Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Left progressive lines right from the NPR playbook. I have a coworker reciting all of this verbatim. You forgot to mention the part about how those same businesses utilize an educated workforce paid for by the taxpayers too. If you're going to recite NPR talking points, be sure to get it right.

There is an arguement for this, I get it to a point. My coworker and other far lefties use this arguement to justify taxing the rich up to 80%.

The rich need to pay their fair share but not 80%. My coworker thinks that anyone making 10M a year should pay 90%, his rational is is that making 1 million a year is enough. Lol, I have to resist the urge to tell him to go screw himself.
There's another reason that progressives pull this nonsense: it's all in the name of equality. They want to make sure that a person who starts with $3,000 in seed money and builds a million-dollar business, employing others, isn't made to appear smarter, more capable, more motivated, or more talented than the guy who painted the white lines on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 01:00 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Without a healthy, safe and prosperous working class, we have no business.

America's greatness manifests in the well being and contentment of it's people. It was for that purpose that the many regulations intended to protect the people and their environment were put in place.

We don't need any more burning rivers, thalidomide babies nor love canals.

I see the Republican party working hard to dismantle all of that. If we continue down this dark path we will be as polluted and unsafe (and our workers as exploited) as China.

No thanks.
And without prosperous businesses, we have no working class. And in spite of all your faux drama, we don't have burning rivers, thalidomide babies or Love Canals any longer-because we can have a healthy environment and successful businesses. Environmental concerns only happen with a successful, prosperous middle class. "Environmentalism" is a luxury afforded to those who are not concerned with simple survival. Try telling those living in areas with food shortages, extreme poverty and actual starvation, that they need to do away with their cooking fires to save the environment. Much of the world is too concerned with simple survival to get into the whole virtue-signaling environmental movement.

And today's Democratic party is working to destroy the working class, businesses, and working to put us in the same class as starving villages in tribal Africa.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Left progressive lines right from the NPR playbook. I have a coworker reciting all of this verbatim. You forgot to mention the part about how those same businesses utilize an educated workforce paid for by the taxpayers too. If you're going to recite NPR talking points, be sure to get it right.

There is an arguement for this, I get it to a point. My coworker and other far lefties use this arguement to justify taxing the rich up to 80%.

The rich need to pay their fair share but not 80%. My coworker thinks that anyone making 10M a year should pay 90%, his rational is is that making 1 million a year is enough. Lol, I have to resist the urge to tell him to go screw himself.
Why? Liberals need to learn just how stupid their ideas sound to others. And I'm afraid that's one place where we lose out. Conservatives are too concerned with hurting someone's feelings or acting like an a-hole and let leftists get away with that crap. While many on the left have no such concerns-and in fact seem to thrive on it.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-07-2020 at 01:16 PM..

Old 03-07-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I think in this day and age, we have to distinguish between small and medium locally owned businesses and the large conglomerate global companies. I agree that local businesses are not the enemy of the workers. There is a personal relationship between the owner and the workers; more of a sense of "we are in this together."

But the large companies seem to just look at the numbers. If they can make more money by shipping jobs oversees, they will do it. Many have done it already. Their emphasis on profits and money for the shareholders makes them forget that it is the labor of their workers who are actually making them profitable. But they don't care where the workers are anymore.

We used to hear about companies who were good corporate citizens. They were good to their workers and helped in their communities. Don't hear that anymore.
The fact is-they are businesses and they are in it to return value to their shareholders-not as a job creation entity. And as you said-when we have government policies that make it uneconomical to manufacture in this country, and in fact punish companies that do so-upper management WILL make the decision to produce offshore. They have to. Now-that is a big part of the reason to have intelligent tax and regulatory policies from government that encourages companies to produce in this country. Government does not create jobs, but it can certainly set policies that can destroy jobs, or a tax and regulatory policies that encourages job creation.

And regardless of where they produce, once they have made that decision-it only makes sense to keep employees happy. To pay a fair wage with competitive benefits for the jobs they are doing. Turnover, losing good employees, hurts businesses badly-and in challenging, technical fields, it can take years to replace the "tribal knowledge" of a veteran employee. Especially in smaller, manufacturing companies (maybe not so much in the McJobs fields). Businesses have to compete for good employes with other businesses. And policies that allow businesses to succeed and prosper, increases that competition and drives up wages-exactly as we are seeing in this country today.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:16 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why? Liberals need to learn just how stupid their ideas sound to others. And I'm afraid that's one place where we lose out. Conservatives are too concerned with hurting someone's feelings or acting like a a-hole and let leftists get away with that crap. While many on the left have no such concerns-and in fact seem to thrive on it.
He's actually my direct supervisor and I work with him everyday. I don't want to rock the boat, but yeah, I get what you are saying.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
He's actually my direct supervisor and I work with him everyday. I don't want to rock the boat, but yeah, I get what you are saying.
Yep-understood. Kind of surprising that someone that proposes taxing the business creators out of business would be promoted to management.

Old 03-07-2020, 01:46 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
OP your whole argument rests on debunked trickle-down economics. When will you stop trying the same thing that's been driving down wages and increasing inequality since the 1980s???

Literally half of your points are "help the richest few, and hope they'll spread some breadcrumbs around for the rest of us", and that's helping typical working Americans?

Old 03-07-2020, 01:58 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Trickle-down economics is the religion of America's right. Every time a Republican president cuts taxes for the rich, blows up the deficit, and tanks the economy, Republicans say "it'll work next time!"

Old 03-07-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
OP your whole argument rests on debunked trickle-down economics. When will you stop trying the same thing that's been driving down wages and increasing inequality since the 1980s???

Literally half of your points are "help the richest few, and hope they'll spread some breadcrumbs around for the rest of us", and that's helping typical working Americans?
And your argument is based on...what? Kill jobs, destroy the middle class and make everyone dependant on government? In case you missed it-wages are up under the Trump administration-especially those of the lowest-level wage earners.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Um...you do realize that Sanders said so in his own words, right?
You're taking it out of context to build your own strawman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies