Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 AM

3,078 posts, read 3,263,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, this makes no sense to me.

I was out shopping yesterday in northern Illinois and all the stores here were well stocked. I saw no empty shelves anywhere.
Lot's of variation depending on exactly where you live. Places where there have been confirmed cases are more likely to have panic hoarding.

I've noticed in the last couple of days:

- no hand sanitizer on shelves
- decent amount of hand soap
- very little toilet paper left
- no rubbing alcohol on shelves
- very little hydrogen peroxide
- plenty of paper towels/tissues
- very little water (bulk/cheap water is all gone, only thing left are the more expensive brands e.g. Evian)
- not sure about masks as I have plenty
- not sure about ammo as I have plenty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yeah, this makes no sense to me.

me neither. who would have known that charmin would be the hot-ticket item during the zombie apocalypse.

bottled water is another item that's having a rush currently that i don't understand. in our home we have an emergency stash of water in case of power outage ( most likely due to earthquake ) affecting the water pumps. not sure why people believe there's not going to be running water because of the corona virus.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:00 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
what the heck is the deal with toilet paper? i mean seriously.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:03 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I have seen at least one article, claiming diarreah is part of the virus.

Around here, in my small town, all the shelves were full, when we went shopping over the weekend, I will be going out again today, & see if anything has changed. We have enough of everything, I don't plan on buying anything due to virus. We always have a well stocked freezer & pantry.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:16 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Fear of being quarantined at home for weeks with no toilet paper. We buy in bulk so this would never be an issue.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:35 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Our Houston Costco had a limit of 2 on water and paper and cleaning products today.

What's up with all the water?

I hope to live to see the day that there is a deposit on plastic bottles. Or a full ban.

Let the people who use it pay for the clean up. A filter on the frig and/or faucet is just as effective, cheaper and it it composts.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Our Houston Costco had a limit of 2 on water and paper and cleaning products today.

I hope to live to see the day that there is a deposit on plastic bottles. Or a full ban.

Let the people who use it pay for the clean up. A filter on the frig and/or faucet is just as effective, cheaper and it it composts.
We already have a deposit in plastics here but if your water supply is contaminated with something like arsenic or poisons you should have another supply. But, judging by the number of dumpster divers we get most people don't recycle even with a deposit.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I’m a low key prepper - I have the good masks and some other items. This is my only reason to have a weapon. Zombie apocalypse- may not have come, but people go insane if they think someone gonna get them. I think in Missouri -a family broke quarantine, and the man was warned stiffer measures would be taken if left his home again. I can see some folks going ballistic if told they are on lock down. I hope it all clears up by spring, but for now - just staying informed.
I'm going to start using that term. I have 2 to 3 weeks of food in the pantry and 6 weeks of freeze dried food for each person in the house.

I've had people ask me why I have freeze dried food and a few other things and I tell them I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse. We both laugh and they forget about it. Once I made the mistake and explained the "9 meals to anarchy" reasoning and my mother-in-law quickly stated that she would be coming to my house. I replied that people are either an asset or a liability and I will have to eliminate liabilities. I think her plans have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You know what helps with hoarding? Gouging.
Very few on this forum get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9QEkw6_O6w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMzJAdIAes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I293Ci7FddI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

I did buy TP this past weekend at Sam's Club but I actually needed it and it was on sale.

I don't worry about water. I have half a dozen different filters and numerous lakes and creeks within walking distance.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:58 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
I've bought nothing. I'll live.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:09 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
me neither. who would have known that charmin would be the hot-ticket item during the zombie apocalypse.

bottled water is another item that's having a rush currently that i don't understand. in our home we have an emergency stash of water in case of power outage ( most likely due to earthquake ) affecting the water pumps. not sure why people believe there's not going to be running water because of the corona virus.
I don't get that either unless you are on a well and the electric goes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies