Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 09:00 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
That is a fact not often talked about. Kudos. In Appalachia they convert their food stamps into easily sellable product with soda being one of, if not the most common. West Virginia is almost 40% obese and almost 97% white so it’s not minorities. The study says the non-Hispanic White obesity rate is over 42%.
The fact is Hispanics and Blacks also have a high obesity rate, higher then white non-Hispanics. Actually black women is the highest of all.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:03 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you really think that these people that don't have easy access to a good supermarket are going to grow their own food when they can buy at fast food restaurant for a few dollars.

I don't see this as a partisan issue there are obese Americans of every category driving up health care cost and becoming a burden to all. But you're worried about the demographic breakdown because that's important to you.
That's because you're not looking at the data. If we can understand why members of a certain politically-affiliated group are extreme outliers (much higher than average users) in regards to Food Stamp enrollment and therefore its correlated subsequent high obesity rates, we might be able to find ways to encourage behavior changes that would improve their health so they would become less of a cost burden on society.

It's not just a north/south, rural/urban issue. Like I said, inner-cities have the highest poverty rates along with high population densities regardless of geographic location, and they also much more likely than not vote heavily Dem.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:11 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
If we all gave up sugary drinks, foods with high fructose corn syrup, passed by the fast food and the junk aisles in the grocery store--and yes, as terrible as it may sound--only had pizza and fries and wings and ice cream on the rare occasion--

--and ate boatloads more vegetables, much of our obesity epidemic would end.

But we're not gonna do it are we?

Most of us anyhow.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's because you're not looking at the data. If we can understand why members of a certain politically-affiliated group are extreme outliers (much higher than average users) in regards to Food Stamp enrollment and therefore its correlated subsequent high obesity rates, we might be able to find ways to encourage behavior changes that would improve their health so they would become less of a cost burden on society.

It's not just a north/south, rural/urban issue. Like I said, inner-cities have the highest poverty rates along with high population densities regardless of geographic location, and they also much more likely than not vote heavily Dem.
Here are the highest obesity states and not even one of them is a blue state. Not one. They are all Republican. And West Virginia, the highest, is also the whitest. This silly argument that "the Democrats are the fat ones!" simply isn't true as the data shows. The culture in red states is very fattening, often fried food. Poverty is another issue, but I watched a breakfast cooked in a diner in Texas where the cook fried bacon in butter. The culture in blue states tend to be that of healthier foods and a healthier lifestyle, which is often ridiculed by the right. Look at our last Democratic president and look at the current one.

West Virginia (38.1 percent)
Mississippi (37.3 percent)
Oklahoma (36.5 percent)
Iowa (36.4 percent)
Alabama (36.3 percent)
Louisiana (36.2 percent)
Arkansas (35 percent)
Kentucky (34.3 percent)
Alaska (34.2 percent)
South Carolina (34.1 percent)
https://www.foxnews.com/health/most-obese-states-in-us

Last edited by Seacove; 02-29-2020 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
And go into a store anywhere in the region. The first thing you see when you walk in the door is crappy food/drink choices. The retailers know their target market.

Yeah, Informed_Consent makes the good point on pricing, but that cheaper chicken breast alternative is all the way at the back of the store, buried under something, while the soda and chips smack you in the face when you walk in the door.

I am not excusing personal behavior here, because the fact is, that chicken breast alternative IS THERE and you can choose to go find it. But again, human nature will gravitate towards the choices most prominently offered. Put 100 virtuous men in the nicest brothel in the world, each with a bag of money. I'll bet dimes to donuts that some number of them will fail their next virtue test. They don't have to, but paraphrasing Chris Rock, people are generally only as pure/virtuous as their available choices allow for.
Yes--and no.

We are being marketed to to choose junk foods--foods with a high profit margin.

But you can educate yourself as to healthy choices and pass by the crappy foods. Turn a blind eye to the aisles and displays of junk foods.

I see many grocery shoppers doing just this. They are the ones who are not obese.

Is nutrition being taught in schools these days?

I don't know. It should be.

Parents can be huge influencers in the home. So the twig is bent, so grows the tree.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:18 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
To be fair, this appears to be based on the BMI, which is a fundamentally flawed way to determine obesity.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Why focus on just Appalachia?
Because if I focus on urban ghettos or any place not predominantly white, the SJW idiots will deflect by calling me racist. I use Appalachia because it's the whitest example of poverty, fubar culture and bad choices available. Just keeps SJWs on point.
Quote:
Furthermore, Appalachian areas have a long history of voting blue. Many of the eastern KY counties (Appalachia) are blue, and WV re-elected Sen Byrd (D) for decades (over 50 years) along with electing a D Governor who just recently switched to R. Plus, inner-cities have higher poverty rates, much higher population densities, and also are far more likely to vote D.

The fact is that poverty, its correlated high rate of obesity, and means-tested public assistance enrollment leans heavily D, by a ratio of more than 2 to 1. Poverty and its subsequently correlated high obesity rate does indeed seem to be behavior-related issues endemic to one politically-affiliated group much more so than another. Why? That's what needs to be explored... Why does one particular politically-affiliated demographic group suffer from those problems much more so than another group?
I understand all that, and now you understand more why I chose that particular example. Defeats racism deflections and also shuts down "but Republicans..." nonsense as well.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:34 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yes--and no.

We are being marketed to to choose junk foods--foods with a high profit margin.

But you can educate yourself as to healthy choices and pass by the crappy foods. Turn a blind eye to the aisles and displays of junk foods.

I see many grocery shoppers doing just this. They are the ones who are not obese.

Is nutrition being taught in schools these days?

I don't know. It should be.

Parents can be huge influencers in the home. So the twig is bent, so grows the tree.
I already noted this.

I don't excuse the bad choice, I just point out why it is so easy to make. At no point do I ever excuse the individual from the consequences of their own behaviors, but I can be sympathetic to the forces that assist their nature in heading the bad direction.

And I am absolutely, 100%, vehemently opposed to any manner of collective solution, since obesity is an individual problem. Anyone can change their behavior towards the positive. It is an act of will, and will alone. I am just playing devil's advocate by accepting the various temptations around and why the weak willed would so easily gravitate towards those temptations. Doesn't change their weak will, but does allow for a bit of understanding.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:36 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Here are the highest obesity states and not even one of them is a blue state. Not one. They are all Republican. And West Virginia, the highest, is also the whitest. This silly argument that "the Democrats are the fat ones!" simply isn't true as the data shows. The culture in red states is very fattening, often fried food. Poverty is another issue, but I watched a breakfast cooked in a diner in Texas where the cook fried bacon in butter. The culture in blue states tend to be that of healthier foods and a healthier lifestyle, which is often ridiculed by the right. Look at our last Democratic president and look at the current one.

West Virginia (38.1 percent)
Mississippi (37.3 percent)
Oklahoma (36.5 percent)
Iowa (36.4 percent)
Alabama (36.3 percent)
Louisiana (36.2 percent)
Arkansas (35 percent)
Kentucky (34.3 percent)
Alaska (34.2 percent)
South Carolina (34.1 percent)
https://www.foxnews.com/health/most-obese-states-in-us
Just looking at states isn't specific enough to get to the bottom of learned behaviors in regards to poverty, Food Stamps enrollment/use, and its subsequent high obesity rate endemic to certain politically affiliated groups. This will help...

Look at political party affiliation:

The Politics and Demographics of Food Stamps - Pew Research

The USDA published a report stating that Food Stamp (SNAP) recipients have the highest obesity rates, even when compared with those who are income-eligible but are not enrolled in the program:

Quote:
Obesity rates:

Children:

SNAP participants: 24%
Income‐eligible nonparticipants: 20%
Higher‐income nonparticipants: 13%

Adults:

SNAP participants: 44%
Income‐eligible nonparticipants: 33%
Higher‐income nonparticipants: 32%

SNAP participants were more likely to be obese than income-eligible nonparticipants who were matched in economic and demographic characteristics
Exhibit 5, here: http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...-SNAP07-10.pdf

Old 02-29-2020, 09:36 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Free market health care and no one need worry about their neighbors waist line, vices, genetics...
But that would mean I can't be your mother hen anymore.

Don't you know that I know what's best for you?

I'll just have to produce my weapon and keep you in line then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies