Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 09:59 AM

15,825 posts, read 6,536,770 times

Advertisements

This is why I rely on the state government and other sources for information.

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Trying to wrap my brain around this: a CDC whistleblower went to the AP and told them that the CDC had prepared a report discouraging elderly and frail people from flying because of the dangers of Corona but the WH scotched that part of the report by ordering it to be removed. Why???? Why would the administration deliberately take an action that could potentially harm tens of thousands of our most vulnerable citizens???

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...s-fly-69462660
Traveling is a personal choice. The government is not in the habit of holding your hand. Commercial airliners and cruise ships are Petrie dishes of disease. Travel and cruise at your own risk.

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Define poor response? Here - testing kits not available, period.

Oh, and there was plenty of time to get ready since the outbreak started in December.
testing kits are available. the outbreak in china started in december, yeah. how do you propose making a test before the genome was even sequenced?

the cdc begged the chinese to let them visit and assist but were denied.

and now there's a worldwide shortage of RNA extraction kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
We don't make anything here anymore, what did you all think was going to happen? My dad was in the hospital about 3 weeks ago for heart issues and all of the little plastic parts of his IV system, sensors, hoses, and so on were from China or Korea. You think they are going to fill the US orders first as their countries suffer from the pandemic?
You globalists can look in the mirror for the blame for the lack of test kits.
even worse than that, a huge portion of our pharmaceuticals are now made in china too.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:00 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,661 times
The 4 Stages of Trump Deflection are below. Stage 4 is the topic of this thread. These 4 stages apply to many Trump issues. Often Stage 1 is all that takes place. Sometimes Stage 2 or 3 or 4 are necessary if Stage 1 doesnt cause the issue to go away. Coronavirus has already gone to Stage 4.

1) DENY. Trump denied that Coronavirus is a problem, called it a hoax. Feb 25, Tump said Corononivus positives would go down from 15 to zero.

2) BLAME THE MEDIA. Trump has blamed the media for causing a frenzy over Coronavirus.

3) BLAME THE DEMOCRATS. Trump and his camp blamed the Democrats for wanting Coronavirus to spread and kill millions of Americans in order to hurt Trump. Don Jr said this last week. Trump blamed Obama for CDC testing rules .

4) TRUMP CLAIMS VICTIMHOOD. This thread is a perfect example. Stage 1 through 3 above haven't worked, so now Trump claims he is the victim of political and media attacks and that he has done perfect but nobody will give him credit no matter how good he did.

Trump die hard supporters parrot Stage 1 through 4 excuses.

A new Stage 5 of Trump Deflection appears to be emerging. STAGE 5: Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to someone. Stage 5 hasn't been used that often, but was used yesterday.

Last edited by Variable; 03-11-2020 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-11-2020, 10:00 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
The *only* thing I'm worried about is the economic impact of this ridiculous panic. This is going to devastate certain industries and many are going to lose their jobs.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
@Three Wolves In Snow

I need to pick up some toilet paper after work. Not because I am scared or I need to stock up or whatever, but I'm legit running low and I need to get some. If I am not able to find any, because people are running around in little circles like their hair is on fire, buying it all up, I am going to be VERY annoyed.
No one had toilet paper, and I checked several stores last night. I ended up ordering some (overpriced, but not criminally so) on Amazon. We'll see if it actually gets delivered. We've got facial tissue and cheap paper towels and wet wipes to get us by otherwise. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I’m not coming down on you so don’t take my post that way.

OF COURSE people are selfish and only concerned about themselves and money. Showing up to work sick is nothing new. People have been exposing others to their sickness for ages. And let’s not forget those employers who make it next to impossible for the sick to stay the hell home.

“You get 5 days a year, no exceptions!”

I remember one lady when I worked for a cruise line (corporate), who was forced to come in for an entire week after using up her time, spreading her nastiness everywhere (in an office where we couldn’t open the windows, we got to breathe recycled air. That’s right, her sickness was recycled into the entire office building).

Her coughs were so deep and downright disgusting - and I mean everyone cringed every single time she went on yet another coughing fit (literally had one every 2-5 minutes all. day. long. for 8 fricken hours) that travel agents on the other end of the phone started complaining. ONLY then did the company work something out and allowed her to go home for as many days as she needed, according to her doctor.

It should not be a surprise that people will still go to work nor self quarantine. They haven’t done it with the flu, pneumonia, bronchitis, mono, etc. Why would they start now?

The reality is: Most people are selfish, and most pigs have better hygiene than most people. It’s time for people to face this.

Stop living like filthy pigs. Wash your damn hands, cover your GD mouth and nose when you sneeze and/or cough, but not with your fricken hands that you’re about to use to open a door, WASH YOUR FRICKEN HANDS FFS WASH THEM - appropriately. Running your hands under the faucet is not “appropriately”.

It’s ridiculous that grown adults have to be told this every damn year.

(All general ‘you’ not towards the poster quoted.)

When it's someone like a Doctor, as has come up in this thread, I expect them to know better. And to be able to take time off when sick. I'm fortunate that my company has a very generous sick leave policy, and they also added 5 new sick days to our benefits in January...which is kind of interesting, the timing, but whatever.

But the thing about many people going in to work when they're sick though, is it's a systemic thing. Most people cannot get by if they lose their jobs. It's not "no big deal" for them to be out of work for a few months to recover from an illness and then find a new job. People don't want to go hungry or be homeless, and I don't blame them. The United States is merciless against people perceived to not be "earning" the right to live. A job I worked for some time in my early adulthood, at a Wells Fargo location, had a policy that if you called in 6 times in a rolling 12-month period, you lost your job. No excuses, no exceptions. I had two small children. Little kids get sick all the damn time, and when that happened, I had no choice...no one else could watch them, you can't leave a child under 5 home alone... It was a serious struggle to stay on the right side of that policy. I went to work when I was sick. Because unlike when my kids were sick...I could. Is it "selfishness" that I wanted to keep my job, so that I could house and feed my children? Some who would say so, would also say I was a lazy good for nothing if I lost my job and dared to ask for public assistance.

We live in a country, and a world, where you can't SURVIVE without a source of income. And no one else is gonna give you one, if you don't work, that's just how it is for most people. If that's how it is, yeah, expect people to be "selfish."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
agreed

Emergency cash transfers are already happening in Hong Kong, where citizens have received the equivalent of $1,282, in an effort to keep both the economy and people alive. In response to a month of nationwide school closures in Japan, the government is paying out $80 per worker per day to help cover child care or the costs of staying home to parent. Other government payments could be conditional on taking sick leave—a sort of emergency national sick-leave policy, whereby your employer might simply have to verify that you did indeed miss work for two weeks.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...avirus/607759/

Could you imagine our government doing this? LOL I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems DC is on the same page that they must “ do something” to stimulate the economy and do it quickly.

Many Republicans and most Democrats do not favor a Payroll Tax freeze. It does not do anything for the self employed or those who do not have a sick time benefit and are unable to isolate. Then there’s the pesky matter of how to make up the shortfall.

If the Federal Government is into buying votes, why not an Andrew Young type Freedom Dividend, $x for everyone for x time. It’s a simple giveaway - no BS.
The real effect of what Trump proposed, to freeze "payroll taxes" (an evasive way of saying payments into Medicare and Social Security) is that money going to pay those benefits to people right now, will stop coming in. Which would then easily allow those programs to be bankrupted and ceased, which Trump has said he wanted to do anyways. Everyone with a job would see some extra cash in their paycheck, which a lot of people would go spend at Walmart and Amazon and other big businesses, perhaps stabilizing some sectors of Wall Street and ultimately filtering the money up, up, up to the rich. Meanwhile those at the bottom, especially old people who rely on Medicare and Social Security? Some, I guess, will have to move back in with family, which will more than wipe out the value of that payroll tax break, and others...who knows, I guess they get Darwin'ed off. Yeah, great move to make the old folks more vulnerable during the COVID-19 outbreak.

So essentially, that proposal...anyone who was touting it as a good idea is saying, "Meh, the virus, we don't care if people die, but we need to treat our investment fluctuations like an emergency and get you people more money to spend frivolously, like RIGHT AWAY!"

This "stimulus" would not help anyone who is sick, in particular those at risk of losing their jobs. Hard to get a break on your payroll taxes if you're fired for calling in to work.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The year is 2020. By now it it is fairly common knowledge that the elderly and frail are the most at risk in our society. If by now, after how many flu viruses, they don't have a clue, nothing the CDC could have said would have made a difference.

What's next warning women that those who don't use birth control or more at risk of getting pregnant?
Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. Some seem to have forgotten, or never learned it.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:02 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Trump doesn't care how big the deficits are when he finally leaves office, he just wants to get reelected in November.

Dems should tell him to go stuff it unless he cut military spending by an equivalent amount
That puts the Democrats in a position of being against tax cuts for every working American. Smart play by Trump in an election year.

Trump will campaign saying "I'm for more take home pay, and the Democrats want to take more of your paycheck away from you."

Also, the proposed payroll tax cuts benefit the low & medium income wage earners more than the rich.

The rich have more disposable income, while low to medium wage earners have little, or no, disposable income.

We keep reading that 40% of Americans can't come up with $1,000 in the event of an emergency.

Well, let households keep $395/month more (on average), & it could help them build a rainy day fund, or fund an IRA.

The rich keeping 7.65% more of their wages won't help them nearly as much. Most of them earn income as Dividends, not as earned income. Payroll taxes are not taken out of Dividends.

Trumps proposed payroll tax cuts benefit low to mid level wage earners the most. Trump should make the Dems turn this down so Americans will be at the Dems come election day.

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Dr Fauci testifying before Congress this morning: “Worst is yet to come”.

Shame on media for reporting, eh.
He lied! Trump said to calm down and this would soon be over.

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
No free money. Prepare yourself n your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies