Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 05:39 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

There are far too many guns in circulation for mandatory registration to ever work. Not even after 100 years.

If we did make registration the law, how soon would those tunnels under the border wall be smuggling guns rather than drugs or humans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 05:44 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Lets read my post together: "hopefully most do and the mentally insane will find it more difficult to purchase one".

Having said that, it would also make it harder for criminals to buy guns, since the law abiding sellers would run the background checks and reject the criminal buyers.

I take it you are against the background checks?
Well, obviously I'm against them. I know a LOT of legal firearms owners. All of them, myself included, dont sell any guns outside real shooting circles. We dont put for sale ads up. We dont have to.

We dont want sleazy strangers showing up looking to buy a gun. So we either put them on consignment at a gun store, and if it sells there the store will run a regular BC, or we sell to people at shooting events. Criminals and nut cases dont hang out at ICORE matches.

We dont sell guns out of our trunks to people we cant vett. These private sale BC laws are as I said a nasty reach around to push central registry..

They sound oh so wonderful (especially to rabid gun haters) and like such a great thing. In practice they are worthless and nothing more than a foot in the door for central registration.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:48 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lots of people, even long time firearms owners, have been in support of private sale BCs. After all, it's just a good precaution right? What's so bad about such a requirement?

Well, as this was recently passed here in NV, and shortly after pulled off the books as unenforceable heres a couple things glaringly wrong.

1: There are FAR to many firearms in private hands that have been in circulation for a very long time. There is no way for anyone to now start trying to track all private sales. For example, I've had a couple guns for 30 years or more. If I sold it to whoever and say it is used for nefarious purposes. Theres no way to know that I didnt sell that gun 20 years ago. Even if the original purchase could be tracked.

2: With number 1 in mind who is going to be in charge of making sure everyone selling a gun privately follows this law? And how will they accomplish that? Nobody can. Its impossible. Besides real criminals selling guns aren't going to worry about a BC anyway. They know the guns they sell will be used for crime a d those guns are illegal anyway. So what good would hanging these requirements on legal gun owners accomplish?

3: With one and two in mind local Sheriffs here flat out stated when that stupid law passed that they could not enforce it and were not going to be held accountable to do so. One county Sheriff came out and said the only way it could even begin to be enforced is if citizens were required to register their firearms with the state. And give the serial number for any gun they sell in the BC process so the state can record that gun as having been sold by Tom to Dick.

Ah Ha! So THAT is the equation. A couple Vegas elections Ted leftist loon legislators thought that was just a great idea. For about a minute. THAT ain't gonna happen. However as these private checks get pushed more and more look for such registry requirements to be snuck in on the fine print of such measures.

The anti 2A bunch has been pushing for central registration for a long time but it won't fly as a stand alone measure. Because its unconstitutional. Period.

But, if they sneak such a requirement through on a ballot measure at the state level that leaves state constitutions wide open.

Look at the big picture folks. Private sale BC laws are not just "common sense" or a "reasonable requirement " Its a nasty reach around for central registration. And any firearms owner with any knowledge of history and a modicum of sense k ows what happens after that.
"There is no way for anyone to now start trying to track all private sales."

YOU are NOT required to track ALL sales of the gun.

The manufacturer records the serial number and who thyy sold it to. Each person IS required to keep who THEY bought it from and who they sold it to which is why registration is NOT needed.

"who is going to be in charge of making sure everyone selling a gun privately follows this law? How do we know when anyone doesn't follow thae laws.

By your 'reasoning, or lack thereof, we shouldn't have ANY laws because" who is going to be in charge of making sure everyone" "follows this law?"

Old 03-05-2020, 05:54 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The right wing wants criminals to have guns, no questions asked.
And not a singe dem owns a gun. Better tell diane fienstien to get rid of hers and joe biden to get rid of his shotgun!

Old 03-05-2020, 06:12 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
The right wing wants criminals to have guns, no questions asked.
Nope. The right wing wants criminals to be put in prison where they belong. (hopefully without guns!). It is the left-wing moonbats that insist on eliminating prison, being soft on crime and turning violent criminals loose on the streets. If we actually put criminals away, most gun related murders would end. But no-the irrational, emotional left insist on turning criminals free to prey on innocent people time after time.

Perhaps you can explain something to me. Why do those on the left seem to empathize far more with criminals than with their victims?

Old 03-05-2020, 06:19 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Nope. The right wing wants criminals to be put in prison where they belong. (hopefully without guns!). It is the left-wing moonbats that insist on eliminating prison, being soft on crime and turning violent criminals loose on the streets. If we actually put criminals away, most gun related murders would end. But no-the irrational, emotional left insist on turning criminals free to prey on innocent people time after time.

Perhaps you can explain something to me. Why do those on the left seem to empathize far more with criminals than with their victims?
The largest crime syndicate in the nation is the Republican Party with crime boss Donald Trump as their leader. With Trump’s rubber stamp Senate, the foxes are guarding the chicken coup.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:22 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Lets read my post together: "hopefully most do and the mentally insane will find it more difficult to purchase one".

Having said that, it would also make it harder for criminals to buy guns, since the law abiding sellers would run the background checks and reject the criminal buyers.

I take it you are against the background checks?

I'm against any free citizen being barred the use of arms.

Period.

Anyone who is too dangerous to own a firearm shouldn't be allowed to run free in society.

If they're too dangerous to own a gun then they're too dangerous to own a knife......or a baseball bat.

Or to be in the same city park as my wife and daughter.

But if they've completed their sentence and been deemed safe to return to society, including parole etc, then they should have ALL rights restored.

Clear enough?

Old 03-05-2020, 06:42 AM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
There are millions of firearms sold before 1968 that have no serial number or are simply duplicate manufacturer numbers out there. Imagine one of these guns being used in a crime, the number logged then done away with. Then somehow you get in some type of drag net where your firearm comes back as a crime weapon. Millions of duplicates out there.

Today there are 80% receivers being sold by the millions and not a single one has a serial number. This is by design.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:47 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
I don't sell guns and when and when I am gone, my guns will belong to my kids who I don't think will sell them either. So no BC necessary. My daughter already carries one of my guns.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:52 AM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I don't sell guns and when and when I am gone, my guns will belong to my kids who I don't think will sell them either. So no BC necessary. My daughter already carries one of my guns.
I did sell one. It was a NA arms .22 magnum. You literally had to have your hand in front of a loaded round to open the cylinder. It was Dad's old pocket gun for work when he read gas meters. I just didn't want anyone in my family dealing with a firearm that had no trigger guard and you had to have your hand in front of a loaded round to unload it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies