Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 07:50 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The good news here in Oz is that they’ve done a study in Delta and it’s transmission in schools and between school children/adults/each other.

They’ve concluded that transmission rates are 5x higher than previously, and that there is a problem in kids carrying Delta back to their households - but that Delta does not pose a significant threat to kids, most having minor or no symptoms at all.

It’s pretty interesting:

https://www.ncirs.org.au/sites/defau...2021_Final.pdf

Face to face learning will resume in New South Wales from Oct 25, sooner in some areas with low community transmission of the virus, so good to know conclusively that kids are still ok.
frankly, you provided a very long amount of quoting that told us kids are at low risk of catching or spreading Covid.

Quote:
Between 16 June 2021 and 19 August 2021, there were 10,782 COVID-19 notifications in NSW (population 8.1 million). Of these, 2,864 (27%) were among those aged 0 to ≤18 years. The majority of children (98%) had asymptomatic or mild infection.
in 2 months, 0.13% of residents that were children got Covid. Of those children, 98% had mild/asymptomatic infection.

Quote:
106 secondary cases (69 students and 37 staff members) occurred in 19 of the 51 educational settings (37%; 3 primary schools and 16 ECEC services), resulting in a secondary attack rate of 4.7%. The highest transmission rate occurred in ECEC services between staff members (16.9%).
the children weren't the primary source of spread. the staff was.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:05 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
frankly, you provided a very long amount of quoting that told us kids are at low risk of catching or spreading Covid.

in 2 months, 0.13% of residents that were children got Covid. Of those children, 98% had mild/asymptomatic infection.

the children weren't the primary source of spread. the staff was.
Yes, that’s right. The children are also not spreading it amongst each other either.

Which is good news.

That’s what I was saying.

I wasn’t arguing with you I was backing you up.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:05 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Good point. The single most critical factor that has made this virus so bad is the asymptomatic transmission, which essentially renders moot most of our traditional containment methods such as isolating the sick and contact tracing. So we have taken the worst feature of this virus and magnified it.
No it's being overweight/obese. The majority of covid deaths (85%) were overweight/obese and that is per the CDC.

Covid doesn't care about "body positive" movement.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:10 PM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
No it's being overweight/obese. The majority of covid deaths (85%) were overweight/obese and that is per the CDC.

The majority of people in the US are overweight/obese.

Overweight isn’t a particularly high bar, either. Lots of people who we would consider normal weight by today’s standard are technically overweight by BMI measuring criteria.

So basically most of America is at risk. I think it’s around 73% of people classified as overweight/obese.

That’s including children into the equation. The adult population on its own is probably higher in percentage.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:06 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:

It's the asymptomatic transmission that has made covid impossible to contain. If contained, the obese wouldn't be dying in such large numbers because they wouldn't be getting it in such large numbers. The asymptomatic transmission is the root cause which leads to the covid deaths.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:22 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:

This is a false statement. Obesity is not the sole driver of COVID. OpenSAFELY, a study of 17 million people in England, looked at risk of death from COVID.

It found only a 1.92 increased risk from class III obesity, that is, a BMI over 40. Which is extremely obese.

And what about less severe obesity?

Among 17 million people, class I obesity (BMI 30-35) shows no increased risk above normal weight (BMI 20-25).

In fact if you look at Figure 3, you will see that virtually every comorbidity results in a comparable or larger increase in risk than even having a BMI of 35-40.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2521-4

I'm not saying obesity is not a risk factor. It is an important risk factor but to say it is the sole driver is overstating and is distorting people's view on the role of obesity in COVID.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:26 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
I hope LOTS of "Covid-worried" people read that article ... it seems to be a strong confluence between them and CNN readership ... because it says what has been obvious for 16 months now.
I still worry about Covid, especially for the unvaccinated, more so than for the vaxxed.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:30 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It just uses a different method than the others to deliver the genetic instructions.
It's a little more than that.

mRNA actually sends genetic instructions telling the body what to do. A carrier vaccine (J&J) actually delivers a spike protein from the virus so that the body can decide what to do (ie.... make antibodies). It works just like the flu vaccine.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 675,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's the asymptomatic transmission that has made covid impossible to contain. If contained, the obese wouldn't be dying in such large numbers because they wouldn't be getting it in such large numbers. The asymptomatic transmission is the root cause which leads to the covid deaths.
Yeah we really needed 45 days to slow the spread but it was a a foolish strategy to begin with since people need to buy groceries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It's a little more than that.

mRNA actually sends genetic instructions telling the body what to do. A carrier vaccine (J&J) actually delivers a spike protein from the virus so that the body can decide what to do (ie.... make antibodies). It works just like the flu vaccine.
This appears to be case. People under 40 should ONLY take the J&J if they have to take the jab for some reason.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:57 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,306,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, that’s right. The children are also not spreading it amongst each other either.

Which is good news.

That’s what I was saying.

I wasn’t arguing with you I was backing you up.
yes, I just wanted to summarize for those who have trouble reading long passages of info

And what that info says is, once again, we are expending financial, physical, and mostly emotional effort where it is not needed, and not doing so where it is - the aged and the infirmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies