Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 09:07 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
If I need to take a shot every 8 months, which is not yet determined, I will. Plenty of people take medicines daily that have far more side effects than the vaccine.
You definitely want to be genetically modified, don't you.

Genetically wrinkled for a dressed-down look, to fit in.

Just get yourself some baggy pants.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-19-2021 at 09:46 AM..

Old 08-19-2021, 09:14 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
As Delta surges in Florida, DeSantis is focused on battling Biden

WASHINGTON — President Biden, plainspoken son of Scranton, and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, the endlessly ambitious, staunchly conservative Ivy Leaguer, were probably never going to be the best of friends. A loyal adherent of Donald Trump, DeSantis sided with the outgoing president’s baseless claims that last year’s election was stolen. For the first several months of the new administration, Biden and DeSantis kept their distance.

That changed with the arrival of the Delta variant, which has hit Florida far harder than any other state. The governor and the president spent the first half of August locked in a feud over how to properly respond to the new surge, most pointedly when it comes to masking in schools.

The battle represents two differing approaches to the pandemic. Biden won the presidency by promising to handle the coronavirus with a science-first consistency that Trump never truly tried; DeSantis is the standard-bearer for a widespread conservative conviction that Trump was fundamentally correct about resisting lockdowns, mask mandates and school closures.

In the balance are thousands of lives, in Florida and other states. Many conservative governors have adopted DeSantis’s approach, prohibiting masks in schools, doing little to encourage vaccination and generally seeing the pandemic as having run its course, since vaccines — and masks — are available to anyone who wants them. Biden represents those who believe the pandemic will only ever end with a show of collective responsibility, whether by asking students to don masks for one more year or by cajoling the unvaccinated to roll up their sleeves.

https://www.aol.com/delta-surges-flo...090028145.html

Old 08-19-2021, 09:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Welcome back to school, y’all.

“More than 5,000 students in one Florida school district are in COVID-19-related isolation or quarantine, the school district said this week.”

https://www.foxnews.com/us/covid-flo...ion-quarantine

“After just four days of school, more than 1,000 Nashville students and staff are currently in quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19.”

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...id/8145338002/

“An Oklahoma City middle school teacher tested positive for COVID-19, prompting school officials to ask all 8th grade students at the school to quarantine at home.”

https://kfor.com/news/local/all-8th-...-for-covid-19/

“About 20,000 Mississippi students in quarantine for COVID-19 exposure, health official says”

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ne/8171250002/

Old 08-19-2021, 09:49 AM

1,969 posts, read 676,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
As Delta surges in Florida, DeSantis is focused on battling Biden

WASHINGTON — President Biden, plainspoken son of Scranton, and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, the endlessly ambitious, staunchly conservative Ivy Leaguer, were probably never going to be the best of friends. A loyal adherent of Donald Trump, DeSantis sided with the outgoing president’s baseless claims that last year’s election was stolen. For the first several months of the new administration, Biden and DeSantis kept their distance.

That changed with the arrival of the Delta variant, which has hit Florida far harder than any other state. The governor and the president spent the first half of August locked in a feud over how to properly respond to the new surge, most pointedly when it comes to masking in schools.

The battle represents two differing approaches to the pandemic. Biden won the presidency by promising to handle the coronavirus with a science-first consistency that Trump never truly tried; DeSantis is the standard-bearer for a widespread conservative conviction that Trump was fundamentally correct about resisting lockdowns, mask mandates and school closures.

In the balance are thousands of lives, in Florida and other states. Many conservative governors have adopted DeSantis’s approach, prohibiting masks in schools, doing little to encourage vaccination and generally seeing the pandemic as having run its course, since vaccines — and masks — are available to anyone who wants them. Biden represents those who believe the pandemic will only ever end with a show of collective responsibility, whether by asking students to don masks for one more year or by cajoling the unvaccinated to roll up their sleeves.

https://www.aol.com/delta-surges-flo...090028145.html
The media lies to you. If you don't start here, you're lost.
Coronavirus News/Updates  MERGED-inf2020.png

Do you see a pattern there? No?

Let's look at the top 5 infection fatality rate states:
State - Cases - Deaths - Inf-Fat
MA - 690,095 - 18,555 - 2.689%
NJ - 1,064,332 - 26,721 - 2.511%
NY - 2,211,095 - 53,519 - 2.420%
CT - 363,597 - 8,313 - 2.286%
PA - 1,258,774 - 28,027 - 2.227%

Notice a pattern there? No? OK let's look at the lowest infection fatality rate states:

HI - 50,185 - 549 - 1.094%
ID - 209,812 - 2,257 - 1.076%
VT - 26,380 - 264 - 1.001%
UT - 446,432 - 2,515 - 0.563%
AK - 80,028 - 394 - 0.492%

Do you know where FL ranks?

Spoiler
37th

Old 08-19-2021, 10:02 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
The media lies to you. If you don't start here, you're lost.
Attachment 231292

Do you see a pattern there? No?

Let's look at the top 5 infection fatality rate states:
MA - 690,095 - 18,555 - 2.689%
NJ - 1,064,332 - 26,721 - 2.511%
NY - 2,211,095 - 53,519 - 2.420%
CT - 363,597 - 8,313 - 2.286%
PA - 1,258,774 - 28,027 - 2.227%

Notice a pattern there? No? OK let's look at the lowest infection fatality rate states:

HI - 50,185 - 549 - 1.094%
ID - 209,812 - 2,257 - 1.076%
VT - 26,380 - 264 - 1.001%
UT - 446,432 - 2,515 - 0.563%
AK - 80,028 - 394 - 0.492%

Do you know where FL ranks?

Spoiler
37th

And don't forget the couple of "mistakes" that the CDC made when reporting the TX & FL data.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ing-cases.html

https://www.foxnews.com/media/texas-...ized-covid.amp

Old 08-19-2021, 10:03 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
No, I'm just saying that it just shouldn't have went that far. Vaccine mandates weren't even considered when these vaccines first came out. It's crazy because the vaccines are the key to a brighter future and to get the world finally back to normal. You would think everyone would be running to get it, which seemed to be the case in the beginning. But then the last couple of months, demand seemed to drag, which was quite puzzling.

So what I'm saying is, people should WANT the vaccine and not have to be forced to get it. Why no one would want it is beyond me?
OMG, because some people have a history of bad reactions. My son has been paralyzed with GBS, my daughter gets blood clots. My daughter took it anyway, work group pressure, she had myocarditis and is now fighting high blood pressure.

I'm going to add this, I hope everyone who is vaccinated already is testing regularly plus not going out when slightly sick. A vaccinated couple with the sniffles infected 12 of my close friends, 3 are still in the hospital, 2 have been released. These were all super healthy people, none overweight or diabetic, who have had to work throughout the pandemic. My friends were able to stay healthy all this time, and wow, it is unbelievable how severely sick they all got. We are all reeling in shock.

It's no wonder that the vaccinated were told to put their masks back on.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:13 AM

1,969 posts, read 676,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
And don't forget the couple of "mistakes" that the CDC made when reporting the TX & FL data.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ing-cases.html

https://www.foxnews.com/media/texas-...ized-covid.amp
It get's even worse. If you load at fatalities per cap:
FL is 28th with it's aging population. PA barely squeaks out of the top 10 but the usual suspects are there.
Texas is 23rd in infection fatality and 26th in deaths per cap.

Given what FL has to work with, DeSantis is a freaking genius so far.

So why is the media talking about Florida? We should obviously be taking Covid seriously but that's not what the media is doing. That's not what the politicians (like Obama and his super-spreader event) are doing.

And people are willing to give up their freedoms for this? To dance on the graves of the people they disagree with for this?

Old 08-19-2021, 10:19 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,410,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
A vaccinated couple with the sniffles infected 12 of my close friends, 3 are still in the hospital, 2 have been released.

Dr. Fauci said it's very rare for breakthrough infections to occur. So I guess your case is one of those very rare instances.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:03 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OMG, because some people have a history of bad reactions. My son has been paralyzed with GBS, my daughter gets blood clots. My daughter took it anyway, work group pressure, she had myocarditis and is now fighting high blood pressure.

I'm going to add this, I hope everyone who is vaccinated already is testing regularly plus not going out when slightly sick. A vaccinated couple with the sniffles infected 12 of my close friends, 3 are still in the hospital, 2 have been released. These were all super healthy people, none overweight or diabetic, who have had to work throughout the pandemic. My friends were able to stay healthy all this time, and wow, it is unbelievable how severely sick they all got. We are all reeling in shock.

It's no wonder that the vaccinated were told to put their masks back on.
And you know this how exactly?

Old 08-19-2021, 11:41 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So was J&J yet J&J is holding up just fine against Delta. Also, J&J efficacy isn't waning...still 89% after 8 months.
The mRNA vaccines only seem good for 6 months and then your immunity drops big time.
Different endpoints (what's being measured) used from the first for J&J than the other vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AZ). The primary endpoint for the large population study in South Africa was death. The data were:

Death = 91% to 96.2% protection
Hospitalization for Beta (S. African variant) = 67% protection
Hospitalization for Delta = 71% protection.
https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...ys-2021-08-06/

The primary endpoint for the original J&J trials was moderate to severe infection. The mRNA vaccines continue to provide close to original protection against severe disease and death, although there has been an uptick in hospitalizations for the elderly who were vaccinated first. What's fallen is the vaccine ability to prevent symptomatic breakthroughs + asymptomatic cases. Cellular immunity does not appear to "drop big time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
What are you people hearing about the 3rd vaccine?
There was a tweet yesterday (cannot again locate) providing preliminary data from one of the large Israeli-HMOs. The booster resulted in an efficacy of 85% against Delta. Assume the end-point was the original, one mild symptom (at least) + positive PCR.

For comparison
:
Efficacy against original covid + B.117 (alpha) = around 95%
Efficacy against delta = around 85%
Net loss = perhaps 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Do you know why our government said 8 months when Pfizer said 6 months ?
Honest question because I couldn't find where reasoned out their "8" months.
The other countries giving boosters are following Pfizer's advice...after 6 months.
Pfizer has been monitoring the neutralizing antibody levels (nAbs). nAbs "neutralize" the virus, preventing it from entering cells thereby increasing the vaccines ability to prevent spread. They have fallen, which results in more cases. At which point, other immunities kick in to help the body fight the infection.

6 months may well be the point where there is a substantial drop-off in nAbs.

Many U.S. scientists not to mention WHO are opposed to boosting at 8 months believing the endpoint in the real world for dealing with the pandemic at this time should be severe disease and hospitalization. The mRNA + AZ vaccines remain plenty good for that, goes the argument (and the data). Vaccines instead should be sent to the Third World if only to minimize the potential for more problematic mutation.

When and whom to boost is a complicated question with different answers depending on policy goals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies