Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 09:24 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Boom. St. Patrick's Day Parade cancelled.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...d-coronavirus/
It's a good preventive measure. Kudos.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:55 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's a good preventive measure. Kudos.
I do wonder where it ends though...cancel all events, shut down transportation...everyone hide in your house/apartment. At some point you have to still just live life unless you decide government needs to quarantine everyone like China. This virus is probably doing more harm economically to the world than it ever did to the general health of the population. Oh well...

Old 03-11-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I do wonder where it ends though...cancel all events, shut down transportation...everyone hide in your house/apartment. At some point you have to still just live life unless you decide government needs to quarantine everyone like China. This virus is probably doing more harm economically to the world than it ever did to the general health of the population. Oh well...
What's more important? Avoiding a steep recession, or reducing the death rate by around 50% because the hospitals aren't overwhelmed due to a lack of beds?

Old 03-11-2020, 12:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Ugh, so SRU has extended spring break 2 extra weeks since it seems they need that time to setup online classes for the rest of the semester. I get it but 2 weeks off means a lot for these kids to make up and also some kids (my daughter) do not learn as well online and like to study together. There is a reason we did not pay for her to take online classes.

Again I get but also now I'm basically paying for an apartment for the next 5 months that is not needed.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020...o-coronavirus/

Old 03-11-2020, 12:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Quote:
What's more important? Avoiding a steep recession, or reducing the death rate by around 50% because the hospitals aren't overwhelmed due to a lack of beds?

Sorry I respect much of what you say but there is zero indication of this. Even if this spread the vast majority of people that get it will not require hospitalization.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Sorry I respect much of what you say but there is zero indication of this. Even if this spread the vast majority of people that get it will not require hospitalization.
Bingo

The fear mongering via the media, and the state of panic many are in, is truly amazing.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Honestly...it’s a hard call because there is little evidence to suggest that if you’re under the age of 50 and healthy that this is any more dangerous than a bad cold. It’s the uniqueness of it that’s scaring people and the complications that are arising for those that have underlying health issues. A recession could bankrupt companies, put people on the street and hurt a great deal more people health wise because they can’t afford things. And if transportation reduces, more food shortages, more issues with basic utilities because parts aren’t coming in. Granted a parade isn’t going to shut down life, but we’ll see how far things get pushed. I wouldn’t be so blasé about a recession. Lots of lives were lost during the Great Recession of 2008 because of things you and I never got to see personally.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
The point of mitigation strategies is to ensure there is enough hospital equipment for everyone who needs critical care and has a chance of recovery.

If we have only 50 respirators in the Pittsburgh area and they're all in use, the 51st patient is going to be screwed.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The point of mitigation strategies is to ensure there is enough hospital equipment for everyone who needs critical care and has a chance of recovery.

If we have only 50 respirators in the Pittsburgh area and they're all in use, the 51st patient is going to be screwed.
Yep...but there is only so much you can do without greater harm to society as a whole. It’s a tough decision to make. Stopping the parade may be an easy one, but if you start isolating Pittsburgh further you risk snowballing consequences that could hurt a lot more people than you save.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:22 PM

Chances are there are already thousands of people infected in NYC and short of putting the city on National Guard lockdown, accepting the consequences of the spread may be the best option and focusing on the elderly first and foremost. Keeping everyone apart is impossible and impractical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies