Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 09:35 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you asked why we cant relax with a joint. but we can with a drink.....

the answer is that in 1937, the democrats made it illegal...and democrats have been keeping it so since

George Washington brew hemp / cannabis... as did Jefferson..... yet FDR made it illegal
I can pretty much be reading this while walking out of a dispensary in democratic California..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2020, 09:35 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:

the answer is that in 1937, the democrats made it illegal...and democrats have been keeping it so since

George Washington brew hemp / cannabis... as did Jefferson..... yet FDR made it illegal
And Trump is committed to keeping it illegal and McConnell is committed to blocking any effort by the Democratic House to legalize it.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I smoked it before it was legal. The laws can cram it. Though it's changed now. Weird how it felt just a few years ago vs now.
Same as how it still feels in a red state.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:38 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Hilarious stoners don't think it's addictive. I had a GF that couldn't leave the house without toking. 6 am or 6 pm.
Maybe your GF had anxiety or social issues which pot helped her deal with. Nothing wrong with that. Pot is no more an addiction than food or alcohol. It all depends on the person.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Because our sense of right and wrong isn't determined by outcomes and consequences.

Ethics scholars went down that route in the past century, leading to the trainwreck of normative ethics we call utilitarianism.

Bottom line is, you know intuitively that cannabis smoking is wrong, and that rationalizing it by reducing it to its health outcomes is also wrong. Unless you face up to your addictions, you'll never escape harassment through self-conviction.
You don't know it intuitively. If you think it is wrong, you were taught that. Just like a toddler doesn't know intuitively that a hot stove will burn him. He has to be taught.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:56 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Coffee is my addiction.

I. An drink 3-4 cups (not all in one sitting).
But I find myself having a coffee at night TO RELAX...

Ya, Im all effed up with caffeine.

Better than alcohol I guess. That’s for the weekends...

Old 03-02-2020, 10:01 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:

You are ignoring that old laws banning marijuana were on the cutting block until Nixon did the worst thing possible for Marijuana. He singed a permanent ban placing it on schedule 1 despite his very own commission, Shafer commission, recommendation that it should be decriminalized.

Placing it on schedule 1 prevented any further private scientific study on Marijuana because it made it near impossible to obtain.

If it werent for him, it would most likely be legal now.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Because our sense of right and wrong isn't determined by outcomes and consequences.

Ethics scholars went down that route in the past century, leading to the trainwreck of normative ethics we call utilitarianism.

Bottom line is, you know intuitively that cannabis smoking is wrong, and that rationalizing it by reducing it to its health outcomes is also wrong. Unless you face up to your addictions, you'll never escape harassment through self-conviction.

Summary... This poster determines right from wrong.. At least in their world.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Coffee is my addiction.

I. An drink 3-4 cups (not all in one sitting).
But I find myself having a coffee at night TO RELAX...

Ya, Im all effed up with caffeine.

Better than alcohol I guess. That’s for the weekends...
Same here... About 3 to 5 cups during the day. But Yeh... It is socially acceptable because it's perception that it promotes productivity. A lot of office spaces even provide it to their workers free of charge.

Old 03-02-2020, 10:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You don't know it intuitively. If you think it is wrong, you were taught that. Just like a toddler doesn't know intuitively that a hot stove will burn him. He has to be taught.
A toddler can be taught to count from 1 to 10.

The numbers 1 to 10 are also knowable intuitively. In other words, if a child were not to be taught to count, he/she would go on to have an intuitive awareness of quantities or numbers in some sense, even though he/she may not give it the same labels we do.

The same holds true for moral truths as it does for the set of natural numbers and mathematical truths.

These are what we refer to as rationally intuitive truths, which are different to observational truths (such as a stove being hot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies