Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 02:52 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it's funny that in a pinch people are terrified of just using their finger.
And then you have to find soap as fecal matter passes on the virus.

https://vosizneias.com/2020/03/10/ne...is-discovered/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 02:57 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The water in SA comes from desalination plants that can't take enough of the salt out of the water. Thus pallets of water are brought in to SA as their water is pretty bad.

https://borgenproject.org/the-water-...-saudi-arabia/
However the water piped into almost every American community where we now have trucks burning diesel and bringing an endless supply of bottles to big box store, super markets and convenience stores is good.

But still people fear drinking the tap even before or thinking that there will be an actual situation that sees the local water supply getting contaminated.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:43 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Lot's of variation depending on exactly where you live. Places where there have been confirmed cases are more likely to have panic hoarding.

I've noticed in the last couple of days:

- no hand sanitizer on shelves
- decent amount of hand soap
- very little toilet paper left
- no rubbing alcohol on shelves
- very little hydrogen peroxide
- plenty of paper towels/tissues
- very little water (bulk/cheap water is all gone, only thing left are the more expensive brands e.g. Evian)
- not sure about masks as I have plenty
- not sure about ammo as I have plenty
There's no hand sanitizer here. It's going for ridiculous amounts on ebay. Had I known anything like this would happen, I'd have bought up all the hand sanitizer and sold it for big profits. By the time I paid attention to all of this, it was already sold out. Oh well. I don't use the stuff really since it hurts my skin.

Almost all hand soap is sold out. Good thing I stock up already.

At the food bank today they gave out small packs of toilet paper. I was thrilled. The toilet paper has been selling out in stores. I have bladder disease and Crohns, so I go through a lot more toilet paper than most people do.

Rubbing alcohol is sold out. Also sold out is any lotion or after sun type of stuff with aloe in it. People are adding the alcohol to the aloe for homemade hand sanitizer.

Hydrogen peroxide is almost sold out around here.

Paper towels are getting low some places.

Water selling out some places.

Masks have been gone for a while. I know this because this lady I sometimes talk to needs them to leave her home because she has no immune system. She has been having trouble finding any.

The tap water here is nasty. It tastes super nasty. Filters don't get the nasty out. Where I once lived in my previous state had water that tasted like bottled water. I had no trouble drinking the tap water. The water here makes me gag, and if you use it to make tea or koolaid without filtering it then even adding flavor to it doesn't make it drinkable.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:47 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Our Houston Costco had a limit of 2 on water and paper and cleaning products today.

What's up with all the water?

I hope to live to see the day that there is a deposit on plastic bottles. Or a full ban.

Let the people who use it pay for the clean up. A filter on the frig and/or faucet is just as effective, cheaper and it it composts.
Also, the city water in Houston is good. It may not be as tasty as the bottled options to some people's pallets, but if we get set back 100 years here, water will not be an actual problem.

People are just looking for ways to stoke their own fears. And toilet paper? What? Are we having a shortage of toilet paper? Really?

A lot of this is just plain silly.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
With all the current hoarding going on it seems that people are stocking up on numerous items that make no sense to. Most of know there's been a run on masks, soaps, toilet paper and water. what are the odd things you've found missing on the shelves when you go out shopping or online? What price gouging have you noticed?

(Don't include eBay as people are already out of their minds with their items and prices in relation to both questions)
Those of us who live rurally laugh at the city panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies