Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 03:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
As opposed to the Dems and all their freebies? You are kidding right?
LOL, What freebies? I don't get any freebies from Dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 03:12 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trickle down economics simply do not work. Every time we've had a Republican President since 1980, we've tried the same thing and it's ended in disaster. We give massive tax cuts to the wealthy with the promise that the money will trickle down to the middle class. What happens is the rich get richer and everyone else gets poorer and the cycle ends in a catastrophic bust. We elect Democrats to fix the mess, yet for some reason after things start going well again, we elect Republicans and have to do the entire thing all over again. Each time the crash has been worse than the last and the Trump crash looks to be no different.

When are we going to learn that trickle down doesn't work? How many recessions are we going to have to suffer through?
Hmm. Yea. OK. Under Reagan and the Bush I was solidly employed. The company I worked for in thise years was rolling down serious coin. I got a bonus of at least 150-200 dollars every week. Life was good.

Then came Cinton. The work dried up because our customer base stopped spending money. Oh there was work but not like before. The new construction real money wasnt there..

The company folded in the end and I lucked into a position with a DoD contractor. Government funded work was there but the private market for a skilled tradesman wasn't.

I did alright I guess but I wasn't getting ahead. And went from single to supporting a family. Was kinda stuck in a status quo. Then that damn government shutdown hit cuz if the Dems and Pubs both squabbling bout budgeting. Dems wanted to slash DoD Pu s didn't and us DoD contractor types wound up in a nice little layoff for a month.

A months wages wasnt chump change for me back then. I scratched and clawed all the side work I could but still wound up 3 months behind fir a month off. I got called back but it was like starting over again.

DoD ramped up when Clinton got us into Kosovo. The facility I worked at had a bunch of obsolete munitions slated for DeMil and everybody from every shop on base was working 16-18 hour days B&Bing the stuff for deployment.

But that wasnt a good thing g long term. I stead of the years of steady work DeMil would have had Clinton just dropped the stuff on the Serbians. I'd say a good 59-60% of that crap didnt even go BOOM, but it wasnt the Armys problem anymore. They gave it to the Serbs to worry about. That was nice of them.

So when that was all over we were looking at layoffs again. Big ones. I was skilled trades and maintenance was safe but not production. Lots if people were hurting. And they just left the area. The place was a ghost town.

Then Ali g comes W. And 911. Oh my. And there were no people left to hire in the town next to the base. LOL. The Army was freaking. Anyway I got ahead finally. New construction work on the outside was going nuts and I left DoD a d started my own business.

The rest of the way through those Pub years I did really well. Then along came Hopey Changy and the spread the wealth around new deal. The new construction tanked. The people who were behind the money on the big projects, residential and commercial balked. Big time.

Even residential trouble calls dried up. Nobody and I mean nobody was spending any money. The Obama years were tough. I was lucky if you want to call it that because I had skills. I wound up working for an LP company as a service/delivery driver.

Now we have a Pub in the White House and a majority senate. A Dem house that cant get anything done but try to find ways to remove the Prez. I'm doing pretty well all things considered and a huge new opportunity just popped up that will have things rolling.

A d it's an election year with the Dems fielding the WORST crop of candidates in history. (sigh) If the Dems take DC this year I'm afraid it's all over. That is all I have to say.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity . . . . What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving . . . . The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else . . . .. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is the beginning of the end of any nation . . . .You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

- Adrian Rogers, 1931
In other words, most conservatives want government welfare to be abolished and have poor people, who can't get jobs, work for their money by begging for it in the streets.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:15 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trickle down economics simply do not work. Every time we've had a Republican President since 1980, we've tried the same thing and it's ended in disaster. We give massive tax cuts to the wealthy with the promise that the money will trickle down to the middle class. What happens is the rich get richer and everyone else gets poorer and the cycle ends in a catastrophic bust. We elect Democrats to fix the mess, yet for some reason after things start going well again, we elect Republicans and have to do the entire thing all over again. Each time the crash has been worse than the last and the Trump crash looks to be no different.

When are we going to learn that trickle down doesn't work? How many recessions are we going to have to suffer through?
Attention readers----the above is how a liberal mind works. Take nonsensical campaign rhetoric and repeat as if true.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I can't wait for all that free stuff Bernie-Leninism is going to shower on us deplorables!
Then why the hell does Sanders say middle class will have to pay higher taxes. Did it simply not occur to you that nothing is free?

Old 03-03-2020, 03:16 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In other words, most conservatives want ....
You have no clue what "most conservatives want". But I'll give you a star for the straw man.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, he was actually well to the left of center.
Then why the hell did Kansas Republicans elect him?

Old 03-03-2020, 03:17 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Hmm. Yea. OK. Under Reagan and the Bush I was solidly employed. The company I worked for in thise years was rolling down serious coin. I got a bonus of at least 150-200 dollars every week. Life was good.

Then came Cinton. The work dried up because our customer base stopped spending money. Oh there was work but not like before. The new construction real money wasnt there..

The company folded in the end and I lucked into a position with a DoD contractor. Government funded work was there but the private market for a skilled tradesman wasn't.

I did alright I guess but I wasn't getting ahead. And went from single to supporting a family. Was kinda stuck in a status quo. Then that damn government shutdown hit cuz if the Dems and Pubs both squabbling bout budgeting. Dems wanted to slash DoD Pu s didn't and us DoD contractor types wound up in a nice little layoff for a month.

A months wages wasnt chump change for me back then. I scratched and clawed all the side work I could but still wound up 3 months behind fir a month off. I got called back but it was like starting over again.

DoD ramped up when Clinton got us into Kosovo. The facility I worked at had a bunch of obsolete munitions slated for DeMil and everybody from every shop on base was working 16-18 hour days B&Bing the stuff for deployment.

But that wasnt a good thing g long term. I stead of the years of steady work DeMil would have had Clinton just dropped the stuff on the Serbians. I'd say a good 59-60% of that crap didnt even go BOOM, but it wasnt the Armys problem anymore. They gave it to the Serbs to worry about. That was nice of them.

So when that was all over we were looking at layoffs again. Big ones. I was skilled trades and maintenance was safe but not production. Lots if people were hurting. And they just left the area. The place was a ghost town.

Then Ali g comes W. And 911. Oh my. And there were no people left to hire in the town next to the base. LOL. The Army was freaking. Anyway I got ahead finally. New construction work on the outside was going nuts and I left DoD a d started my own business.

The rest of the way through those Pub years I did really well. Then along came Hopey Changy and the spread the wealth around new deal. The new construction tanked. The people who were behind the money on the big projects, residential and commercial balked. Big time.

Even residential trouble calls dried up. Nobody and I mean nobody was spending any money. The Obama years were tough. I was lucky if you want to call it that because I had skills. I wound up working for an LP company as a service/delivery driver.

Now we have a Pub in the White House and a majority senate. A Dem house that cant get anything done but try to find ways to remove the Prez. I'm doing pretty well all things considered and a huge new opportunity just popped up that will have things rolling.

A d it's an election year with the Dems fielding the WORST crop of candidates in history. (sigh) If the Dems take DC this year I'm afraid it's all over. That is all I have to say.

You clearly work for a defense contractor which gets money and orders when there's war.. Of course you'll do better when Republicans are in charge because that's all you've done and known the last 35 years..

Old 03-03-2020, 03:20 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,195 times
I have to confess neocons have been pretty ingenous at turning from a sytem where the they gave money to the poors in order to make them buy stuff, to a system where they loan them money , thus getting richer and richer...

Old 03-03-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Attention readers----the above is how a liberal mind works. Take nonsensical campaign rhetoric and repeat as if true.
I gather you did quite well financially under Bush II.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies