Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But few people want to move to Fargo, because it offers so little with plenty of bad, cold winter weather.
Well, I explained as much. Market rates reflect this sentiment.

Do you think folks in Fargo would like to keep their COL and have my beach, ocean, mountains, and weather?

Yes.

Do you think I would like to keep my beach, ocean, mountains, and weather while exchanging my COL with the COL folks have in Fargo?

Of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 02:28 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Because you and trobe deserve to have things free or cheap at someone elses expense.
We were talking about paying property taxes, which I do, or exploiting loopholes, which I don't. You might want to stay on the subject. BTW, I've paid school taxes my entire adult life. Never had a kid. But I think we should have an educated populace, so I've never begrudged paying them. However, I think in the past few years I want my money back on that educated populace investment.

Last edited by trobesmom; 03-05-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If someone or an entity, business, whatever uses the govts own tax laws to minimize tax liabilty, is it exploiting a loophole?
If you follow statist logic to its natural conclusion you are cheating the system by not making the most money possible solely for the honor of paying more in taxes.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
No, that's how we pay for our city/town/village roads, fire, police, schools etc. all pretty important stuff.
I have more respect and appreciation for my local community's teachers, water department employees and law enforcement agents than any national politician or bureaucrat.

I also like the absolute simplicity and relative predictability of property taxes. And many States also have rules to make them "progressive" in some way, like discounts for main residence and senior discounts.

If anything, I would do away with income taxes, a complicated mess that has relatively little to do with federal government revenue. As some consolation, I live in a no state income tax state, and I gladly pay higher than national average property tax rates.

Sales taxes are okay too, and there are ways to make them "progressive"; in fact, many States already have rules in that direction such as no sales tax on food, in some States clothing, some States have sales tax holidays for school and hurricane supplies. I know some European countries have "progressive" VAT, i.e. the more luxurious the item the higher the VAT rate. Sure, we could argue about relative luxury, but it really wouldn't be that hard to come to a consensus.

Alas!

Last edited by bale002; 03-05-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 02:42 PM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Should property taxes be done away with?

Yes, at least for the part where it goes to the schools. It seems most of the property tax goes to the schools and less goes to infrastructures. I don't think everyone should be paying taxes on what they don't use. They should also eliminate Federal income tax. Instead, I can back a use tax, like sales tax since it is items being taxed to whoever uses the items being sold and not to everyone else who doesn't need that said item.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Liberal states would collapse the fastest.

And I'm not just saying this.

I watch property taxes around the country.
Ranked by Per Capita and the I’m posting the percentage of the tax rate
You are pretty close on that .... almost all of the Top 10 are Liberal

1. New Jersey 2.16
2. New Hampshire. 1.99
3. Connecticut. 1.67
4. New York. 1.40
5. Vermont. 1.72
6. Wyoming. .55
7. Rhode Island. 1.53
8. Massachusetts. 1.15
9. Illinois. 2.03
10. Maine 1 .23

information from the Tax Foundation

Property tax varies by state. Here's a look at what you'll pay — USAToday

Property taxes, the single largest revenue source for local governments, are ratified, collected and spent almost entirely at the municipal level.

As a result, the United States is a patchwork of property tax codes and depending on where you live, property taxes can be either a trivial expense or a major financial burden.

Generally, property taxes are collected as a set share of the value of a given home or parcel of land. Depending on local laws, home or property values are assessed periodically based on estimated sale prices or they are valued using the sale price at the last acquisition of the property.

Though not all parts of the country use tax revenue the same way, property taxes generally fund fire and police departments, schools and road maintenance, including snow removal, cleaning and repair.

On average, state and local governments in the United States collected $1,518 in property taxes per person during the 2015 fiscal year. However, in some parts of the country, per capita property tax collections were more than double that amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not necessarily true.

See TX and HI.

There property tax is often in lieu of income tax. Yes I am aware the correlation is not perfect.
It’s more than just the effective Tax Rate . Population, income, property value all play a part. Texas and Hawaii are nowhere near the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Explain to me why only the people with properties must be forced to at gunpoint to pay for your roads but not those who don’t own properties but still use the roads?
“Forced at Gunpoint”. Where in the world do you live that collects local property ta es by gunpoint?
It’s already been noted that if you live in any housing at all or own any land and/or building on that land ...property taxes are paid. Renters pay them, it’s folded in the rent.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:53 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Explain to me why only the people with properties must be forced to at gunpoint to pay for your roads but not those who don’t own properties but still use the roads?
Almost everybody lives somewhere. Just because someone doesn't own property does not mean they don't pay property taxes. They just pay more rent to the landlord to cover the cost of property tax. Whoever owns that property has to pay that tax and if they rent it you can be sure that renter is paying the tax for them. Everybody always pays unless you wish to live on the street.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:09 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Prefer state property taxes. Seems fair.

Old 03-05-2020, 03:26 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Prefer state property taxes. Seems fair.
Does it seem fair that to keep your house, farm, property,you must first pay an allowance to the govt, much of it to pay for services you didnt use or ask for and if you are late or fail to pay it can be taken from you?

Old 03-05-2020, 03:41 PM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
So much of them are being wasted on unsustainable government worker pensions, I'd say yes. Ditch property taxes until the government worker Unions are banished once, and for all. They are the Fox in the Henhouse.

And, County worker Cadillac health plans

And, carry-over sick and vacation days year after year

And, County workers getting 4+ weeks of vacation that can be carried over and paid out at the highest pay rate rather than the pay reat at he time they were banked.

And, the use of County owned cars.

And, hidden County Exec employment contracts w/ lucrative severance packages.

And, the School Boards Taj Mahal offices, and bloated Administration.

I could write a book on how County governments are raping property tax payers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies