Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 11:15 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Rather than concoct different schemes to pay for them, some better questions would be;
Should all govt monopolies be abolished?
Should people pay only for what they use?
Should govt get out of the way of free market alternatives and let people spending their own money choose?

I say yes to all of the above.
If you say yes, how can some people enslave others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sorry, spending a lot on education isn't correlated to better educational outcomes. Some of the worst school districts in the country are among those that spend the most per student. Think Washington, DC, Camden, NJ, etc. Plus there was that famous Kansas City school funding experiment (funding was increased to $40,000 per student - there was no measurable improvement in educational.outcomes): https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...051-story.html
But that’s not the reason not to put more money into it.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:24 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But that’s not the reason not to put more money into it.
So what you're saying is you're ok in putting money into something with no measurable benefit?

Cool, you can pay into the Gungnir life improvement fund, you send me your dollars, I'll send you my best wishes. I will personally guarantee you will receive absolutely no measurable benefit from this payment. DM me if you need details where to send your cash.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
So what you're saying is you're ok in putting money into something with no measurable benefit?

Cool, you can pay into the Gungnir life improvement fund, you send me your dollars, I'll send you my best wishes. I will personally guarantee you will receive absolutely no measurable benefit from this payment. DM me if you need details where to send your cash.
Nope. I am going to force you and others to pay.

That’s the mentality of those people.

Old 03-08-2020, 12:32 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nope. I am going to force you and others to pay.

That’s the mentality of those people.
You can always buy a private island and establish your own security forces/healthcare system/infrastructure, etc.

Nothing is stopping you from living tax and government free.

Old 03-08-2020, 01:40 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
You can always buy a private island and establish your own security forces/healthcare system/infrastructure, etc.

Nothing is stopping you from living tax and government free.

Except when a government decides to kidnap you...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ise-nearly-30/

Old 03-08-2020, 03:07 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,099,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Except when a government decides to kidnap you...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ise-nearly-30/
....ain’t my problem.

If you want to live by yourself, sans government, you’ll have to deal with problems like this from both private and public entities.

He should have hired a private military force to prevent this from happening.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:22 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post

It's how I feel about all of these wars we've been in. We aren't getting anywhere as a nation in a collective sense with these wars, but yet they sure are as hell eating up a large chunk of our budgets, and it's not going to provide a good living or support for our enlisted men, but seems to be helping to fatten up the bank accounts of the defense contractors, many who are sponsors of many politicians.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
It's how I feel about all of these wars we've been in. We aren't getting anywhere as a nation in a collective sense with these wars, but yet they sure are as hell eating up a large chunk of our budgets, and it's not going to provide a good living or support for our enlisted men, but seems to be helping to fatten up the bank accounts of the defense contractors, many who are sponsors of many politicians.
The last 3 failed wars from Bush 1 and 2 could have sure paid for lots of roads and new bridges.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
The last 3 failed wars from Bush 1 and 2 could have sure paid for lots of roads and new bridges.
Presidents don’t have wars. They must be authorized by the Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies