Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2021, 03:41 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You may be right.
But here in the USA we need to know more, and antibody levels don't pan out long enough. The vaccines we already know do about or at least the same duration as natural immunity. Longer term T cell testing IMO is where where need to be.
People that had SARS still are immune 17 yrs later. Covid is similar enough in structure that it is reasonable to expect the same immunity regarding length of time.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Are you asking because you think the virus is not causing harm in healthy people under 50?

Because here in Sydney where we have an outbreak of the Delta variant (only Delta, there are no other strains of the virus circulating in the community) - we are finding that is not at all the case.

Data from a few days ago - of 43 people in intensive care one was a teenager, seven were in their 20s, three were in their 30s, 14 were in their 50s, 12 were in their 60s and six were in their 70s.

For some perspective, there are about 2200 active cases of Covid.
Like in NZ, 143 cases in hospital, youngest was 19. And they were all double vaxed except one, who only had 1 vax shot.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
If people cannot get the vaccine they should stay at home or wear a N95 mask and a face shield. Its not my job to protect the world if they don't bother to protect themselves.
If you are vaxed, don't worry about the unvaxed. Unless you think your vax doesnt protect you from serious illness. If thats the case, why would anyone get it, and why would you expect them to get it, and risk adverse events/death, strokes, blood clots , paralysis, Gillain Barre, transverse myelitis?

Old 07-29-2021, 04:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
If you are vaxed, don't worry about the unvaxed. Unless you think your vax doesnt protect you from serious illness. If thats the case, why would anyone get it, and why would you expect them to get it, and risk adverse events/death, strokes, blood clots , paralysis, Gillain Barre, transverse myelitis?
I expect others to get it so we can return to normalcy. When we see wave after wave by a few months and things switch from normal to new normal again, that isn't a return to normalcy at all. If we want jobs to back to an equilibrium, we must want everyone vaccinated. This constant yo-yo state of every six months we see a rise in cause in most areas, isn't working.

Another reason is human compassion. I had a Cub Scouts Cub Master die of the virus. He was 60 something years old and I haven't seen him in like 20 years. I still felt for his family despite myself and mine never getting sick. I don't see how having compassion is a bad thing. I'm sure we didn't wish it on our worst enemy.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:08 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see how having compassion is a bad thing. I'm sure we didn't wish it on our worst enemy.
I don't either. It's amazing how vaccinated people are refusing to wear a mask to protect others, when the same people were selfless for them for a year.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Yes really. And you received your answer so I'm not sure why you persist. Whether you want to accept Israel's information is up to you. I'm bored with this at this point. If you don't want to put on a mask, don't. I've never seen so many temper tantrums over the last two days. The rules have changed and clearly there are a lot of people that would rather stomp their feet like a bunch of 5 year olds than be selfless
That wasn't the point but it is moot since you are replying to a post from hours ago. I think the problem is there is a sizable group that did what was right for the last year and 4 months and followed stay-at-home orders, masked up until the change in guidance and got their shot. All of this while their mental health change due to a drastic shock in their daily lives. Even if you didn't get the shot, you had this too. I have been selfless for too long, I'm just tired of yo-yoing because some idiot screams "Is my right" or some person listens to some partisan hack pundent talking about rare adverse effects from the shot like it is common place. The unvaccinated are punishing society at large, especially the vaccinated.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
I don't either. It's amazing how vaccinated people are refusing to wear a mask to protect others, when the same people were selfless for them for a year.
See my post below this one for my piece on it. I was typing it as you were replying to my previous post.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:10 AM

Quote:
I have been selfless for too long
And there you have it. I didn't know there was a statue of limitations on how long someone could be selfless. Sounds like a great solution. Whine and be defiant. Go ahead and flip off the 14 million people that are immunocompromised. And then we have the comorbidities. The 34 million people that have diabetes, and that 42% of the nation that are obese. And then there's children. Such a team player.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
And there you have it. I didn't know there was a statue of limitations on how long someone could be selfless. Sounds like a great solution. Whine and be defiant.
Well here is the thing, I'm not telling people who wear masks to take the damn things off like the Covid deniers did. If a store asks me to wear one, I hope I have one in the car. But I am just burnt out on it. Flying on a plane for five hours with a mask on, even with a strap to let your ears not have discomfort is not fun. Adding three or so hours for the airport, isn't either. I wore a mask at work for 182 days for the last school year (missed only three days.) I just don't know why more is being asked of me when others aren't willing to do their part and be a contributing member of society and just get a shot in the arm...

Old 07-29-2021, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Well here is the thing, I'm not telling people who wear masks to take the damn things off like the Covid deniers did. If a store asks me to wear one, I hope I have one in the car. But I am just burnt out on it. Flying on a plane for five hours with a mask on, even with a strap to let your ears not have discomfort is not fun. Adding three or so hours for the airport, isn't either. I wore a mask at work for 182 days for the last school year (missed only three days.) I just don't know why more is being asked of me when others aren't willing to do their part and be a contributing member of society and just get a shot in the arm...
Let me get my violin out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies