Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 11:27 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
A political gesture? As in it’s a meaningless declaration? Please. That’s the type of thinking that got us into this predicament to begin with. How many coronavirus test have been completed here? And we’ve had months to prepare. It’s an unmitigated disaster.
As I heard Chris Martenson say, if facts alarm you, the problems isn't with the facts.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:28 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Simple question for you. How should government deal with the nations finances if we see widespread infection from corona virus and a large scale shut down of our economy? A lot of people aren't going to be able to work and therefore will run out of money in short order. Do we go to rationing essentials and suspend all "money transactions"? Do we hand out "porkulous" money or cut taxes to zero (which won't be enough anyway)?
Assuming large scale restrictions on physical mobility of people, the government should guarantee payments, including credit card or other credit system payments for essentials, such as mortgage payments, rent payments, utilities payments, insurance payments, health care payments and, yes, even tax payments.

Priority in the real economy should be given to ensuring safe corridors for food production and delivery, utilities production and delivery (water and electricity), medical equipment and services.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:29 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
Having guaranteed paid sick leave (or at least banning employers from firing employees for staying home when sick) would really help minimize the spread of the virus.

The workers who have the MOST contact with the general public are the LEAST likely to get paid sick leave from their employers. In fact, they're the likeliest to be forced to go to work sick, with threats of being fired if they stay home.

Most people stocking the grocery store and preparing your food in restaurants go to work while sick. And since they have constant contact with the public, they're the among the likeliest to get sick in the first place.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We know the deaths in Hubei, they are published by WHO. And we know they are leveling off. Same with Korea; both think they have passed the peak. I don't get anything from Trump, I don't trust him at all. But you can look at the numbers yourself and draw your own conclusion.
I am looking at numbers and listening to people who are knowledgeable about how pandemics work, especially this one. I'm not getting all my information from the CDC or WHO. We haven't seen anything yet. That is my conclusion. Others disagree of course.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:30 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Liberal Trump is following another Liberal President. One thing Obama had going for him is that it was based on economics.
How so?

Old 03-11-2020, 11:31 AM

7,811 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Wow.....wishing for another nations people to go back to starving......so that we can go back to gluttony. Its not proven that the virus organically originated in China. The greatest genetic diversity of the coronavirus, I have read ( I don't know that it is true) is the United States. You figure the rest out if that is true....and I am not saying that it is. It's just not proven that the virus developed in China. It seems to have spread from China, however. They could never find patient zero.

At this point....everybody is a suspect in regards to its origins.
Yeah, I’m sure the virus originated here and magically spread there first and waited 2 months to get here. The only way it originated here is that they stole it from a research facility and it got loose there. It’s a possibility, they’re always stealing **** they don’t understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneThornberg View Post
I didn't realize this "cut" is actually a cut to the SS programs?

That may change my thinking, as earlier I was defending it in my own ignorance. I'm a strong supporter for our president but to teeter with people's fixed incomes, that's a deal-breaker. Get rid of the deadbeats, not those elderly who've earned every cent of it. Although our biggest problems / expenses are with SS Fraud. I'd like to know what his vision is for that.
That's what payroll taxes go toward, SS and Medicare.

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump's payroll tax cut

a) is biased towards high income earners, and
b) undermines the financial well-being of Social Security and Medicare.

Congress is already derelict for kicking the can down the road and not shoring up financing Social Security and Medicare. Trump's tax holiday just adds more red ink to both these popular and critical programs.

It doesn't make sense to address a public health crisis by creating a funding crisis in Soc Sec and Medicare.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/20...us-crisis-push
oh yea... and its the same thing Obama did years ago and was considered really s m r t

geez

Old 03-11-2020, 11:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
We have no details yet right?

I jumped on board and then started hearing the rumors, ideas of what it would mean. This is a great campaign strategy, is it really an effective stimulus package. Effective doesn't just mean giving people more money, it means will it truly help the overall American economy and the residents without being too much of a financial burden on the country.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
All of sudden, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.
I suggested a nationwide 21 day quarantine last week and everyone jumped all over me saying I didn’t care about hungry people. But we could never do that here voluntarily. I have an ems friend who just told me people are refusing to answer the question of whether they have been out of the country or had contact with sick people. They’re saying, “I don’t have to answer that.” Way too much entitlement in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies