Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,196,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The thing is, hospitals are not that far away from being overwhelmed in some Sun Belt states now. Arizona ICU beds are at 84% capacity, for example. Florida seems to be at about 77% capacity.

Given the number of cases in these states is doubling each week now - and any policy change take a few weeks to register in hospitalizations - there's literally nothing that can probably be done to stop hospitals form being overwhelmed a few weeks from now.
Isn’t that what was said before, and instead, 10’s of millions of dollars of treatment centers never saw a patient and were taken down?

Old 06-19-2020, 02:52 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Isn’t that what was said before, and instead, 10’s of millions of dollars of treatment centers never saw a patient and were taken down?
The way pandemics work is if you're successful, the effort ends up looking like it's wasted.

I really don't see a reason to debate this though. We should know by July 4th what happens.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
Quote:
The thing is, hospitals are not that far away from being overwhelmed in some Sun Belt states now. Arizona ICU beds are at 84% capacity, for example. Florida seems to be at about 77% capacity.

Given the number of cases in these states is doubling each week now - and any policy change take a few weeks to register in hospitalizations - there's literally nothing that can probably be done to stop hospitals form being overwhelmed a few weeks from now.
Yes but what is the normal capacity? It is not 0% so that may be fine and the 1 article even says it is not a major concern right now. Why would any hospital maintain a tremendous unneeded capacity?

Hospitals have the ability to convert beds and bring additional ICU beds online in a surge situation when necessary. Within 48 hours, hospitals have the capability to dramatically increase statewide staffed capacity in the event of a surge situation

Old 06-19-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The way pandemics work is if you're successful, the effort ends up looking like it's wasted.

I really don't see a reason to debate this though. We should know by July 4th what happens.
Overreaction has proven those efforts wasted millions upon millions of dollars, while also decimating an economy and causing other major health problems.

Good idea.

Old 06-19-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I just feel like everyone forgot what we were trying to accomplish. Remember flatten the curve? Not cure and eradicate. That is a long term goal through more effective treatment and a vaccine, for now we should expect lows and highs in cases but keep living. If hospitals become overwhelmed then I'll start to get concerned.
Bingo

Old 06-20-2020, 09:25 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
20 new cases. I keep hoping for better, but I guess 20 isn't that bad considering how people are acting in our region.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...ept-new-cases/

Old 06-20-2020, 02:02 PM

684 posts, read 419,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I just feel like everyone forgot what we were trying to accomplish. Remember flatten the curve?

I do....turns out it was a pipe dream, with the current "leadership" occupying the white house.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I do....turns out it was a pipe dream, with the current "leadership" occupying the white house.
Fauci’s occupying the White House? Isn’t he the expert? He said the US had nothing to worry about.

Old 06-20-2020, 03:26 PM

684 posts, read 419,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Fauci’s occupying the White House? Isn’t he the expert? He said the US had nothing to worry about.

I can't see what you said, since you're blocked, but I find it fascinating that you follow me around like a puppy dog. I don't reply to you, but you reply to literally every single post I make. It's kind of sad, really. You're like the little kid jumping up and down trying to get a word in while the adults are talking. I guess you must get something out if it?

Old 06-20-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I can't see what you said, since you're blocked, but I find it fascinating that you follow me around like a puppy dog. I don't reply to you, but you reply to literally every single post I make. It's kind of sad, really. You're like the little kid jumping up and down trying to get a word in while the adults are talking. I guess you must get something out if it?
You replied and quoted my post just yesterday.

The country isn’t going to stay shut down so the economy can crumble for a virus with a 90%+ survival rate just so Dems can try to gain an edge in November...and those who are scared of the virus have every right to stay home until it’s hopefully soon gone.

Last edited by erieguy; 06-20-2020 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies