here, they will all forget.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182
I agree with you.

(To others: YES, we KNOW "it's NOT the flu!" that's not the point. The point is, other illnesses kill far more than this thing and we don't see widespread panic and Clorox wipes flying off the shelves at stores for them, do we?)

I'm just not buying the hype.

As for people practicing better hygiene...I wouldn't count on it. If grown ass adults can't figure out that they should be washing their hands way more than they are, by now, then there's no hope for them.

I will say this: I'm laughing at all of the idiots who mocked me for not touching jack all when out in public all these years. It's not just because of this over hyped thing, it's because people are disgusting pigs, and they're out there touching everything that they can. Imagine, they just went to the bathroom, didn't wash, came out and started touching things that you all touch...and then you don't wash your hands, either, and you put food in your mouth with soiled hands.

There's a reason I've used my sleeve for a long, long time. Ya'll disgusting. (general "ya'll")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Haven't been on CD in months, meanwhile a lot has happened, especially that nasty virus

They said on the news today that in China they discovered the virus can remain alive and airborne for about half an hour and during that time it can be blown very far by draft/wind. So, you are not even safe when walking alone without any people near you.
They mentioned an example where the driver of a car got infected by the driver of the car in front of him, who sneezed and the draft pulled the droplets out of the open window and into the next car
Oh come on. I don't believe that for a second.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
While that is horrible, other strains of the flu kill far more people every year. WAKE UP FOLKS! The media is sensationalizing CV-19 for headlines! I think they are probably politicizing this a bit too, to hurt Trump. There is very little any president can do about this. If anything, congress could pass laws mandating sick time for employees.

Here is a link to an article that talks about regular flu deaths in the 2019/2020 winter. As of February, 16,000 people had died of other flu strains this winter alone! Where was all the hype and hysteria? Sadly, CV-19 will take out more people, that is what the flu and other viruses do. If one positive is coming out of all of this, it is that people may finally start to realize how serious viruses are and start practicing proper hygiene. As soon as summer is here, they will all forget.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/1300-p...ry?id=67754182
Thanks for your advice. I'll go with a health expert or a pandemic expert.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...myths-explored
SARS-CoV-2 causes illness that does, indeed, have flu-like symptoms, such as aches, fever, and cough. Similarly, both COVID-19 and flu can be mild, severe, or, in rare cases, fatal. Both can also lead to pneumonia.

However, the overall profile of COVID-19 is more serious. Estimates vary, but its mortality rate seems to be between about 1% and 3%.

Although scientists are working out the exact mortality rate, it is likely to be many times higher than that of seasonal flu.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/co...why-2020-03-09

I'm not concerned really -- not panicked...not fretting. Just being realistic. If we do not contain the virus it will be way worse than the flu. We are like the first week of flu season right now -- lol. Do we want become a statistic like Wuhan or do we want to win and contain the virus.

I go with the latter.

Stay home if you are sick or immune compromised and wash your hands.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What I am wondering for instance: suppose an employee at the supermarket is infected and the virus gets onto produce. Will steaming/cooking the vegetable kill the virus?
I would imagine cooking would be fine as 86F is the magic number to kill it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies