Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 03:27 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,866,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
There are many former Republicans, and they seem to be a very decent lot, principled and well informed. I know a few very well.

I also know a lot of Republicans who have stuck with the party, and they seem to have collectively lost their minds.

What a bunch of crap, the left hated romney because he was against obama, now that romney is against trump he is your savior....until he maybe for voting yes on the subpoenas for the bidens...

Old 03-06-2020, 03:34 PM

19,454 posts, read 22,362,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What a bunch of crap, the left hated romney because he was against obama, now that romney is against trump he is your savior....until he maybe for voting yes on the subpoenas for the bidens...
Nice word salad.

However the Republican party, as usual, defers to 'eat their own' when confronted by a member who may not see things Trumps way.

Nice party.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:38 PM

51,901 posts, read 52,306,082 times
For everyone of these stories about the Republicans someone that cared enough could go out and dig up the same thing about why someone left the Dem party. Politicians are all dirty and corrupt on some level. This isn't some big smoking gun news story that is going to shock anyone.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:06 PM

18,512 posts, read 7,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Really? What core conservative values does Trump stand for (other than tax cuts that mostly benefited the rich, which he complained about at the time anyway)?
Tax cuts for the rich are not conservative. And not principled.

I don't know what you mean by "values". Conservatives care about staying alive, keeping control of the wealth they created, and (the religious ones, at least) being able to worship as they see fit.

Conservatives and populists will always have immigration restriction at the top of their list of policy priorities.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:13 PM

18,512 posts, read 7,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I disagree.

A party is made up of all kinds of people. It is not a top-down structure, but a bottom-up one.

The national party is a collection of local parties. Sometimes people get into politics and are able to take advantage of the system in some dark corner of the country, real grifters. But the majority are well intentioned people who really care about their local communities and this country, people who are morally upright and ethical.

Both parties have had their problems, but most party activists are truly motivated to serve.

The problem with the Republicans is that their operating model has always been as a mouthpiece and advocate for business interests. That was fine in the early nineteenth century when businesses were local institutions. Money talks, and the more money at your disposal, the more influence you will have, especially with the Republican party. Today, the party serves the interests of truly global corporations and the mega-rich. The small shopkeeper and the Ebay entrpreneur has virtually no voice in the party (unless of course their interests just happen to coincide with that of big business, but it is big business which drives the agenda not the other way around ...).

The well heeled big donors have the ear of Trump and every Republican congressman and senator, either through professional lobbyists or directly through the fundraising apparatus. That is the real corruption today. The local voter is generally ignored.
Both parties serve the interests in bold, but the Democratic Party is their party of choice. It's not 1898.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:12 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,244,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Nice word salad.

However the Republican party, as usual, defers to 'eat their own' when confronted by a member who may not see things Trumps way.

Nice party.
Word salad is a Trump supporter dietetic staple.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:14 PM

30,557 posts, read 21,703,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Schmidt's reasoning is on spot and is part and parcel as to why I slowly left the gop; the party I was raised in but had to leave because of the disgrace that it became over a long period of time.
Yeah, welcome to the Democrat party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9YquW1hI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XTdoG9ock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pii9rdeMAls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzcLoVfyprg

Old 03-06-2020, 05:21 PM

30,557 posts, read 21,703,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
For everyone of these stories about the Republicans someone that cared enough could go out and dig up the same thing about why someone left the Dem party. Politicians are all dirty and corrupt on some level. This isn't some big smoking gun news story that is going to shock anyone.

I left right after Bill. Obama's secret meetings with Louis Farrakhan, hanging with the American hating Rev Wright for 20 years and never hearing a discouraging word, and Installing the only Communist voting Intelligence Head, John "Water Board" Brennan into head of the CIA, just confirmed how far down the Rabbit hole the Democratic party has gone

Old 03-06-2020, 09:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,106,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Why are the only decent Republicans ex-Republicans?
Because they were too cowardly to speak up when they were in the Republican party?

Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 PM

19,454 posts, read 22,362,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Because they were too cowardly to speak up when they were in the Republican party?
No not true. I spoke up quite loudly and I do to this day. I have personally talked to and corresponded with Daines about my concerns, especially the blatant disregard for fiscal responsibility and accountability.

The GOP that I knew is gone. I mean GONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies