Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 04:02 PM

698 posts, read 234,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Well, the "traitors" don't exist anymore. They lived 150 years ago and they were honorable people who simply disagreed with the federal government on much more than slavery.

Slavery in the south was already on it's way out. It's funny how this manufactured issue by the Democrats has gained so much traction.

Say what you want to about the Confederates but they met the US Army on the field of battle in an honorable way. They didn't put masks on and beat up defenseless people on the street the way the modern day liberals do.
Traitors, by definition, are not honorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 04:03 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Well, the "traitors" don't exist anymore. They lived 150 years ago and they were honorable people who simply disagreed with the federal government on much more than slavery.

Slavery in the south was already on it's way out. It's funny how this manufactured issue by the Democrats has gained so much traction.

Say what you want to about the Confederates but they met the US Army on the field of battle in an honorable way. They didn't put masks on and beat up defenseless people on the street the way the modern day liberals do.
The confederates were traitors. They rebelled with the specific goal of preserving slavery.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:06 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The confederates were traitors. They rebelled with the specific goal of preserving slavery.
BS. They weren't going to have the federal government tell them they couldn't have slaves. They knew they would be increasingly isolated if they kept the practice because most European Nations were offically taking a stand against the practice.

I grew up in the North, I'm a Union guy but having the idiots of society today judge those people is just too much for me.

That flag is a part of AMERICAN HISTORY. Deal with it. Americans flew that flag and died for it.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:13 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
Traitors, by definition, are not honorable.
Our own Founding Fathers were traitors, I find them very honorable.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:29 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Traitors to the Crown, but honorable men when fighting tyranny, which they did.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM

698 posts, read 234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Traitors to the Crown, but honorable men when fighting tyranny, which they did.
This stuff just amazes me. These guys I am sure consider themselves to be Great Americans, but if it is racist, then be a traitor.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
This makes sense -makes flying a flag of rebellion in a military installation does not

Old 03-01-2020, 04:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:

I'm 58 and when I was young the Confederate flag meant being a rebel and standing up for what you think is right. Going against the grain, that is what young people did when I was young. Give a giant finger to the man.
"
Now these jellybelly sycophants millennials just lose their minds over tweets.
You were born a little too late. We gave the finger to the Man because he WAS a Slaveholder and believed in the same types of things - an Authoritarian Police state and caste system.

Much of the Rebel army was forcibly conscripted - against their will - leaving their kids and families to virtually starve (and they starved also). They were fighting for the Rich Dudes...that was how the South was set up. It's laughable to suggest that the poor white MAJORITY of the South wanted to fight and die for the Politicians (Slaveholders) there. But let's hear it directly from THEM:

"From 1861 to 1865, around 23,000 North Carolina soldiers deserted"
"Southern elites also reneged on their promises to look after soldiers’ families by refusing to grow more food crops instead of the more profitable cotton; furthermore, many of the rich extorted basic necessities and their doing so exacerbated already tough economic conditions"

And their own words:
"Now Govr. do tell me how we poor soldiers who are fighting for the rich mans Negro can support our families at $11 per month? How can the poor live? I dread to see the summer as I am fearful there will be much suffering now..."

So who were the real rebels? Those who fought the rich mans war and left their families at home to starve and die? Or those who, instead, helped the union and sued the Confederacy in courts and started a peace movement during the war in the South?

Maybe, just maybe, what you learned wasn't accurate? Think about it.
I can assure you that the school books down there were NOT written by the hard-working subsistence farmers and workers - those who worked on the turpentine farms and scratched out a living.

No, they were written by the families of the Wealthy Plantation Owners. You should know that.

Old 03-01-2020, 05:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Sorry. No points there.

Those who read the Declaration and the methods used to declare freedom would never dare to compare that with a "rebellion" of the 1%...or fewer.....Wealthy Land and Slave Owners who then used the poor folk as their cannon fodder.

If I am not wrong quite a few of the Founders actually fought battles in the Revolution. I think our First POTUS did. Hamilton did.

Did they forcibly conscript poor people and pay them nothing? With no reward even if there was victory?

Nope..the Founders didn't but Jeff Davis and friends did.

It was a war for the 1%. The Soldiers knew that very well.

BUT, instead of hating the folks who sent 100's of thousands to be maimed and killed, the South lionizes those very same people and has sent them to DC and other political positions in the time since. Maybe it's Stockholm Syndrome?

When 1/3rd of all the soldiers from a certain county in NC defect....that is a statement. Yet, if we are to listen to some of you here, none of you Southerners had any relation to these defectors or to Unionists or spies or the like? That's amazing. The odds would say that Defectors survived and reproduced....which might mean that as many as 1/2 or more of the descendants of "rebels" would be the descendants of "traitors"....to the Southern Cause.

History is intersesting as it gets rewritten. Somehow the sons and daughters of those defectors and unionists - numbering by now in the MANY Millions, aren't discussed much. Where are they?

Old 03-01-2020, 05:17 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You are not considering the number of dead enslaved people during the time period from 1525 to 1860.

There were approximately 4 million enslaved people who were alive in 1860.
Are you saying most people will or should live to be over 300 years old ?

How about the slave owners, did any of them die too ? They most certainly died out just like the slaves !!!

The dinosaurs are extinct now too !!! Have you noticed that ?

Note: no one is suggesting reparations for their closest living relatives. I have yet to see a crocodile at the bank. I haven't seen one even make a withdraw at the ATM, ….. yet !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies