Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2021, 11:55 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
This post of mine is a "post opened specifically to address a poster." This post is also not an attack.

The poster who you are referring to, simply re-posted some of your very own responses.

That's it.
You are replying to my post. The poster in question opened a post specifically for trolling purposes against a specific poster. Trolling is specifically prohibited in these forums.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:57 AM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
You are replying to my post. The poster in question opened a post specifically for trolling purposes against a specific poster. Trolling is specifically prohibited in these forums.
Apparently I have thicker skin.

Sorry that post made you feel attacked.

Old 08-29-2021, 11:59 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Anyone who is obese or significantly overweight has no business preaching about Covid. Anyone seen Hillary lately? She's not been hitting the treadmill. I'd be surprised if she hasn't developed some weight related health issues putting her at higher risk for Covid complications, vaccinated or not.
And Pritzker from Illinois. He has the nerve to mandate everything, when someone needs to mandate a diet for him.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:00 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
It only becomes an issue when a person who has chosen to be more careful about the virus INSISTS that others do the same, to the point where they are freaking out if their neighbor has one too many relatives over for Thanksgiving or that a person not wearing a mask at a store is trying to "kill" people.

The hysteria over this virus and the feeling that some people have been using the virus as an excuse to milk the system does not help.

Get the vaccine or not. Mask up in crowds or not. I'll do what is right for me and you should do the same.
And that egocentric attitude is what's causing so many hospitilizations and deaths.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:03 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
And Pritzker from Illinois. He has the nerve to mandate everything, when someone needs to mandate a diet for him.
Lmao

Fun fact about Prickster, he removed toilets in a home so his real estate taxes would go down.

He is the epitome of “rules for thee but not for me”.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:06 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Love the authority argument. “Because of my education, you shall listen to me or I’m more correct because of my degree”.

Our free society, and science community, thrives on counter discussion, no matter what the topic. This is the basis for “defending your thesis” in a master’s program. A panel tries to ensure the hypothesis can be defended and the facts pass a rigorous process to “earn” a brand of legitimacy.

Who establishes the standard of “uneducated opinions”? Is there a board of elites? Roman counsel? Moral authority is even better. Expand a “restriction on ideas” to school boards. “Only those with an education degree may speak and they need to agree with the board’s ideas.”

Couple questions….
Why did the CDC stop tracking breakthrough cases? How hard is to simply ask every covid positive person if they’ve been vaccinated?

Do those that already had covid have enough antibodies to prevent covid and if so, how long does natural antibodies last?

Why haven’t there been studies to determine “mask effectiveness“? Any reason solo drivers need to mask up? Remember those of us vaccinated were “mask free” until Independence Day, ironically….
That demonstration on the news way back last year showing the spray from a person's mouth while speaking with a mask on vs. the spray from a person's mouth speaking without a mask on highlighted with blacklight and photographed in the dark was pretty much straight-up common sense to me.

Yes, of course, this is where someone leaps up waving their arms wildly screaming that it was probably trick photography and part of the plot by the Deep State...

Old 08-29-2021, 12:14 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
And that egocentric attitude is what's causing so many hospitilizations and deaths.
Well, we tried the "We're in this together" charade for the past year and a half and it failed miserably. Time to try something else.

Govt: Wear a mask
Me: Why should I? What's in it for me?
Govt: *Crickets*

Psychologically, self-interest is the most effective motivator, bar none. If people have something to gain from doing something, they'll do it, mandate or not. That's why capitalism has created more aggregate wealth than any other economic system in history.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:16 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Rev. Sharpton just mentioned that there are over 100,000 people in the U.S. hospitalised with COVID--more than last January. And other sources report that 90-94% of these folks are unvaccinated. Two issues:

1. I think I may understand why many people are so dismissive about the dangers associated with the virus; being calm is better than running around with your hair on fire. It won't serve any purpose to frighten others, particularly children. And yet, facing unpleasant facts is a requirement of maturity. Some people like to think it's all a hoax--because they can't deal with it?

2. My second psychological inquiry, closely related to the first, is why anybody would refuse to get vaccinated. I can't pretend to understand that.

A lot of folks in hospital, desperately ill with COVID, are reportedly saying they were mistaken and foolish for not having gotten the vaccination (now that it's too late).
Denial. We all have it, to some degree, in different areas of life. Our "blind spots." They usually contribute to our down fall in that particular area.

Vaccination is more complex. Some people like more "natural" ways of preventing disease, treatments, etc. Some worry about long term effects.
I get this, but w/ a pandemic, I think vaccines are certainly appropriate and desired, esp. since it's very possible to have a bad covid outcome including hospitalization, long term covid or even death.
My thoughts.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:18 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Why haven’t there been studies to determine “mask effectiveness“?.
We are on the internet--if you type "COVID mask effectiveness studies" into Google Scholar, dozens of articles come up.

Old 08-29-2021, 12:26 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Apparently I have thicker skin.

Sorry that post made you feel attacked.
It has to do with following forum guidelines, not feelings. Last time I checked all posters should be following these guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies