Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 11:37 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,828,053 times

Advertisements

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...rida/POP060210

I am surprised it is only 36% or 37% by what I have seen in much of California.

I have never been to Adelanto and Arvin where it's that high percentage of children under 18. But on my visits to Los Angeles many majority latino areas have 24/7 babies screaming with apartments with mothers pushing strollers with children in tow. Grocery store after grocery store in parts of LA full of screaming babies.

It certainly isn't like that in my visits to El Paso and Tampa's cuban section.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...s-strike/4633/

I know the news media in LA reported that overcrowded classrooms of 45 students with students sitting on window sills because the tremendous amount of babies that people have as a cultural tradition in Los Angeles.

Very common for the percentage of the population in many California cities that are majority latino to be in the mid and high 30s compared to the high 10s in heavily latino cities in Florida and mid 20s in El Paso and San Antonio.

I have always been floored and my jaw drops when I enter a heavily latino area in California with the number of babies that culturally it's a tradition to have. El Paso is a heavily latino city and only 26% are under 18 and in Miami and Hialeah it is 17%.

It is very interesting, how Arvin and Adelanto, California have 50% more children under 18 than latino cities like El Paso and more than twice as many children per-capita than Miami and Hialeah.

I know based on my time in LA, El Paso and in Florida in the Cuban sections of Tampa I have noticed a huge difference.

I can count on one hand the number of latinos I have seen in my trips to Los Angeles who were millennials who didn't have a stroller with several children in tow, while in El Paso and Tampa there are many latinos who seem to not have children.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 03-01-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 11:43 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,455,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I have always been floored and my jaw drops when I enter a heavily latino area in California with the number of babies that culturally it's a tradition to have. El Paso is a heavily latino city and only 26% are under 18 and in Miami and Hialeah it is 17%.

It is very interesting, how Arvin and Adelanto, California have 50% more children under 18 than latino cities like El Paso and more than twice as many children per-capita than Miami and Hialeah.

I know the news media in LA reported that overcrowded classrooms of 45 students with students sitting on window sills because the tremendous amount of babies people in LA have.

I know based on my time in LA, El Paso and in Florida in the Cuban sections of Tampa I have noticed a huge difference.

I can count on one hand the number of latinos I have seen in my trips to Los Angeles who were millennials who didn't have a stroller with several children in tow, while in El Paso and Tampa there are many latinos who seem to not have children.
So you are pissed that anglos don't procreate as fast correct? What exactly is the problem with that they cant make babies? Maybe it is amoral decadence with whites that they do not want to procreate.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:09 AM

13,570 posts, read 10,274,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
So you are pissed that anglos don't procreate as fast correct? What exactly is the problem with that they cant make babies? Maybe it is amoral decadence with whites that they do not want to procreate.
Mormons and some other Christian groups like the Quiverfull movement procreate quite a bit (the Duggars are part of the latter category).

Old 03-02-2020, 01:44 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,086,757 times
Quote:

I have never been to Adelanto and Arvin where it's that high percentage of children under 18. But on my visits to Los Angeles many majority latino areas have 24/7 babies screaming with apartments with mothers pushing strollers with children in tow. Grocery store after grocery store in parts of LA full of screaming babies.

I know the news media in LA reported that overcrowded classrooms of 45 students with students sitting on window sills because the tremendous amount of babies that people have as a cultural tradition in Los Angeles.

Very common for the percentage of the population in many California cities that are majority latino to be in the mid and high 30s compared to the high 10s in heavily latino cities in Florida and mid 20s in El Paso and San Antonio.

If you look at the census link you posted, there is also this stat:

Persons 65 years and over, percent
Adelanto 5.7%
Arvin 5.2%
Hialeah 19.7%
Miami 16.7%

And that's only noting those over 65. I would bet further investigation would find that the population age skews lower in those cities, thus the natural discrepancy in rates, not some "California cultural tradition".

Old 03-02-2020, 02:57 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,068,290 times

Old 03-02-2020, 06:11 AM

15,072 posts, read 6,107,558 times
Different groups, generally-speaking.

It is what it is.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:25 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,342,219 times
If the op really Loves Crowds shouldn't they like people having more children?

Old 03-02-2020, 06:28 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,818,728 times
Comparing statistics from communities that aren't the same at all.
Means nothing.

Old 03-02-2020, 08:14 AM

62,378 posts, read 28,660,540 times
Quote:

I had to attend a business meeting in Orange County, CA before I retired and I was simply astounded by the number of Latina women who were pushing baby strollers with a couple of toddlers in tow also. Some had a bun in the oven to. I'm sure a good number of them were here illegally. I couldn't help but think how much this was costing the taxpayer and the overcrowded schools and neighborhoods there.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:24 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,068,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I had to attend a business meeting in Orange County, CA before I retired and I was simply astounded by the number of Latina women who were pushing baby strollers with a couple of toddlers in tow also. Some had a bun in the oven to. I'm sure a good number of them were here illegally. I couldn't help but think how much this was costing the taxpayer and the overcrowded schools and neighborhoods there.

Cue the Forensic Files theme song...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies