Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about black water?
Im ok with it 12 35.29%
Im against it 20 58.82%
Ive never heard of it... 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,911 times

Advertisements

Im curious how other people view blackwater...

A private contracting company that can do almost anything it wants, hardly ever gets punished for disregarding the law, and only kills when it wants to.
It violates the third and fourth geneva convention acts and makes the US look horrible.

further more why doesnt anyone (except ron paul) care?

and how do you feel about the fact that (given their disregard for human life, and their ability to take part in unconstitutional/illegal acts) our government is thinking about contracting them for "intellegence extraction" in order to get information from POWs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 04:04 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Their should be an option for "meh". War is war no matter who is fighting it. Working for a private company doesn't make you evil, and working for the government doesn't make you justified.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:11 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,270,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Their should be an option for "meh". War is war no matter who is fighting it. Working for a private company doesn't make you evil, and working for the government doesn't make you justified.
private companies dont get immunity, but the ex UN high commissioner for human rights, ms ann arbour has been accused of covering up rwanda genocide

Old 04-23-2008, 05:15 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
Im curious how other people view blackwater...

A private contracting company that can do almost anything it wants, hardly ever gets punished for disregarding the law, and only kills when it wants to.
It violates the third and fourth geneva convention acts and makes the US look horrible.

further more why doesnt anyone (except ron paul) care?

and how do you feel about the fact that (given their disregard for human life, and their ability to take part in unconstitutional/illegal acts) our government is thinking about contracting them for "intellegence extraction" in order to get information from POWs.
Oh wow! I thought you were talking about that song by the Doobie Brothers and I voted yes! I do like that song but not the other Black Water.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I'd imagine it tastes pretty bad...

Okay, on a serious note. I'd rather mercenaries fight this battle than our military.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:11 PM

600 posts, read 1,083,911 times
So you would rather send in people at 120,000 dollars a year to shoot and kill people and then pull out when they feel they are in danger and leave the millitary there to fight the crap?

Blackwaters boys can pull out whenever they feel in danger, the millitary cant.
How is that fair? paying 120k to people who kill people in comfort, and then leaving our millitary who are making maybe 20k a year to fight in the mud and the blood and the guts 24/7?

meanwhile Blackwater kills civilians and SUPPORTS the Iraqi revolt and causes Iraqi citizens to want to kill US soliders...

Old 04-23-2008, 06:47 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,242 times
I have mixed feelings about Blackwater. When I was trained by them for shipboard security I thought they were the best guys around. Guys who knew the job that wanted to train sailors, instead of the crap we were getting before hand. Knowing that they do have this level of knolowdge and them applying it to iraq with damn near no rules and reg's is causes me to have a bad taste for them. Another thing I don't like is that they are pulling a lot of our ex spec ops people and paying them much more than the military can afford even with all the bennies, and leaving us with this gap of experience. I can go on and on about what I have liked and dont' like, but I think some rules need to be applied to them.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslyke View Post
So you would rather send in people at 120,000 dollars a year to shoot and kill people and then pull out when they feel they are in danger and leave the millitary there to fight the crap?

Blackwaters boys can pull out whenever they feel in danger, the millitary cant.
How is that fair? paying 120k to people who kill people in comfort, and then leaving our millitary who are making maybe 20k a year to fight in the mud and the blood and the guts 24/7?

meanwhile Blackwater kills civilians and SUPPORTS the Iraqi revolt and causes Iraqi citizens to want to kill US soliders...
No, I'd prefer that they were the ONLY ones over there fighting...not our military. This isn't a war declared by Congress, after all. You want to do something in Iraq? Answer an ad in Soldier of Fortune magazine.

Oh, and I never suggested that our government PAY them anything for it. Let them divvy up "the spoils".

Old 04-24-2008, 04:49 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
Blackwater are a bunch of former special forces. They are better qualified to fight than most American soldiers. Plus the pay is good and lets face it an 18yr shouldn't go fight on the front lines. These blackwater agents are all old men. Let them do the fightin.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Blackwater are a bunch of former special forces. They are better qualified to fight than most American soldiers. Plus the pay is good and lets face it an 18yr shouldn't go fight on the front lines. These blackwater agents are all old men. Let them do the fightin.
This is nothing new. There has always been "agents" (most likely ex-military special forces) like these guys, very well trained, disciplined and courageous. Doing a dangerous job, which they should be well paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies