Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:22 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Lived in TN for 20 years and my husband is a born and bred east TN retired cop. You have a lot of northern folks moving in. GA will be lost to the Ds in a few years for the same reason (in-migration). Stay vigilant in TN because I'm afraid that one day not that far down the road you guys will wake up, the state will be blue and you won't even know how it happened.
I agree with this. I would guess the majority of transplants vote democrat. We need to encourage our young people to get out there and vote.
My grand turns 18 in July and was inquiring if he would be able to vote in the presidential election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 11:37 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
[b][u][/spoiler]

Yet, the state may still have a few weak areas.
Spoiler
People around here usually tend to care greatly about the natural beauty around them. If they took the short-term costs to fixing climate change as actually beneficial, this could be a huge turning point.

As I’ve said, a lot of eligible people in this state don’t vote; almost half, one of the highest percentages in the country. If many of them started voting, who knows what would happen.

TDOT nearly ran out of money several years ago, and Clay County is so full of poor people that even the government themselves is somewhat poor. If enough people ever realize that their own conservative methods are backfiring, it may spark a radical change. Even I actually feel very sorry for Clay County despite personal disagreements.

.[/spoiler]
You are referring to 2014 and the lack of FEDERAL funding?
And Clay county is so rural the geography and lack of connection is going to prevent businesses from ever locating there. You cant have great economic growth in every little Podunk town in the state regardless of which party is charge.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:02 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
One more thing:

Force ALL public workers into powerful public worker's unions that have loads of cash to put the D politicians in their pockets.

Look to CA, NY, IL and NJ as wildly successful examples.

You'll see so much "progress" in TN your head will spin.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:19 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Nothing.

In Tennessee it's about abortion, gay marriage, and "family values." Democrats aren't going to surrender to the Christian Right on those issues. Therefore, the party is pretty much dead in the Bible Belt outside of the major cities.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:28 PM

2,985 posts, read 1,749,653 times
What do you think the Democratic Party can do to win more votes in Tennessee?

Maybe have that absolute moron dem rep Cohen eat more KFC in the House?

Old 03-09-2020, 02:24 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
The cost of electricity rises and shuts off the air conditioning. Then global warming cooks all the carpetbaggers. Move north or stay north.

Old 03-09-2020, 03:42 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Nevada is already democratic, but I agree with the rest.
Only Reno and Las Vegas are democratic. The rest of the smaller towns and cites are republican.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Only Reno and Las Vegas are democratic. The rest of the smaller towns and cites are republican.
True, but over 2/3 of the state population lives in blue Clark County, so the state as a whole is blue even if the majority of land area isn't.

Such a rural/urban divide isn't uncommon; Tennessee is pretty unusual for having five conservative major metro areas (vs. 7 total, and Clarksville even seems more conservative than midsized Cookeville), and Idaho's Blaine County is unusual for being a blue rural county. I wonder if that's why Arizona may be flipping; they have so little rural population and such fast-growing major cities.

Old 03-09-2020, 04:49 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Raise taxes, take away people's health care plans, open up the borders & nominate a Communist.

Old 03-09-2020, 05:21 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Our university educated son is working on escaping from NJ and joining us in TN.

He won't be voting blue.

I can assure you of that.

Sorry OP. Not sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies