Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 AM

11,098 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

We simply don't all think alike / the same. That should be enormously obvious.

With vaccinations, some people are gung-ho about them, some are scared to death of them, and some highly skeptical and think they cause more problems than help.

We also vary widely in our exposure to "news" / media. Some people are totally engrossed - minute by minute - in whatever the media is promoting or babbling about. And these listeners / puppets tend to react accordingly. While others avoid all of that, and do their research in a more roundabout way, on their own terms. These tend to be people who think for themselves, and don't follow whatever the herd is doing.

In the end, it's about freedom. We don't force / regulate these things, so they are part of how this country functions. If you want everybody to do everything the same - especially in response to the media and government - you need to find a different country.

Instead of being 'nonchalant' about COVID, how about asking "Why are people so nonchalant about always following the crowd, robotically?"

Old 08-30-2021, 11:13 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Spot on posting, mainstream media has become akin to the old National Enquirer.
There's been some comments about false information implying some of my posts have been giving such. Would love to know where these folks come by their sources of "truth". I can guarantee that it is not as such.

My information comes from the heath organization by whom I am employed. They claim to follow information provided by the CDC. It also matches what I've learned from pharmacy school. And what is factual from that source of information is this: healthy people are not likely to die from the covid virus. They may surely get sick, but their functioning immune systems will most likely overcome the infection and they will recover with no complications. Anyone telling you otherwise does not have factual information and is talking from out their behind. And yes, some in fact do die. People die unexpectedly everyday with nothing obviously wrong with them (to clarify--for example, you would expect them to recover from what appears to be a bad cold, but they unexpectedly die from it). It is a sad fact of life.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:26 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
There's been some comments about false information implying some of my posts have been giving such. Would love to know where these folks come by their sources of "truth". I can guarantee that it is not as such.

My information comes from the heath organization by whom I am employed. They claim to follow information provided by the CDC. It also matches what I've learned from pharmacy school. And what is factual from that source of information is this: healthy people are not likely to die from the covid virus. They may surely get sick, but their functioning immune systems will most likely overcome the infection and they will recover with no complications. Anyone telling you otherwise does not have factual information and is talking from out their behind. And yes, some in fact do die. People die unexpectedly everyday with nothing obviously wrong with them (to clarify--for example, you would expect them to recover from what appears to be a bad cold, but they unexpectedly die from it). It is a sad fact of life.

This is the first I've read of your postings, and what you say I agree with.
The problem with every crises is the same, there are those who take advantage of it; and those who discount the crises b/c it's being taken advantage of.
However, I had some healthy fears on being vaccinated; as I don't get vaccinated for anything.
As I feel my healthy diet, daily exercise, low weight, and low stress career are enough.
So I'm really on the fence with a booster, due in December; seeing as they don't protect others from me being asymptomatic and spreading it.
This was the reason I got vaccinated, to protect others; then things changed.
This crises being mishandled from day 1 is another reason many are non-chalant; per thread title.
Many Americans had a cutoff date on this, 1 year; which passed last Spring.
To have a Covid pandemic last as long as the Spanish flu, some 100 years ago; makes it appear no progress has been made in a century.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:51 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup. I need look no further than my younger sister. She had eight weeks in the hospital from March to May, during several of which she was on a vent and was not expected to survive. She will have surgery on her ulnar nerve in a couple of weeks because she still has no feeling in two fingers on her left hand. She is expected to go back to work in a week, but she is a programmer who does not have full use of one hand, so that's a problem.
Wow, sorry. Serious stuff. Hope she fully recovers.

Old 08-30-2021, 11:53 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Thanks for proving that I didn't say it.
The Internet doesn't lie. You said it.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:15 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have had profound personal relationship changes due to the pandemic its tough and we will never get those years back. I am not a kid either and as you get older each new year seems more important not knowing how many more you may have. Perhaps some good will come from all of this. In the past we got whacked quite often with wars and disease. What does not kill you makes you stronger I suppose. Sure we had 9/11 but if you were outside of where the planes crashed it was surreal but not real like this pandemic which effects everyone in the world. Perhaps we will be a little stronger, a little tougher. Decades of relative prosperity has probably made us soft.

And those who don't think the virus is a big deal. Perhaps a coping mechanism. If one refuses to accept its really happening then in their mind it can't harm them.
That is true. I was directly affected by 9/11, but I've thought how in subsequent tragedies, like Katrina or earthquakes that devastated other parts of the world or even the wildfires out west, I was removed from it and it seemed distant, and I understood that's why 9/11 didn't affect everyone equally. This thing is affecting everyone worldwide.

We really are a pampered bunch in the first world, aren't we?

Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
The Internet doesn't lie. You said it.
You're right - the internet doesn't lie: I never said that I didn't care about what others post.

And you proved that by providing the quote on what I did say.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Wow, sorry. Serious stuff. Hope she fully recovers.
Thanks, I just talked to her. She's going back to work next week, remotely, and she sounded kind of excited about it.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:22 PM

703 posts, read 446,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Hasn't that been true since Day 1?

The news is that the vaccinated are now also getting Covid, spreading it and sometimes getting hospitalized and dying.

I don't think it's been suggested that vaccinated people don't get covid - they just don't get seriously ill and hospitalized.
I watched a man on TV yesterday who had refused the vaccine, caught covid and before he ultimately died

was saying to people 'get vaccinated'
That's what all the anti-vaxxers on here would say if they found themselves fighting for breath in hospital.
The case for vaccination is overwhelmingly proven. Anti-vaxxers immerse themselves in selective crap they find on the internet to support their existing ill founded opinions.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:24 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
You're right - the internet doesn't lie: I never said that I didn't care about what others post.

And you proved that by providing the quote on what I did say.
It's exactly what you said: Once again so you don't forget:

Also, fwiw, I don't care what other posters do, we have mods for that. I worry about myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies