Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 10:34 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,308,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Scott Gottlieb who is the former FDA chief in the Trump admin says that he believes the US is seeing as many as a million new cases per day, but for various reasons that is not reflected in testing. He expects that this latest wave will pass by September.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/dr-s...a-spreads.html
so 90% of the Delta infections aren't even noted by the person infected? Just more of "you have to get tested to know whether you have it or not."

I'm not panning Gottlieb. He's generally a voice of reason in the middle. But he did say essentially the same thing < a week ago - that there might be LOT of undetected and asymptomatic infections.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Trumpi-Q's and "I don't trust the guv'ment" anti-vaxxers are stacking up like cordwood inside hospital morgues in some communities.

Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and parts of Florida are experiencing surges right now, as you read this. Hospitals are getting overwhelmed and that means accident victims and other emergencies are being impacted as well.

Maybe you don't care about THEM, but when they are cold in their graves and aren't voting in 2022 don't blame it on Dominion, Smartmatic or the Democrats.
there's apparently fewer of them today than even a month ago.

Missouri, cases have flattened and maybe declined.
Arkansas is surging in case and deaths are rising, but still below February.
Mississippi has surged for a month (cases back to Feb 1 levels), and barely any increase in deaths.

You're missing Louisiana, which has a huge surge in cases (higher than ANY other time)

Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Donald? ... Is that YOU?!

Your post reminds me of when diaper Don said "this is their new hoax", and “so far we have lost nobody to coronavirus,"

600,000 American deaths later, and more than two million dead around the world, you are playing that worn out old tune. You people in your hall of mirrors and echo chambers with your wild imaginations are helping kill people.

The rest of us serious minded citizens are thoroughly tired of your collective nonsense.
Trump's comment was the Democratic criticism of him handling covid "is their new hoax." I guess you don't remember when NY Democrat Chucklehead Schumer said Trump was exaggerating the covid problem because he's racist (when Trump wanted to ban travel to U.S.) Just imagine the number of deaths if the Democrats were in charge then, and how many deaths won't be attributed to Biden's illegal aliens that should be right now.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:49 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
How many illegals are going to buy N95 masks or any mask to save U.S. residents from the Delta variant they are spreading...none of them!

And that has to do what with what? Get your dang shots!

Old 07-30-2021, 10:51 AM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This whole thing is complete BS.. everyone deep down in their guts knows it too.
Yep, the medical professionals nationwide are all in a conspiracy to make you wear a mask in Wal-Mart. It is of massive benefit to them. Somehow.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Maybe you don't care about THEM...
At this point I'm sort of done. No vaccine? No heroic measures. Someone else can use that ICU bed.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
At this point after all the leftists have put the country through I don’t care how contagious it is or who gets the new rona. No lockdowns, no masks no more. If the vaccine does not work stop using it. This also means they have no plan other than more lockdowns. I don’t care how scared the hand wringers are, I don’t care. No more. We let nature do what it is going to do. Of course it’s not really “nature” is it. More like a CCP created disease run wild.
the vaccine DOES work.

It is absolutely possible to catch Covid after vaccination - that's the 95%, that's the breakthrough cases.

The data shows them that vaccinated cases are FAR less (like 20X) likely to be hospitalized and even further less likely to die.

They knew in the fall that a LOT of the old and the immuno-compromised saw real reductions in post-Covid infection antibodies. That's part of getting old and being compromised. There's no reason to think the Vax was a magic bullet and would perform THAT differently from antibodies.

And so of course they are seeing the old and the compromised have antibodies wane and thus the protection wane over time. This is no surprise, even if they don't state it that way. There's no claim that Delta causes the old and infirmed (or the young/healthy with strong and consistent antibodies) to lose antibodies faster.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:58 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I'm afraid that will be necessary, looking at the upsurge in cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Even the areas that don't have severe transmission today are beginning to be affected by nearby hot spots.

Covid is horrific, Delta or otherwise. Have a co-worker here in the "large engineering enterprise" that I work for who was infected a few weeks ago. It was shocking to all of us as he is young and fit. His whole family (all un-vaccinated) got it as well but he ended up with the severe disease - in the hospital on a vent and the outcome looks grim. His suffering is hard to even grasp - seems clear he will either die or survive it with long term lung and throat damage.

We can have word play all day here and elsewhere about this but make no mistake, this virus is relentless and it can affect you and yours in terrible ways, especially if you are not vaccinated. This is reality.
I'm sorry for your co-worker. I lost a dear friend/colleague in Feb. She was 64 and no co-morbidities. Very sad.

I am vaccinated and my husband is vaccinated. He has bone marrow cancer so we're not playing around. I understand that Covid can be horrific in some instances.

Do you believe that if you were exposed that you would die, even with the vaccine?
Do you believe that all unvaccinated people will die if they get it?
Do you believe more people have died than have been reported?

Masks, lockdowns, and distancing have not proved to be the most effective of measures in my opinion, but they are tools that can be used to mitigate the outbreak. The vaccine is another such tool.

There are too many unknowns about this virus; there have been too many flip flops over methods of easing the rates of infection and deaths.

I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in this stressful time. More information and transparency from health organizations, pharmaceutical companies, and the government would go a long way in easing the uncertainty, and in some cases, fear. The more informed people are, the less they are going to reject out of hand the recommendations coming from the experts.

Just tell the people the truth; we can handle it.

Last edited by lizjo; 07-30-2021 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 07-30-2021, 11:00 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And that has to do what with what? Get your dang shots!
Why should I get vaccinated with experimental mRNA gene therapy and put myself at risk for unknown long term side effects?
The news is reporting the vaccinated are just as l likely to spread Delta variant as the unvaccinated. DiBlasio wants all NYC city restaurants to ban customers who aren't vaccinated to punish the unvaccinated from doing enjoyable things so they get vaccinated, it has nothing to do with transmission. And who in turn will be hurt, not me, the restaurant owners. I'll stay in until Biden's anti-viral pill is available next year from big pharma.
The news is just reporting the death rate from covid in NYC is three a week on average, and half the place is unvaccinated!

Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Just tell the people the truth; we can handle it.
I used to think so, but after this brouhaha - the scales have fallen from my eyes.

A considerable subset of people will grasp any comforting lie over an unpleasant truth, particularly if it suits their preconceived notions and their self-interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies